* newbie mailinglist
@ 2002-07-19  9:31 Cortjan Koppen
From: Cortjan Koppen @ 2002-07-19  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

being a newbie in the Contextworld I hesistate to ask questions to the
list because I see a lot of very interesting questions and answers
coming and going which are, in the majority of cases, beyond my
understanding (and current need by the way).

Of course, if it is generally accepted to help a newbie with boring
questions and answers, I happily will put my questions forward. In fact
I do this in a separate email following this email.

But on the other hand it might be an idea to start a special
Context-Starter mailinglist where newbie's can ask questions without
hindering full-producing professionals in their quest to seek Real
Answers To Real Problems.If those professionals (and others) now and
then have time to spend, they can look to the newbie list to help the
poor newbie's in their quest to small-answers-to-small-problems.

It's just an idea...

--
Vriendelijke groet,

Cortjan Koppen

@ 2002-07-19 12:15 ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-07-19 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> being a newbie in the Contextworld I hesistate to ask questions to the
> list because I see a lot of very interesting questions and answers
> coming and going which are, in the majority of cases, beyond my
> understanding (and current need by the way).

Please don't feel that way.  In my experience everyone from beginner to expert
is welcome here. General TeX questions are more appropriate on comp.text.tex
and the like but anything but if it has to do ConTeXt in any way I think u'll
find everyone cordial and helpful. Especially since ConTeXt is still in very
active development it's actually very useful for the "experts" to get
feedback from green users.

Best wishes
Idris
--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: newbie mailinglist
@ 2002-07-19 20:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-19 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:31 AM 7/19/2002 +0200, Cortjan Koppen wrote:
>Hello,
>
>being a newbie in the Contextworld I hesistate to ask questions to the
>list because I see a lot of very interesting questions and answers
>coming and going which are, in the majority of cases, beyond my
>understanding (and current need by the way).
>
>Of course, if it is generally accepted to help a newbie with boring
>questions and answers, I happily will put my questions forward. In fact
>I do this in a separate email following this email.
>
>But on the other hand it might be an idea to start a special
>Context-Starter mailinglist where newbie's can ask questions without
>hindering full-producing professionals in their quest to seek Real
>Answers To Real Problems.If those professionals (and others) now and
>then have time to spend, they can look to the newbie list to help the
>poor newbie's in their quest to small-answers-to-small-problems.
>
>It's just an idea...

This is a general problem of mailing lists, experts versus beginners; but:
beginners become experts and start answering beginners questions; also,
questions are not that boring, certainly not if you have tested things
yourself first; also, occasionally a beginners question triggers me to tell
a few tricks / new things not known to experts -)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl