* Fonts driving me crazy
@ 2002-06-05 10:41 Rob van Swol
From: Rob van Swol @ 2002-06-05 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Despite reading almost everything I can find in the mailing list and
docs I do not succeed with some simple font tests.

I use the latest Context  and tetex 1.0 (and latest pdftex, pdfetex) on
SGI Irix. Everything works fine except fonts. I have run texfont
--encoding=ec --batch type-tmf.dat and I get ec-raw--utmb8a.tfm,
ec-utmb8a.tfm and ec-utmb8a.vf (but no ec-raw--utmb8a.vf) files in the
correct directories. I also have the map files with lines like:

ec-raw-utmb8a NimbusRomNo9L-Medi 4 < utmb8a.pfb ec.enc

I have not enabled \autoloadmapfilestrue

When I run my testfile I get no error messages (assumming: 'needs map
file ...' are no errors). But when I start xdvi I get:

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+120/600
--dpi 720 ec-raw-ucrr8a
mktexpk: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1+120/600; nonstopmode; input
ec-raw-ucrr8a
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.1)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf  ec-raw-ucrr8a
! I can't find file `ec-raw-ucrr8a'.
<*> ...1+120/600; nonstopmode; input ec-raw-ucrr8a

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.

If I run my testfile with \usetypescript[berry][ec]
I get a error message running texexec:

mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input utmr8t
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.1)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf  utmr8t
! I can't find file `utmr8t'.
<*> ...:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input utmr8t

Indeed I don't have utmr8t files (watch the last 't')

Any clues??

Regards,
Rob van Swol

Here is my testfile:

\loadmapfile[ec-urw-palatino.map]
\loadmapfile[ec-adobe-utopia.map]
\loadmapfile[ec-urw-helvetica.map]
\loadmapfile[ec-urw-times.map]
\loadmapfile[ec-urw-bookman.map]
\setupencoding[default=ec]
% \usetypescript[berry][ec]
\starttext
\showbodyfont[pos,12pt]
\stoptext

Rob W. van Swol
National Aerospace Laboratory NLR       Tel. +31 527 248252
P.O. Box 153                            Fax  +31 527 248210
8300 AD Emmeloord                       E-Mail vanswol@nlr.nl
The Netherlands                         http://www.neonet.nl/

* Re: Fonts driving me crazy
@ 2002-06-05 11:13 ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2002-06-05 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I use the latest Context  and tetex 1.0 (and latest pdftex, pdfetex) on
> SGI Irix. Everything works fine except fonts. I have run texfont
> --encoding=ec --batch type-tmf.dat and I get ec-raw--utmb8a.tfm,
> ec-utmb8a.tfm and ec-utmb8a.vf (but no ec-raw--utmb8a.vf) files in the
> correct directories. I also have the map files with lines like:

Was the double dash (--) a typo in the email?

> ec-raw-utmb8a NimbusRomNo9L-Medi 4 < utmb8a.pfb ec.enc
>
> I have not enabled \autoloadmapfilestrue
I find no success unless I enable \autoloadmapfilestrue

There are a lot of warning messages though!

> When I run my testfile I get no error messages (assumming: 'needs map
> file ...' are no errors). But when I start xdvi I get:

I use \setupoutput[pdftex]
Giving pdf directly rather than using dvi

--
Nigel

* Re: Fonts driving me crazy
@ 2002-06-05 11:58   ` Rob van Swol
From: Rob van Swol @ 2002-06-05 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nigel,

Thanks for your help!

Nigel King wrote:

> > ec-utmb8a.tfm and ec-utmb8a.vf (but no ec-raw--utmb8a.vf) files in the
> > correct directories. I also have the map files with lines like:
>
> Was the double dash (--) a typo in the email?

It's a typo indeed

Ok. When I use \autoloadmapfilestrue (and taking the \loadmapfile
instruction out of the document) AND  \setupoutput[pdftex] it works
fine!!

So, what is the use of \loadmapfile and  \autoloadmapfilestrue ?

Secondly, I succeed using \setupoutput[pdftex], which indicates that
xdvi is perhaps not configured correctly?? How do I tell xdvi where to
find the files?

Finally, I have some warning messages like the following:

Warning: pdfetex (file
../share/texmf/pdftex/config/context/original-ams-cmr.map): entry for
`cmbsy10' already exists, duplicates ignored

Where should I look for these duplicate mappings apart from the path
mentioned in the warning message?

@ 2002-06-05 21:45   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-05 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Rob van Swol, ntg-context

At 12:13 PM 6/5/2002 +0100, Nigel King wrote:
> > I use the latest Context  and tetex 1.0 (and latest pdftex, pdfetex) on
> > SGI Irix. Everything works fine except fonts. I have run texfont
> > --encoding=ec --batch type-tmf.dat and I get ec-raw--utmb8a.tfm,
> > ec-utmb8a.tfm and ec-utmb8a.vf (but no ec-raw--utmb8a.vf) files in the
> > correct directories. I also have the map files with lines like:
>
>Was the double dash (--) a typo in the email?
>

> > ec-raw-utmb8a NimbusRomNo9L-Medi 4 < utmb8a.pfb ec.enc
> >
> > I have not enabled \autoloadmapfilestrue
>I find no success unless I enable \autoloadmapfilestrue
>
>There are a lot of warning messages though!
>

> > When I run my testfile I get no error messages (assumming: 'needs map
> > file ...' are no errors). But when I start xdvi I get:
>
>I use \setupoutput[pdftex]
>Giving pdf directly rather than using dvi

indeed, texfont generates map files for pdftex and inclusion of map files
only works in pdftex;

(like nigel) i don't use dvi for document production, just switch to pdf,
and use GS or acrobat for previewing;

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl