* PostScript font access problem
@ 2002-05-23 10:33 Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2002-05-23 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: roegel

I have what seems a very common font problem.
I have had this problem before, but now I really need to understand
why it doesn't work and to get it working.

For the record, I have installed the latest ConTeXt, and am using
the TL6 (not yet 7) with the pdftex on CTAN.

My input file is

\starttext

test

\showbodyfont[pos]

\stoptext

I get:

-----------------------
(/usr/share/TeX/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex))kpathsea: Running mktextfm
+ec-utmr8a
/usr/share/TeX/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map typeface abbreviation c- for
+ec-utmr8a.
/usr/share/TeX/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update
+/usr/share/TeX/texmf/fontname/special.map?
mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-utmr8a
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf  ec-utmr8a
! I can't find file `ec-utmr8a'.
<*> ...jfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-utmr8a
-----------------------

>From what I see, ec-utmr8a is a synonym for utmr8t (see type-enc.tex).
Then I have both utmr8t.tfm and utmr8t.vf. Hence, ConTeXt
should have what it needs.

utmr8t.vf leads to utmr8r (from vftovpl utmr8t.vf) and I have
utmr8r.tfm as well as utmr8a.pfb to which it leads
in dvips/urw/utm.map (and also in dvips/psfonts.map).

Anyway, I think these considerations are irrelevant, since it seems
ConTeXt doesn't follow the synonyms. Or have I again forgotten
something?

Thanks,

Denis

* Re: PostScript font access problem
@ 2002-05-23 10:47 ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2002-05-23 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried your example and if I leave out the [pos]  all goes well...

So I just had \showbodyfont

Regards,

Frans

@ 2002-05-23 14:39   ` Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2002-05-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:47:32PM +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
> I tried your example and if I leave out the [pos]  all goes well...

Maybe, but I want to know why it doesn't work with [pos], when
it fact it should work, since I have (as I explained) all necessary
font files!

Denis

> So I just had \showbodyfont
>
> Regards,
>
> Frans
>
> > My input file is
> >

> > \starttext
> >
> > test
> >
> > \showbodyfont[pos]
> >
> > \stoptext
> >
> > I get:

* Re: PostScript font access problem
@ 2002-05-23 15:13   ` Denis B. Roegel
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2002-05-23 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:47:32PM +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
> I tried your example and if I leave out the [pos]  all goes well...
>
> So I just had \showbodyfont

After some further study, I found

 1) that there are several typos in type-enc.tex, where `uhvro8a'
    is written as `uhvo8a'; one of these lines was

     \definefontsynonym [ec-uhvo8a]                 [uhvro8t] [encoding=ec]

 2) that I need to add \usetypescript[berry][ec]

Now, when I write

\usetypescript[berry][ec]
\definefontsynonym [ec-uhvro8a]                 [uhvro8t] [encoding=ec]
\starttext
\showbodyfont[pos]
\stoptext

it works.

It seems not many people are trying PostScript fonts with Karl Berry's names!

Btw, where is it specified that ec is the default encoding?

@ 2002-05-23 15:59     ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2002-05-23 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried your new example and indeed I get into a loop of "TFM file not
found" for "ptrmsl" errors. Maybe some typo somewhere is the cause but I
don't understand these font things *at all* so I'll just have to leave it at
that...

But I'm glad that you (partly) figured out how to fix it at your end!

Best regards, Frans

@ 2002-05-23 17:19       ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-05-23 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 23 May 2002 11:59 am, Frans Goddijn wrote:
> I tried your new example and indeed I get into a loop of "TFM file not
> found" for "ptrmsl" errors. Maybe some typo somewhere is the cause but I
> don't understand these font things *at all* so I'll just have to leave it
> at that...
>
> But I'm glad that you (partly) figured out how to fix it at your end!
>
> Best regards, Frans
>
> > It seems not many people are trying PostScript fonts with Karl Berry's

As an old plain texer I decided early on that the Context font scheme was
too complex and too fussy for my taste. In fact I never got it to work. So
I call for fonts explicity like the following:

\definebodyfont[10pt,12pt,14pt,16pt][rm][tf=pncr8r sa 1,
 bf=pncb8r sa 1, it=pncri8r sa 1, sl=pncro8r sa 1, bs=pncbo8r sa 1,
bi=pncbi8r sa 1]

This is probably wrong, or at least not socially acceptable,
but it works for me :-)

And for headlines etc. I just use the old plain tex formula, like

\font\bigf = cmssbx10 at 60pt

The idea that I have to fool with a script just to include a font seems
a bit excessive to me. YMMV of course.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com

* Re: PostScript font access problem
@ 2002-05-23 18:00     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-23 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 05:13 PM 5/23/2002 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:
>On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:47:32PM +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
> > I tried your example and if I leave out the [pos]  all goes well...
> >
> > So I just had \showbodyfont
>
>After some further study, I found
>
>  1) that there are several typos in type-enc.tex, where `uhvro8a'
>     is written as `uhvo8a'; one of these lines was
>
>      \definefontsynonym [ec-uhvo8a]                 [uhvro8t] [encoding=ec]

hm, it's quite hard to figure out the right names, so if you have a better
list ... let me know (actually, i found out that for instance the texnansi
tfm's are not complete)

>  2) that I need to add \usetypescript[berry][ec]
>
>Now, when I write
>
>\usetypescript[berry][ec]
>\definefontsynonym [ec-uhvro8a]                 [uhvro8t] [encoding=ec]
>\starttext
>\showbodyfont[pos]
>\stoptext
>
>it works.
>
>It seems not many people are trying PostScript fonts with Karl Berry's names!
>
>Btw, where is it specified that ec is the default encoding?

did you set up your cont-sys.tex file (search for the rme)

adding

   \setupencoding[default=ec]
   \usetypescript[berry][ec]

should do the trick

the berry/ec script sets the free usable tex-live fonts to their berry names

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: PostScript font access problem
@ 2002-05-23 18:35       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-05-23 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Donnerstag, 23. Mai 2002 17:59 schrieb Frans Goddijn:
> I tried your new example and indeed I get into a loop of "TFM file not
> found" for "ptrmsl" errors. Maybe some typo somewhere is the cause but I

That means, it is looked for an Adobe Times Slanted font.
try
\setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic] % avoids ugly slanted fonts
or
\definefontsynonym[ptrmsl][utrmi] % or like that

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* Re: PostScript font access problem
@ 2002-05-24  7:50     ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2002-05-24  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

I have also done too much trial and error here!
My test file is

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\starttext
\showbodyfont[pos]
\stoptext

I think the the line
\usetypescript[berry][ec]
Is in cont-sys.tex as
\setupencoding [\s!default=ec]
and
\usetypescript [berry] [\defaultencoding]

I get the following errors and warnings
Missing character: There is no A in font ec-uhvro8a!
Missing character: There is no g in font ec-uhvro8a!
Missing character: There is no A in font ec-uhvro8a!
Missing character: There is no g in font ec-uhvro8a!
 [1.1{/sw/share/texmf.os/dvips/config/pdftex.map}
Warning: pdfetex (file Ttbbold.map): cannot open font map file

The pdf file is produced without \ss\sl and \ss\it characters

I have ec-uhvro8a.tfm and ec-uhvro8a.vf

I modify the test file to

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\definefontsynonym [ec-uhvro8a]                 [uhvro8t] [encoding=ec]
\starttext
\showbodyfont[pos]
\stoptext

And disaster sets in because uhvro8t.tfm is not found

Where did you get this file from?

Is your modification above the correct one?

>Btw, where is it specified that ec is the default encoding?
This is in my cont-sys.tex as shown above

I would actually really like

\showbodyfont[postscript]

To work since the characters are more equal in size and density I can make
them the size I want by adding the \definetypeface lines as shown below.

\setupoutput[pdftex]
\definetypeface[pos][ss][sans][helvetica][default][rscale=.9,encoding=ec]
\definetypeface[pos][tt][mono][courier]  [default][rscale=1.1,encoding=ec]
\starttext
\showbodyfont[pos]
\stoptext

--
Nigel

* Re: PostScript font access problem
@ 2002-05-27 20:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-27 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, roegel

At 12:33 PM 5/23/2002 +0200, Denis B. Roegel wrote:

>I have what seems a very common font problem.
>I have had this problem before, but now I really need to understand
>why it doesn't work and to get it working.
>
>For the record, I have installed the latest ConTeXt, and am using
>the TL6 (not yet 7) with the pdftex on CTAN.
>
>My input file is
>

>\starttext
>
>test
>
>\showbodyfont[pos]
>
>\stoptext
>
>I get:
>
>-----------------------
>(/usr/share/TeX/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex))kpathsea: Running
>mktextfm
>+ec-utmr8a
>/usr/share/TeX/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map typeface abbreviation
>c- for
>+ec-utmr8a.
>/usr/share/TeX/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update
>+/usr/share/TeX/texmf/fontname/special.map?
>mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-utmr8a
>This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)
>
>kpathsea: Running mktexmf  ec-utmr8a

this report tells you that ec-somename (texfont convention) is searched for,

   \usetypescriprt[berry][ec]

will map the (default) fonts onto the berry names