* Extra run is needed for PDF output
@ 2002-07-19 14:58 Emil Hedevang Lohse
From: Emil Hedevang Lohse @ 2002-07-19 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

In order to reflect changes in \start/\stopuseMPgraphic I somehow need
to run texexec twice when generating PDF output.

Specifically, I have a file named fun.tex containing

\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
Hello, World!
\startuseMPgraphic{a}
  fill fullcircle scaled 2cm withcolor green;
\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic{a}
\stoptext

To make a PDF file I run 'texexec --pdf fun' and I do indeed get the
correct result. However, if I replace "green" with "red" I need to run
'texexec --pdf fun' twice to make the ball change color in the PDF
file. The file mpgraph.mp is updated after the first run and does
contain "red" instead of "green", and when I view mpgraph.1 there
surely is a red ball, but somehow a second run is needed for the
graphic to be included in the PDF file.

When I generate PS files with 'texexec fun && dvips fun' only one run
is needed. I expect this is because dvips includes the updated
mpgraph.1 file into the fun.ps file.

Is there some way I can get texexec to include the graphic without
running it twice? (I can, of course, just run 'texexec --pdf fun &&
texexec --pdf fun' but that seems to be overkill.)

I admit that I have not read the whole documentation, I am just a
ConTeXt-beginner. If the information is of any help, I am running the
full installation of TeXLive 7 under Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 on the x86
platform.

--
Emil Hedevang Lohse <http://home.imf.au.dk/emil/>

Alle spørgsmål er lige dumme.
Og spørgsmålet "Kan ænder flyve?" er ikke dumt.

* Re: Extra run is needed for PDF output
@ 2002-07-19 20:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-19 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:58 PM 7/19/2002 +0200, Emil Hedevang Lohse wrote:

>Hello,
>
>In order to reflect changes in \start/\stopuseMPgraphic I somehow need
>to run texexec twice when generating PDF output.
>
>Specifically, I have a file named fun.tex containing
>
>\setupcolors[state=start]
>\starttext
>Hello, World!
>\startuseMPgraphic{a}
>   fill fullcircle scaled 2cm withcolor green;
>\stopuseMPgraphic
>\useMPgraphic{a}
>\stoptext
>
>To make a PDF file I run 'texexec --pdf fun' and I do indeed get the
>correct result. However, if I replace "green" with "red" I need to run
>'texexec --pdf fun' twice to make the ball change color in the PDF
>file. The file mpgraph.mp is updated after the first run and does
>contain "red" instead of "green", and when I view mpgraph.1 there
>surely is a red ball, but somehow a second run is needed for the
>graphic to be included in the PDF file.
>
>When I generate PS files with 'texexec fun && dvips fun' only one run
>is needed. I expect this is because dvips includes the updated
>mpgraph.1 file into the fun.ps file.
>
>Is there some way I can get texexec to include the graphic without
>running it twice? (I can, of course, just run 'texexec --pdf fun &&
>texexec --pdf fun' but that seems to be overkill.)

see cont-sys.rme for enabling runtime generation of graphics (also
configure texmf.cnf - write18)

or run texexec with:

texexec  --automp ....

Hans