* hyphenation of words with accented characters
@ 2002-08-28 11:42 Marko Schütz
From: Marko Schütz @ 2002-08-28 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

the word Äquivalenzrelation is not hyphenated correctly (i.e. not at
all). I tried

\hyphenation{Äqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}

as well as

\hyphenation{"Aqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}

with both I get

! Improper \hyphenation will be flushed.
\handlecompoundcharacter #1->\def
                                  \xhandlecompoundcharacter {\dohandlecompou...
l.3 \hyphenation{"
                  Aqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}

I dug around in the mailing list archives and tried some variations,
but did not succeed.

Isn't there some easy way to make hyphenation available for words with
accented characters?

All help is greatly appreciated

Marko

* Re: hyphenation of words with accented characters
@ 2002-08-28 16:40 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-08-28 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 28. August 2002 13:42 schrieb Marko Schütz:
> \hyphenation{"Aqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}

In this environment you need \"{A}

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net
http://www.ramm.ch

* Re: hyphenation of words with accented characters
@ 2002-08-28 18:33   ` Marko Schütz
From: Marko Schütz @ 2002-08-28 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning,

From: Henning Hraban Ramm <angerweit@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: hyphenation of words with accented characters
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:40:44 +0200

> Am Mittwoch, 28. August 2002 13:42 schrieb Marko Schütz:
> > \hyphenation{"Aqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}
>
> In this environment you need \"{A}

Hmm, does not work for me:

! Improper \hyphenation will be flushed.
\dobuildtextaccent #1#2->{
                          \let \char \normalaccent #1\let \char \normalchar #2}

\dohandleaccent ... #1\string #2\empty \endcsname
                                                  \else \ifcsname \nocharact...
l.3 \hyphenation{\"{A}
                      qui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}

Any other ideas?

@ 2002-08-29  7:57 ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2002-08-29  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marko Schütz schrieb:

> \hyphenation{Äqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}
>
> as well as
>
> \hyphenation{"Aqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}
>
> with both I get
>
> ! Improper \hyphenation will be flushed.
> \handlecompoundcharacter #1->\def
>                                   \xhandlecompoundcharacter {\dohandlecompou...
> l.3 \hyphenation{"
>                   Aqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}

\hyphenation can only handle single characters and not compound
ones.  So you have to switch to an input encoding that doesn't
touch umlauts or other non-ASCII chars.  If it works TeX has to
handle this characters as follows:
   1. let 'Ä' untouched
   2. use the latin1 to TeX (or type1 or ...) output encoding to
      print the char to output.

Unfortunately I tried this myself and didn't had any success.
It seems that all input encodings in context change non-ASCII
chars to compound characters.

Sorry, seems this is more confusing than helpful ;-(
Uwe

--
voiceINTERconnect www.voiceinterconnect.de
... smart speech applications from germany

* Re: hyphenation of words with accented characters
@ 2002-08-29 21:28   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-29 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:57 AM 8/29/2002 +0200, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>Marko Schütz schrieb:
>>\hyphenation{Äqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}
>>as well as
>>\hyphenation{"Aqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}
>>with both I get
>>! Improper \hyphenation will be flushed.
>>\handlecompoundcharacter
>>#1->\def                                   \xhandlecompoundcharacter
>>{\dohandlecompou...
>>l.3 \hyphenation{"
>>                   Aqui-va-lenz-re-la-tion}
>
>\hyphenation can only handle single characters and not compound ones.  So
>you have to switch to an input encoding that doesn't touch umlauts or
>other non-ASCII chars.  If it works TeX has to handle this characters as
>follows:
>   1. let 'Ä' untouched
>   2. use the latin1 to TeX (or type1 or ...) output encoding to
>      print the char to output.
>
>Unfortunately I tried this myself and didn't had any success. It seems
>that all input encodings in context change non-ASCII chars to compound
>characters.

let's be of help then:

given that you have 8 bit characters (i.e. ec or texnansi encoded fonts)

\hyphenation   {f\oacute-r\egrave ign}
\hyphenatedword{f\oacute-r\egrave ign}

btw 1, when loading patterns, context goes through a lot of trouble to make
sure that 8 bit patterns are handled ok; in some languages, multiple
patterns are loaded (like il2 and ec in czech) which means that they even
switch properly with different coding regimes

btw 2, if you think that fonts is a mess, take a look at pattern files: all
kind of methods, naming, etc

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl