* ANN: References for TeX and Friends
@ 2002-06-21  7:35 Michael Wiedmann
From: Michael Wiedmann @ 2002-06-21  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

We are pleased to announce the initial release of our documentation
project "References for TeX and Friends". This is an ongoing project
with the aim to provide help/reference files for LaTeX (and his
friends like ConTeXt, Metapost, Metafont, etc.) using a
state-of-the-art source format, aka DocBook/XML.

The initial version of this reference was adapted from edition 1.6
of the LaTeX2e documentation, converted to DocBook XML using
texi2db (http://www.tldp.org/downloads/), and further edited manually.

Various output formats can already be generated out of this source file
(HTML, TXT, RTF, PDF, MS WinHelp, PDB f. Palm Pilot plucker reader).
More formats to come (especially wanted is 'vim help format').
Anybody is encouraged to write a converter for his
own desired output format and contribute his/her solution.
Because the source file is XML, the easiest way might be to use XSLT.

Anybody interested in contributing to this project should contact
the authors. Your contribution is very welcome!

For more information see:   http://www.miwie.org/tex-refs/

--
Peter Karp         <tex-refs@karpfenteich.net>
Michael Wiedmann   <mw@miwie.in-berlin.de>

* Re: ANN: References for TeX and Friends
@ 2002-06-21 19:06 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-06-21 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 21 June 2002 03:35 am, Michael Wiedmann wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the initial release of our documentation
> project "References for TeX and Friends". This is an ongoing project
> with the aim to provide help/reference files for LaTeX (and his
> friends like ConTeXt, Metapost, Metafont, etc.) using a
> state-of-the-art source format, aka DocBook/XML.

You left out two important variants, plain tex and pdf(e)tex. LaTeX isn't the
grandfather, it is only one of the grandchildren.

Just my 2c

John Culleton

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com

* Re: ANN: References for TeX and Friends
@ 2002-06-23 21:40   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-23 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michael Wiedmann, NTG ConTeXt

At 03:06 PM 6/21/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
>On Friday 21 June 2002 03:35 am, Michael Wiedmann wrote:
> > We are pleased to announce the initial release of our documentation
> > project "References for TeX and Friends". This is an ongoing project
> > with the aim to provide help/reference files for LaTeX (and his
> > friends like ConTeXt, Metapost, Metafont, etc.) using a
> > state-of-the-art source format, aka DocBook/XML.
>

>You left out two important variants, plain tex and pdf(e)tex. LaTeX isn't the
>grandfather, it is only one of the grandchildren.
>
>Just my 2c

Actually it's

... for TeX, Metafont and Metapost as well as its binary friends pdftex and
omega and macroscropic relavites AmsTeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt and ...

or so -)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl