* Flowing text around a figure
@ 2002-05-20 21:49 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-05-20 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to flow a paragraph around a figure. In fact, I'm trying to
do something very much like the example in the manual section 13.3: the
paragraph with the various cows. However, the graphic in my version of
"\placefigure[left]{none}{\externalfigure[bkoe]}" is getting overwritten
by the text. Am I missing some necessary step?

I note that in section 12.2, the way to do this seems to be with
\startfiguretext... But the manual says: "When the text is longer than
expected, then it will _not_ flow around the float." That seems to be
true: when I try it the latter part of the paragraph does not flow under
the figure.

But I also see in that section that the text does flow under a
left-aligned figure. As does the "cows" paragraph in 13.3 without using
\startfiguretext at all. How do I do that?

Am using 2002.5.20,

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                The King in Yellow
http://sattre-press.com/                 by Robert W. Chambers

* Re: Flowing text around a figure
@ 2002-05-21  6:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-21  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:49 PM 5/20/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I am trying to flow a paragraph around a figure. In fact, I'm trying to
>do something very much like the example in the manual section 13.3: the
>paragraph with the various cows. However, the graphic in my version of
>"\placefigure[left]{none}{\externalfigure[bkoe]}" is getting overwritten
>by the text. Am I missing some necessary step?
>
>I note that in section 12.2, the way to do this seems to be with
>\startfiguretext... But the manual says: "When the text is longer than
>expected, then it will _not_ flow around the float." That seems to be
>true: when I try it the latter part of the paragraph does not flow under
>the figure.
>
>But I also see in that section that the text does flow under a
>left-aligned figure. As does the "cows" paragraph in 13.3 without using
>\startfiguretext at all. How do I do that?
>
>Am using 2002.5.20,

can you make me a minimal file that shows the problem?

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Flowing text around a figure
@ 2002-05-21 10:06 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-05-21 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Monday, May 20, 2002 Bill McClain wrote:

BM> I am trying to flow a paragraph around a figure. In fact, I'm trying to
BM> do something very much like the example in the manual section 13.3: the
BM> paragraph with the various cows. However, the graphic in my version of
BM> "\placefigure[left]{none}{\externalfigure[bkoe]}" is getting overwritten
BM> by the text. Am I missing some necessary step?

Ending the text with a \par? I noticed that the wrapping didn't
work if the text wasn't explicitly ended (either by a physical
\par or by a an empty line --the \par is needed in macros because
you cannot ensure that the user will insert the empty line, and an
empty \par should not give trouble.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Flowing text around a figure
@ 2002-05-21 13:24   ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-05-21 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Tue, 21 May 2002 08:53:23 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> can you make me a minimal file that shows the problem?

I've found that it has to do with the content of my text. Any paragraph
beginning with a block does not flow properly. The best workaround I
have found is to insert a \strut at the beginning of the text where it
starts with a block.

Here is a sample result (37k):
    http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/example1.pdf

Here is the graphic (28k):
    http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/test-a.png

And this is the source:

* * *

\useexternalfigure[initial-a][test-a][type=png, height=50pt, width=50pt]

\starttext

% Good.
\placefigure[left]{none}{\externalfigure[initial-a]}
Now is the time for all good men. \input tufte
\blank

% No good. Text begins with a block
\placefigure[left]{none}{\externalfigure[initial-a]}
{\sc Now is the time for all good men.} \input tufte
\blank

% Good. Text begins with a character.
\placefigure[left]{none}{\externalfigure[initial-a]}
x {\sc Now is the time for all good men.} \input tufte
\blank

% No good. Any block is a problem
\placefigure[left]{none}{\externalfigure[initial-a]}
{Now is the time for all good men.} \input tufte
\blank

% Good. Workaround: begin text with zero-width strut.
\placefigure[left]{none}{\externalfigure[initial-a]}
\strut {\sc Now is the time for all good men.} \input tufte

\stoptext

* * *

-Bill
--

@ 2002-05-27 20:35     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-05-27 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:24 AM 5/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>On Tue, 21 May 2002 08:53:23 +0200
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
> > can you make me a minimal file that shows the problem?
>
>I've found that it has to do with the content of my text. Any paragraph
>beginning with a block does not flow properly. The best workaround I
>have found is to insert a \strut at the beginning of the text where it
>starts with a block.

right, this is a known weakness: if you start a par with a \command, you
may end up with yes/no indentation or some everypar interference (can for
instance be due to the fact that the command can start a group and
aftergroup things can be messed up), your \strut solution is ok (\indent \
noindent or \dontleavehmode is also ok), since they start the paragraph