* spot colors
@ 2002-08-14 21:18 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-14 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

The next beta version of context will provide spot colors and color separation.

\definecolor [spot-one] [c=.4,y=.5]
\definecolor [first]    [spot-one]  [p=1]
\definecolor [second]   [spot-one]  [p=.5]

with

\setupcolors[spot=yes] % default

you will get the appropriate spot color defs in the pdf file (with
fallbacks), when set to "no", the cmyk (or rgb or gray) values are used.

with

\setupcolors[split=c|m|y|k|r|g|b|s|k|splot-color-name]

you get the separation (figures can be moved to such a split layer).

This works ok for metapost code too, including shading and transparency.

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: spot colors
@ 2002-08-14 22:18 ` Robbie Pickering
From: Robbie Pickering @ 2002-08-14 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Hi,
>
>The next beta version of context will provide spot colors and color
>separation.

Woooo hooooo!!!!!

* Re: spot colors
@ 2002-08-15  1:43   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-08-15  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 14 August 2002 06:18 pm, Robbie Pickering wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >The next beta version of context will provide spot colors and color
> >separation.
>
> Woooo hooooo!!!!!

Does this mean that I can import a graphic and have Context do separations?
What about the business (I forget the technical name) where CMYK colors
are caused to overlap a little. so as to print better? In other words are we
close to the point where Context can do color prepress or do we have
a way to go yet?

In any case an exciting development.

John Culleton

* Re: spot colors
@ 2002-08-15  7:23     ` Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 2002-08-15  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, John Culleton wrote:

> What about the business (I forget the technical name) where CMYK colors
> are caused to overlap a little. so as to print better? In other words are we
> close to the point where Context can do color prepress or do we have
> a way to go yet?
>
> In any case an exciting development.

Come on,, give the guy a break. Does anybody know any free package that can
do that?

Gilbert.

* Re: spot colors
@ 2002-08-15  8:00       ` Robbie Pickering
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robbie Pickering @ 2002-08-15  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Come on,, give the guy a break. Does anybody know any free package that can
>do that?

I don't either, but it is in any case becoming less relevant, as
modern RIPs are capable of doing their own trapping. Mind you, they
can also do their own seps ...

* Re: spot colors
@ 2002-08-15  8:41       ` Siep
From: Siep @ 2002-08-15  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:23:23 +0200 (CEST)
Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen <gilbert@panter.soci.aau.dk> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, John Culleton wrote:
>
> > What about the business (I forget the technical name) where CMYK
> > colors are caused to overlap a little. so as to print better? In
> > other words are we close to the point where Context can do color
> > prepress or do we have a way to go yet?
> >
> > In any case an exciting development.
>
> Come on,, give the guy a break. Does anybody know any free package
> that can do that?
>
> Gilbert.

Deed het poligraf spul van Nowacki dat niet?

--
Siep Kroonenberg
siep@elvenkind.com

* Re: spot colors
@ 2002-08-15  8:45       ` Siep
From: Siep @ 2002-08-15  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:23:23 +0200 (CEST)
Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen <gilbert@panter.soci.aau.dk> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, John Culleton wrote:
>
> > What about the business (I forget the technical name) where CMYK

The technical term is trapping. Some rips can do separation and
trapping.

--
Siep Kroonenberg
siep@elvenkind.com

* Re: spot colors
@ 2002-08-15  8:59         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-15  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:41 AM 8/15/2002 +0200, Siep wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:23:23 +0200 (CEST)
>Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen <gilbert@panter.soci.aau.dk> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, John Culleton wrote:
> >
> > > What about the business (I forget the technical name) where CMYK
> > > colors are caused to overlap a little. so as to print better? In
> > > other words are we close to the point where Context can do color
> > > prepress or do we have a way to go yet?
> > >
> > > In any case an exciting development.
> >
> > Come on,, give the guy a break. Does anybody know any free package
> > that can do that?
> >
> > Gilbert.
>
>Deed het poligraf spul van Nowacki dat niet?

right, i'm playing with that (needs a few adaptions) and wrapping it in a
script

@ 2002-08-15  9:01         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-15  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:45 AM 8/15/2002 +0200, Siep wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:23:23 +0200 (CEST)
>Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen <gilbert@panter.soci.aau.dk> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, John Culleton wrote:
> >
> > > What about the business (I forget the technical name) where CMYK
>
>The technical term is trapping. Some rips can do separation and
>trapping.

trapping as well as undercover removal are for rips to take care of; color
sep at the context level is only there for those who deal with printing
houses thtat cannto separate

@ 2002-08-15  9:21         ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2002-08-15  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Does anybody know any free package
> > that can do that?

> Deed het poligraf spul van Nowacki dat niet?

I have no idea what this is about so I looked it up and read "Colour
separation. The printing process requires that the publication be separated
into the basic printing colours, i.e., cyan, magenta, yellow and black.
Normally this would be done by image setters. However, many users prepare
the separations themselves. A reason for this could be the desire to judge
the effects before the .nal image setting without incurring the cost. One
could also produce uncomplicated separations using a laser printer and
transparencies. As has been said before, colour separations may be obtained
with the proven macro package cmyk-hax.tex with its excellent choice of
options. The package can be used not only for colour separation but also for
manipulating the colours of individual objects. Colour separations are
achievable with the use of the following commands: [...]
\NoOverPrintBlack-the standard behaviour of Poligraf is to overprint black
paint on previously printed colours-this suppresses such behaviour. The use
of the \Separate command instructs TEX to input the cmyk-hax.tex package."
http://www.ntg.nl/eurotex/poli-en.pdf

Is that "trapping"?

Groet,

Frans

* Re: spot colors
@ 2002-08-15 10:43           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-15 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:21 AM 8/15/2002 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
> > > Does anybody know any free package
> > > that can do that?
>
> > Deed het poligraf spul van Nowacki dat niet?
>
>I have no idea what this is about so I looked it up and read "Colour
>separation. The printing process requires that the publication be separated
>into the basic printing colours, i.e., cyan, magenta, yellow and black.
>Normally this would be done by image setters. However, many users prepare
>the separations themselves. A reason for this could be the desire to judge
>the effects before the .nal image setting without incurring the cost. One
>could also produce uncomplicated separations using a laser printer and
>transparencies. As has been said before, colour separations may be obtained
>with the proven macro package cmyk-hax.tex with its excellent choice of
>options. The package can be used not only for colour separation but also for
>manipulating the colours of individual objects. Colour separations are
>achievable with the use of the following commands: [...]

of no use for pdf but of use for images: (pdf ->) eps -> pdf

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: spot colors
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-08-15 19:16       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-08-15 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Donnerstag, 15. August 2002 09:23 schrieb Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen:
> > What about the business (I forget the technical name) where CMYK colors

trapping
(deutsch: Überfüllung)

> > are caused to overlap a little. so as to print better? In other words are
> > we close to the point where Context can do color prepress or do we have a
> > way to go yet?

You can use In-RIP-Separation (if your printshop knows to handle it).
It's easier if you define all your colors in CMYK.

> Come on,, give the guy a break. Does anybody know any free package that can
> do that?

Trapping is "a bit" complicated. No wonder that there are only a few
(expensive!) tools.
Think about: GIMP is not even able to handle CMYK...

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.angerweit.de
http://www.fiee.net

* Re: spot colors
@ 2002-08-15 21:22         ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-08-15 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 15 August 2002 03:16 pm, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 15. August 2002 09:23 schrieb Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen:
> > > What about the business (I forget the technical name) where CMYK colors
>
> trapping
> (deutsch: Überfüllung)
>
> > > are caused to overlap a little. so as to print better? In other words
> > > are we close to the point where Context can do color prepress or do we
> > > have a way to go yet?
>
> You can use In-RIP-Separation (if your printshop knows to handle it).
> It's easier if you define all your colors in CMYK.
>
> > Come on,, give the guy a break. Does anybody know any free package that
> > can do that?
>
> Trapping is "a bit" complicated. No wonder that there are only a few
> (expensive!) tools.
> Think about: GIMP is not even able to handle CMYK...
>
> Grüßlis vom Hraban!

Yes indeed, which is why the Context CMYK function is so exciting.

John Culleton

* Re: spot colors
@ 2002-08-16  7:30           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-16  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm, ConTeXt-ML

At 05:22 PM 8/15/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:

>Yes indeed, which is why the Context CMYK function is so exciting.

i assume that you are aware of

\setupcolors[rgb=no]

which ensures that all rgb is converted to cmyk