* Re: A philosophical one:Who's behind ConTeXt?
@ 2002-06-13 12:49 ` Idris S Hamid
       [not found] ` <20020613182920.B19488@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl>
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-06-13 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Yes, for my use ConTeXt looks more modern, more logical, and simpler
> to deal with than its older competitor but LaTeX has and will have a
> huge group of contributors/supporters around the world that sounds
> like a 'life warranty'.By contrast, ConTeXt seems to me too much tied
> and double-tied to HANS HAGEN only or, in any case, to a very small
> group of contributors.

Have you read

http://www.ntg.nl/maps/pdf/20_42.pdf ?

> And what about 'stability' of ConTeXt? I've read that sometimes it is
> unstable.

I think that mainly applies to new and/or experimental features but I'd better
let someone else answer that as I am still very much a new user:-)

Best wishes
Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* A philosophical one:Who's behind ConTeXt?
@ 2002-06-13 13:37 Vittorio
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Vittorio @ 2002-06-13 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I produce many school reports (many pictures, big fonts 14pt up) to
help my daughters, reports and letters for my work.

I'd like to start using ConTeXt instead of LaTeX but there's
something in a corner of my mind saying 'Be Careful! Keep Calm'.

Yes, for my use ConTeXt looks more modern, more logical, and simpler
to deal with than its older competitor but LaTeX has and will have a
huge group of contributors/supporters around the world that sounds
like a 'life warranty'.By contrast, ConTeXt seems to me too much tied
and double-tied to HANS HAGEN only or, in any case, to a very small
group of contributors.

Is that hunch of mine true?

And what about 'stability' of ConTeXt? I've read that sometimes it is
unstable.

Ciao
Vittorio

* Re: A philosophical one:Who's behind ConTeXt?
@ 2002-06-13 14:56 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found] ` <20020613182920.B19488@prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-13 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:37 PM 6/13/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>I produce many school reports (many pictures, big fonts 14pt up) to
>help my daughters, reports and letters for my work.
>
>I'd like to start using ConTeXt instead of LaTeX but there's
>something in a corner of my mind saying 'Be Careful! Keep Calm'.
>
>Yes, for my use ConTeXt looks more modern, more logical, and simpler
>to deal with than its older competitor but LaTeX has and will have a
>huge group of contributors/supporters around the world that sounds
>like a 'life warranty'.By contrast, ConTeXt seems to me too much tied
>and double-tied to HANS HAGEN only or, in any case, to a very small
>group of contributors.
>
>Is that hunch of mine true?
>
>And what about 'stability' of ConTeXt? I've read that sometimes it is
>unstable.

The instability mainly concerns new (or undocumented) features.

With regards to 'warranty', an installed base (i.e. users) is more or less
a guarantee. We currently implement workflows for publishers where context
is the core typesetting engine, so maybe that's a comfortable idea.

With regards to the code: in the end there will be many mall modules making
up the whole and these can be swapped in or out at will (and replaced by
whoever wants to do so).

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

@ 2002-06-13 22:45   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-13 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:29 PM 6/13/2002 +0200, Slawek Zak wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 04:56:35PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > With regards to the code: in the end there will be many mall modules
> making
> > up the whole and these can be swapped in or out at will (and replaced by
> > whoever wants to do so).
>
>That's a pretty remote perspective, I guess? ;) What about making
>ConTeXt's source all-english? It would be so much easier to read and
>grasp it! Learning Dutch could be fun, but ... ;)

that's part of the game, whenever i update something (or implement
something new) i do it in english; convertign keywords (low level) will be
done at a less busy moment (since i then also need to changeother local
files).