* ConTeXt font messages
@ 2002-07-29 15:35 Marc
From: Marc @ 2002-07-29 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I run the following:

\starttext
\showbodyfont[cmr]
\stoptext

the resulting log file contains the messages:
pdftex         : needs map file: original-context-symbol.map
pdftex         : needs map file: pl0-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-vogel-symbol.map

No error is reported, but these messages suggest an error.
Is this in fact an error, or is this normal? The files indicated are present on my system.

When I try:
\starttext
\showbodyfont[lbr]
\stoptext
which the manual suggests should work in ConTeXt, I get an error. Should this font work in a default ConTeXt
installation?

Finally, other than "cmr" what other fonts are available to ConTeXt by default?

Thanks,
Marc

* Re: ConTeXt font messages
@ 2002-07-29 17:49 ` Bill McClain
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-07-29 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:35:35 +0100
"Marc" <auxbuss@clara.co.uk> wrote:

> Finally, other than "cmr" what other fonts are available to ConTeXt by
> default?

ConTexT doesn't have any of its own fonts at all. There is no default
installation of fonts in TeX; it depends on your TeX installation. I
started with the fonts provided by SuSE Linux and have added more since.
Given time I'll get the TeXLive CD and try a fresh start so I am not
dependent on an OS vendor.

You said earlier you are using MikTex; I think you need to investigate
that facility first.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: ConTeXt font messages
@ 2002-07-30  8:55 ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2002-07-30  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Am Mon, 2002-07-29 um 17.35 schrieb Marc:
> When I try:
> \starttext
> \showbodyfont[lbr]
> \stoptext
> which the manual suggests should work in ConTeXt, I get an error. Should this font work in a default ConTeXt
> installation?

The Lucida Bright fonts are commercial - you have to buy them.

--
Eckhart

* Fonts: ConTeXt+MikTeX
@ 2002-07-30 10:23   ` mari.voipio
       [not found]   ` <Pine.OSF.4.30.0207301304090.16709-100000@sirppi.helsinki.f i>
From: mari.voipio @ 2002-07-30 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Bill McClain wrote:
> You said earlier you are using MikTex; I think you need to investigate
> that facility first.

Yap, that's at least one of the reasons for font problems. This is a tale
about how we got other fonts (than Computer Modern) to work, the
combination I use is WindowsNT + MikTeX + WinEdt

Problem number 1: ConTeXt really *hates* paths that have a space in them,
like C:\Program Files. If your MikTeX is installed in that directory or
any other one with a space in its name, you will run into problems with
the fonts.
Remedy: Install MikTeX in the texmf directory. Or at least in a directory
of its own at the root, that probably works as well. The text below is an
extract of my brother's (I guess that's no secret...) earlier message from
when we fought with this problem:

"My old MiKTeX installation was installed at
C:\Program Files\MiKTeX. The space in the path confused texfont, it
complained about "c:program" not found. Installing to d:/texmf removed
this complaint. (However, I'd love to keep my programs in the "program
files" folder, so this should be solved, as well.)"

[message URL:
<http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context/msg07981.html>]

Problem number 2: Using the fonts still needs some more tricks. What works
for us, although a bit slowly (though I haven't tried all the hints in the
above mentioned thread yet), is the following code:

\setupencoding[default=ec]
\usetypescript [berry] [ec]
\setupbodyfont[pos,10pt]

This let's me use a standard postscript font which looks remarkably like
the Times New Roman we have in our old manual made by Word - it is a lot
more alike than Computer Modern and will photocopy a lot better, too.

I think that can be elaborated a bit, but I don't quite understand yet
what the above code does so tweaking it is kind of difficult... (I *hate*
touching any code I don't thoroughly understand.) At least I now have some
kind of chance to experiment with the different urw fonts.

mari

* Re: Fonts: ConTeXt+MikTeX
@ 2002-07-30 19:11     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-07-30 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 30. Juli 2002 12:23 schrieb mari.voipio@iki.fi:
> Problem number 1: ConTeXt really *hates* paths that have a space in them,
> like C:\Program Files. If your MikTeX is installed in that directory or

Nearly every program that works on the shell, ehm, the command line,
"hates" spaces. Such paths must beincluded in quotes, and maybe
not every call in the perlscripts is qoted...
(On my Win laptop at work I use TeX Live in c:\daten\texmf...)

> \setupencoding[default=ec]

this tells ConTeXt to use ec (alias 8a?) encoded fonts as default;
you can try texnansi, 8r or some east european encs, if some special
chars (accented) doesn't show up.

> \usetypescript [berry] [ec]

(there should be a \usetypescriptfile[myfonts], if if weren't a standard set.)
this tell ConTeXt to use the Karl-Berry-names of some fonts (as in LaTeX etc.)
and again the ec encoded edition.
Normally ConTeXt uses the Hans-Hagen-naming-scheme for fonts ;-)
Normally you install fonts for ConTeXt with texfont.pl.
See instructions on Bill's page or sources on mine.

> \setupbodyfont[pos,10pt]

this tells ConTeXt to use the "pos" (PostScript standard) font family, that
is, Times/Helvetica/Courier, at 10 pt body font size.
These font families are defined in typescripts in typescript files.
It looks complicated, but it's very comfortable, if you got it one time.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://www.ramm.ch/context/

* Re: Fonts: ConTeXt+MikTeX
@ 2002-07-30 20:48       ` Axel Rose
From: Axel Rose @ 2002-07-30 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Hraban for making things clearer.

though here:

> > \setupencoding[default=ec]
>
>this tells ConTeXt to use ec (alias 8a?) encoded fonts as default;
>you can try texnansi, 8r or some east european encs, if some special
>chars (accented) doesn't show up.

I'd like to get more information about which encoding to use when.
Anybody?

Thanks again,
Axel

* Re: Fonts: ConTeXt+MikTeX
       [not found]   ` <Pine.OSF.4.30.0207301304090.16709-100000@sirppi.helsinki.f i>
@ 2002-07-30 21:22     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-30 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:23 PM 7/30/2002 +0300, mari.voipio@iki.fi wrote:

>Problem number 1: ConTeXt really *hates* paths that have a space in them,
>like C:\Program Files. If your MikTeX is installed in that directory or
>any other one with a space in its name, you will run into problems with
>the fonts.
>Remedy: Install MikTeX in the texmf directory. Or at least in a directory
>of its own at the root, that probably works as well. The text below is an
>extract of my brother's (I guess that's no secret...) earlier message from
>when we fought with this problem:

if you can point out the places where this spacing hurts ... i can try to
solve it

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: ConTeXt font messages
       [not found]   ` <Pine.OSF.4.30.0207301304090.16709-100000@sirppi.helsinki.f i>
@ 2002-07-30 21:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-07-30 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:49 PM 7/29/2002 -0500, Bill McClain wrote:

>ConTexT doesn't have any of its own fonts at all. There is no default

actually, it comes with one font of its own: navigation symbols: i made 'm
in mp, and taco converted them to proper fonts

@ 2002-07-31  8:42         ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-07-31  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 22:48:28 +0200
Axel Rose <rose@sj.com> wrote:

> Thank you Hraban for making things clearer.
>
> though here:
>
> > > \setupencoding[default=ec]
> >
> >this tells ConTeXt to use ec (alias 8a?) encoded fonts as default;

not 8a. 8a is Adobe standard encoding, the encoding of the AFMs.
8r is a (strange) raw encoding, used by fontinst to build on top
of them virtual fonts. ec (aka T1) is 8t encoding.

> >you can try texnansi, 8r or some east european encs, if some special
> >chars (accented) doesn't show up.
>
> I'd like to get more information about which encoding to use when.
> Anybody?

TeX uses TFMs in order to access a font. The encoding of these TFMs
you have to know, since it depends on your font installation. IMO
there are only 2 useful encodings: ec (aka T1 aka 8t) and texnansi.
texnansi (aka LY1) is employed by texfont.pl. Thus i would call it the
ConTeXt default/prefered encoding. But ec and texnansi are not that
different. I see no advantage to prefer one of them.

I personally prefer ec, but that is not an encoding but more a
time issue. When i install fonts i often have to install it for
ConTeXt and LaTeX as well. With fontinst i get very easily
the LaTeX set-up. Then the  only thing to do for ConTeXt is writing
a typescript.

jm2c

Jens