* creating writing paper
@ 2002-07-18  3:42 Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2002-07-18  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi:

I'm teaching English to some young Japanese kids and I need to make some
writing paper for worksheets.
I need the type of paper with a broken (dashed) line between two solid
lines.  I have managed to create this with the following TeX code:

\define\BigWritingLines{% writing lines for young kids
\thinrule
\vskip 7pt
\type{----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------}
\vskip 3pt
\thinrule
}

This works for me, but there must be a more elegant way of making the dashed
line.  I'd like to make it so that I don't have to guess how many dashes I
need to fill the line but not break it.

I've attached a PDF so you can see what I'm after.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Matthew Huggett
Hiratsuka, Japan

[-- Attachment #2: Days1-2WS.pdf --]

* AW: creating writing paper
@ 2002-07-18  4:56 ` Lutz Haseloff
From: Lutz Haseloff @ 2002-07-18  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

You can try:

\def\dashfill{\leaders\hbox{-}\hfill}

\line{\strut\dashfill\strut}

I found it in the TeXbook (p. 223)

Greetings

Lutz

* Re: creating writing paper
@ 2002-07-18  9:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-18  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:42 PM 7/18/2002 +0900, Matthew Huggett wrote:
>Hi:
>
>I'm teaching English to some young Japanese kids and I need to make some
>writing paper for worksheets.
>I need the type of paper with a broken (dashed) line between two solid
>lines.  I have managed to create this with the following TeX code:
>
>\define\BigWritingLines{% writing lines for young kids
>\thinrule
>\vskip 7pt
>\type{----------------------------------------------------------------------
>-----------}
>\vskip 3pt
>\thinrule
>}
>
>This works for me, but there must be a more elegant way of making the dashed
>line.  I'd like to make it so that I don't have to guess how many dashes I
>need to fill the line but not break it.
>
>I've attached a PDF so you can see what I'm after.

\starttext

\showframe

\def\dashfill
   {\hskip-.25em
    \cleaders
      \hbox to .5em
        {\hss
         \vrule
            depth .5pt
            height.5pt
            width .25em}
      \hfill}

\hbox to \hsize{\strut \dashfill}
\hbox to \hsize{\strut \inleftmargin{monday}\dashfill}

\stoptext
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl