* Margin text
@ 2002-07-22 15:25 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-07-22 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello! Using ConTeXt ver: 2002.7.12.

I am doing my first project which requires margin texts. This is for a
printed book. I see in the manual two ways of using margin texts:
Chapters 4.8 and 12.6.

I define the layout:

\setuplayout[backspace=0.9375in, width=3.25in,
    rightmargindistance=.25in, rightmargin=1.25in]

My understanding: "width" is for the body text,
"[right|left]margindistance" is the space between the body text and the
margin, and "[right|left]margin" is the width of the margin area into
which I want to place the margin texts. This all seems to work with both
methods.

(1) Chapter 4.8. Using:

\setupinmargin[
    style={\tfxx\setupindenting[none]\setupinterlinespace[line=2.7ex]},
    align=right]

\inmargin{...} works as expected, but \margintext{...} always aligns
the note with the start of the next paragraph, even when there is room
on the current page.

(2) Chapter 12.6. Using

\setupmarginblocks[
    style={\tfxx\setupindenting[none]\setupinterlinespace[line=2.7ex]},
    align=right]

(a) With \startmarginblock...\stopmarginblock, the note is vertically
aligned with the top of the body text. A second note will be spaced
just below the first, which would be fine if the first one were
aligned correctly.

(b) None of my \setupinterlinespace values seem to have effect. Line
spacing appears to be that of the body text.

(3) Presuming I could get the Chapter 12.6 method working, is either
method prefered over the other?

-Bill

--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: Margin text
@ 2002-07-22 16:32 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-07-22 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 22 July 2002 11:25 am, Bill McClain wrote:
> Hello! Using ConTeXt ver: 2002.7.12.
>
> I am doing my first project which requires margin texts. This is for a
> printed book. I see in the manual two ways of using margin texts:
> Chapters 4.8 and 12.6.

> -Bill
I have a couple of applications where marginal notes woudl be useful. Thus
far I have used the 12.6 method. I don't like it much because I have to
manually break the lines.

A new possiblity has surfaced. Hans H. answered my query about uneven
columns using \definecolumnset,  \setupcolumnset, \startcolumnset,
\nextcolumn and \stopcolumnset. I plan to use these commands with
perhaps \vfil statements to center the note vertically.  Unfortunately I will
have to handle the column contents by hand. But that is OK for at least one of
my applications, which is a book review with the identifying info for each
review printed at the side of the review.

 See Hans' email
``Re: Unbalanced Column widths'' dated 19th July which states:
------------------------------------
\definecolumnset[two][n=2]

\setupcolumnset[two][1][width=4cm]
\setupcolumnset[two][2][width=8cm]

\startcolumnset[two]

some text

\stopcolumnset

now, run this document, and see where the second column starts, put a
\nextcolumn (or bla-\nextcolumn) there and voila

this is how far tex can go

---------------------------------

I haven't found any other documentation on these commands.
John Culleton

* Re: Margin text
@ 2002-07-22 17:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-22 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:25 AM 7/22/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello! Using ConTeXt ver: 2002.7.12.
>
>I am doing my first project which requires margin texts. This is for a
>printed book. I see in the manual two ways of using margin texts:
>Chapters 4.8 and 12.6.
>
>I define the layout:
>
>\setuplayout[backspace=0.9375in, width=3.25in,
>     rightmargindistance=.25in, rightmargin=1.25in]
>
>My understanding: "width" is for the body text,
>"[right|left]margindistance" is the space between the body text and the
>margin, and "[right|left]margin" is the width of the margin area into
>which I want to place the margin texts. This all seems to work with both
>methods.
>
>(1) Chapter 4.8. Using:
>
>\setupinmargin[
>     style={\tfxx\setupindenting[none]\setupinterlinespace[line=2.7ex]},
>     align=right]
>
>\inmargin{...} works as expected, but \margintext{...} always aligns
>the note with the start of the next paragraph, even when there is room
>on the current page.

right, this is intended behavoir, the margintext command anchors the text
at the next paragraph and can stack texts (you can set fonts etc for each
stack level; this permits things like

xxxx   yyyyy   sometext

aaa    bbb     more text

>(2) Chapter 12.6. Using
>
>\setupmarginblocks[
>     style={\tfxx\setupindenting[none]\setupinterlinespace[line=2.7ex]},
>     align=right]
>
>(a) With \startmarginblock...\stopmarginblock, the note is vertically
>aligned with the top of the body text. A second note will be spaced
>just below the first, which would be fine if the first one were
>aligned correctly.

this mechanism is rather unfinished (yet)

>(b) None of my \setupinterlinespace values seem to have effect. Line
>spacing appears to be that of the body text.

i can provide a key for that

>(3) Presuming I could get the Chapter 12.6 method working, is either
>method prefered over the other?

depend on your needs (auto inner/outer, stacking etc)

[btw, there is also an experimental  method for forcing baseline alignment,
e.g. with formulas and so)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: margin text
@ 2010-03-26 17:55 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2010-03-26 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

and  Alain Delmotte <esperanto@swing.be> wrote:

> When I tested some of the page layout possibilities I did read in * that
> the margin and the text are *not* at the same level, so the margins can
> be *under* the text.
> This also means that changing the margin will not affect the text width,
> and so on.
>
> Alain

Thank you Luigi and Alain,
This helped. This matter is clear to me now.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone

* Re: margin text
@ 2010-03-26  9:23   ` Alain Delmotte
From: Alain Delmotte @ 2010-03-26  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Robert Blackstone a écrit :
> Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:26:19 +0100 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> <blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What should I do to get the page in the middle of the paper so to
>>> speak, instead of shifted to the left, which happens with
>>> \setuplayout[location=middle]?? I tried specifying leftedgewidth but
>>> that does not change anything.
>>>
>> hm, strange, try
>>
>> \setuppapersize[A4][A3]
>> \setuplayout[location=middle,
>>             backspace=23mm,
>>             margin=15mm,margindistance=3mm,
>>             width=fit,
>>             ]
>> \setupinmargin[left][align=left,foregroundcolor=red]
>> \setupinmargin[right][align=right,foregroundcolor=blue]
>> \showlayout
>> \starttext

>> --
>> luigi
>>

> Thank you, Luigi.
> This code gives a nice result with the page sitting neatly centered on
> the paper.
>
> However, when I increase the margin width to 25mm all gets shifted to
> the left. Both margins get 25 width, the right margin stays within the
> boundaries of the A4 paper, the left one is pushed outside. One would
> have expected that with width=fit, the increase of marginwidth would
> go at the expense of textwidth and that location=middle will still
> dictate the overall position.
> But no, it does not work that way apparently. Setting  margin=20mm is
> about the limit. Even setting textwidth to a small size, for example
> 10 cm, does not work to keep the page inside the paper. The extra
> white space all shows up at the right side as an enormously wide
> rightedge while the left margin is still partly outside the paper. In
> other words: location=middle does not work.
> Strange indeed.
>
> Is there anything that could be done about this?
> And would it be possible to different margin width for the right and
> left margin?

When I tested some of the page layout possibilities I did read in * that
the margin and the text are *not* at the same level, so the margins can
be *under* the text.
This also means that changing the margin will not affect the text width,
and so on.

Alain

see ConTeXt wiki Layout: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layout
and perhaps also ConTeXt the manual cont-enp.pdf
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> Best regards,
> Robert Blackstone

* Re: margin text
@ 2010-03-26  9:04   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-03-26  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Robert Blackstone
<blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:26:19 +0100 luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What should I do to get the page in the middle of the paper so to
>>> speak, instead of shifted to the left, which happens with
>>> \setuplayout[location=middle]?? I tried specifying leftedgewidth but
>>> that does not change anything.
>> hm, strange, try
>>
>> \setuppapersize[A4][A3]
>> \setuplayout[location=middle,
>>             backspace=23mm,
>>             margin=15mm,margindistance=3mm,
>>             width=fit,
>>             ]
>> \setupinmargin[left][align=left,foregroundcolor=red]
>> \setupinmargin[right][align=right,foregroundcolor=blue]
>> \showlayout
>> \starttext
>> --
>> luigi
>
> Thank you, Luigi.
> This code gives a nice result with the page sitting neatly centered on
> the paper.
>
> However, when I increase the margin width to 25mm all gets shifted to
> the left. Both margins get 25 width, the right margin stays within the
> boundaries of the A4 paper, the left one is pushed outside. One would
> have expected that with width=fit, the increase of marginwidth would
> go at the expense of textwidth and that location=middle will still
> dictate the overall position.
> But no, it does not work that way apparently. Setting  margin=20mm is
> about the limit. Even setting textwidth to a small size, for example
> 10 cm, does not work to keep the page inside the paper. The extra
> white space all shows up at the right side as an enormously wide
> rightedge while the left margin is still partly outside the paper. In
> other words: location=middle does not work.
> Strange indeed.
for expected behavior must be
backspace >= margin + margindistance
Try
backspace=23mm,margin=21mm,margindistance=2mm,
backspace=23mm,margin=23mm,margindistance=0mm,
backspace=23mm,margin=18mm,margindistance=0mm,
backspace=23mm,margin=2mm,margindistance=21mm,

> Is there anything that could be done about this?
> And would it be possible to different margin width for the right and
> left margin?
yes there are right and left dimensions, but you should definitely
experiments with them

--
luigi

* Re: margin text
@ 2010-03-26  8:56 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2010-03-26  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2010-03-25 12:26 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-03-25 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Robert Blackstone
<blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:
> What should I do to get the page in the middle of the paper so to
> speak, instead of shifted to the left, which happens with
> \setuplayout[location=middle]?? I tried specifying leftedgewidth but
> that does not change anything.
hm, strange, try

\setuppapersize[A4][A3]
\setuplayout[location=middle,
             backspace=23mm,
             margin=15mm,margindistance=3mm,
             width=fit,
             ]
\setupinmargin[left][align=left,foregroundcolor=red]
\setupinmargin[right][align=right,foregroundcolor=blue]
\showlayout
\starttext
ABC\inright{\framed[width=10mm,height=5mm,foregroundcolor=red]{R1 }}
%% override blue, but not for frame
\inleft{\tfx A small note in this margin. But we need to setup
something before \ldots }
\stoptext

--
luigi

* Re: margin text
@ 2010-03-25 12:00 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2010-03-25 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:00 PM,
<luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

(>> Is this normal?)
> ....yes .
> I have  these line
> \setuppapersize[A4][A3]
> \setuplayout[location=middle]
> right to show that default layout --- and it's the default layout from
> 10years at least ---
> perhaps is  not adeguate to your needs; you need to setup* something.
>
> align (and ragged align) have always confused me, and  I suspect that
> here aligns are corrects.
>

> --
> luigi

and  <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
(>> Is this normal?)

> Yes, it is even a FAQ item. See here for why:
>
>   http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Right_and_left
>
> In short: use flushleft or flushright. This gives the opposite behavior
> of left and right, and avoids ambiguity.
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

Thank you, Luigi and Taco, for your almost instantaneous replies.

The answer to the left-right question, the recommended use of
flushright and flushleft,  is clear now.
But the eccentricity of what apparently is the default layout is still
a problem for me.
What should I do to get the page in the middle of the paper so to
speak, instead of shifted to the left, which happens with
\setuplayout[location=middle]?? I tried specifying leftedgewidth but
that does not change anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Best regards,

Robert Blackstone

* Re: margin text
@ 2010-03-25 10:51 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-03-25 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-03-25 10:40 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-03-25 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Robert Blackstone
<blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a reaction to a post in another thread, setupinmargin failing,
> but it does not seem to directly concern the problem raised there (by
> Hans van der Meer). So I raise it as a new problem.
>
> I tried the code supplied by Luigi Scarso in ntg-context Digest, Vol
> 69, Issue 127, Message 1:
>
> \showframe
> \setuppapersize[A4][A3]
> \setuplayout[location=middle]
> \setupinmargin[left][align=left,foregroundcolor=red]
> \setupinmargin[right][align=right,foregroundcolor=blue]
> \starttext
> ABC\inright{\framed[width=10mm,height=5mm,foregroundcolor=red]{R1 }}
> %% override blue, but not for frame
> \inleft{\tfx A small note in this margin. But we need to setup
> something before \ldots }
> \stoptext
>
> A few things in the result surprise, and worry, me:
> 1,  the actual text page does not coincide with (what I assume is) the
> reserved space on the A3-folio  (that is, it partially falls outside
> the area with the green border).  Thus in particular the left margin
> with its margin text falls partly outside this area (which is also
> clear when one uses \setuppapersize[A4][A4] in the preamble. ) The
> margin itself is, of course, wide enough to contain the margin note.
> Why is this and how can it be avoided?
> In fact this usually happens to me: the margins partly fall outside
> the page. Very annoying.
> 2,  \setupinmargin[left][align=left,.. ] actually right-aligns the
> left margin note and vice versa. To left-align it I had to give
> \setupinmargin[right].
> Seems odd to me.
> Is this normal?
....yes .
I have  these line
\setuppapersize[A4][A3]
\setuplayout[location=middle]
right to show that default layout --- and it's the default layout from
10years at least ---
perhaps is  not adeguate to your needs; you need to setup* something.

align (and ragged align) have always confused me, and  I suspect that
here aligns are corrects.

--
luigi

* margin text
@ 2010-03-25 10:33 Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2010-03-25 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[...]

Since I frequently have to use margin texts I hope somebody can help me out.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone