* FLOWchart puzzles
@ 2002-08-21 21:47 Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2002-08-21 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

After studying the CHARTS manual I am glad to be able to construct some
simple charts. The example below is working ok.
Still there are some puzzles left:

1. How do you construct different types of connection (dashed, without
arrows, all in one chart (like in Figure 19, p.11 of the manual)? I know
that you can change the line styles for all lines that follow by
\setupFLOWlines, but what if some have to be with arrows, and others without
arrows and/or dashed? BTW, I use the dutch version of ConTeXt.

2.  I would like to try the \help command as described on p.16 of the
manual.
Where do you define the helptext and what command do you have to use in the
dutch version? Could someone add the necessary lines to the example below?

3. What is the function of maxwidth=... in \setupFLOWcharts. Changing its
value in the example below doesn't seem to have any effect. Is it possible
to scale the whole chart to e.g. half its original size?

4. In the manual the meaning of x and y in \setupFLOWcharts is not
explained.
Could someone explain them to me?

Thanks,

Sytse Knypstra

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\gebruikmodule[chart]
\steluitvoerin[pdftex]

\starttekst

\setupFLOWcharts
[
 nx=2,
 ny=1,
 dx=2\bodyfontsize,
 dy=2\bodyfontsize,
 breedte=12\bodyfontsize,
 hoogte=7\bodyfontsize,
 maxwidth=240pt
]

\startFLOWchart[cells]

 \startFLOWcell
  \name {cell1}
  \location{1,1}
  \text{Cell 1}
  \connection[tt]{cell2}  % default line style
  \connection[bb]{cell2} % dashed please
  \connection[rl]{cell2} % no arrow please
 \stopFLOWcell

 \startFLOWcell
  \name {cell2}
  \location{2,1}
  \text{Cell 2}
 \stopFLOWcell

\stopFLOWchart

Hieronder volgt een schema:

\blanko[middel]

\FLOWchart[cells]

\stoptekst

* Re: FLOWchart puzzles
@ 2002-08-22  8:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-22  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:47 PM 8/21/2002 +0200, Sytse Knypstra wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>After studying the CHARTS manual I am glad to be able to construct some
>simple charts. The example below is working ok.
>Still there are some puzzles left:
>
>1. How do you construct different types of connection (dashed, without
>arrows, all in one chart (like in Figure 19, p.11 of the manual)? I know
>that you can change the line styles for all lines that follow by
>\setupFLOWlines, but what if some have to be with arrows, and others without
>arrows and/or dashed? BTW, I use the dutch version of ConTeXt.

you can use grouping, so:

<begin of chart>
<some cells>
\start
<some settings>
<some cells>
\stop
<etc>

>3. What is the function of maxwidth=... in \setupFLOWcharts. Changing its
>value in the example below doesn't seem to have any effect. Is it possible
>to scale the whole chart to e.g. half its original size?

has to do with auto splitting charts

although technically you can downscale charts it's best to use a smaller
body font (if you have you dimensions related to bodyfontsize) since this
will leave thinsg like hyperlinks ok (in pdf hyperlinks are on a different
layer which is not subjected to scaling [which in my opinion is a design flaw])

>4. In the manual the meaning of x and y in \setupFLOWcharts is not
>explained.
>Could someone explain them to me?

you can clip a portion of a chart, say that you have a 10 by 20 chart,
x/y/nx/ny == 2/4/3/3 let you select a 3 by 3 piece of it.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* EC Fonts trouble and TeX Live
@ 2002-08-22 17:12 ` Glenn R Williams
From: Glenn R Williams @ 2002-08-22 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I just installed TeXLive on a Linux systems, and am having problems
creating a pdf file. Can anyone give any pointers on either installing
the ec-fonts (from TeXLive), or changing to default to use other that
"ec-". I must be forgetting a step, since no matter what I change,
ConTeXt still tries to use the ec- fonts.

TIA,

Glenn
------------------------- Run info ----------------------------------
When I run the file:

\usetypescript[berry][pos]
\starttext
test
\showbodyfont[pos]
\stoptext

The system keeps trying to generate the ec fonts for this. Since TeXLive
doesn't turn these on as a default, I get these messages:

.
.
.
pdftex         : needs map file: original-youngryu-tx.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-bh-lucida.map
) (/opt/TeX/texmf/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(/opt/TeX/texmf/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex))kpathsea: Running
mktextfm  ec-utmr8a
/opt/TeX/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Could not map typeface abbreviation c-
for ec-utmr8a.
/opt/TeX/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: Need to update
/opt/TeX/texmf/fontname/special.map?
mktextfm: Running mf \mode:=ljfzzz; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-utmr8a
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.7x)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf  ec-utmr8a
! I can't find file `ec-utmr8a'.
<*> ...jfzzz; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-utmr8a

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...jfzzz; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-utmr8a

Transcript written on mfput.log.
mktextfm: `mf \mode:=ljfzzz; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-utmr8a'
failed.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font \*12ptrmtf*=ec-utmr8a at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
not foun
d.
\lastfontname ->ec-utmr8a at \scaledfont

\donoparsefontspec ... #1\endcsname \lastfontname
                                                  \relax \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#2}\newfontidentifier

\doresetrelativefontsize \...

\fontstrategy ...ame #1\csname #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                  \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                  \fi \iftryingfont
\fontstr...

\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                                                  \relax \fi
\ifskipfontchar...
l.7 \showbodyfont[pos]

?

--
Glenn R. Williams
"Mathematical theories are the part of science you could continue to do

* Re: EC Fonts trouble and TeX Live
@ 2002-08-23 16:32   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-23 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:12 PM 8/22/2002 -0400, Glenn R Williams wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I just installed TeXLive on a Linux systems, and am having problems
>creating a pdf file. Can anyone give any pointers on either installing
>the ec-fonts (from TeXLive), or changing to default to use other that
>"ec-". I must be forgetting a step, since no matter what I change,
>ConTeXt still tries to use the ec- fonts.

add a line

\usetypescript[berry][ec]

to you local cont-sys.tex (see .rme)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* texfont - install family?
@ 2002-08-24 15:39     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-08-24 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a simple command I can issue with texfont to install an entire
font family?  Am hoping for something like the fontinst latinfamily
command.

I have a new collection of 30 fonts, which includes a variety of
weights, and SC and OsF.  There are no expert fonts per se, so I
believe the texnansi encoding should work best.  I'm unclear on how
texfont knows what font font is what though.  Do I need to rename the
files, and if so, how?

I tried the following, but it didn't work:

bdarcus% texfont --install --vendor=linotype --collection=lsyntax
--so="/Users/bdarcus/fontinst/LTSyntax Folder.1" --makepath
--fontroot=/Users/bdarcus/Library/texmf LS*

  TeXFont 1.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2001 (STILL BETA)

        encoding vector : texnansi
            vendor name : linotype
            source path : /Users/bdarcus/fontinst/LTSyntax Folder.1
        font collection : lsyntax
        texmf font root : /users/bdarcus/library/texmf
        pdftex map file : texnansi-linotype-lsyntax.map
            source path : /Users/bdarcus/fontinst/LTSyntax Folder.1
       processing files : all in pattern LSBIO___.AFM
          copying files : afm
                copying : .
                copying : LSBIO___.AFM.afm
          copying files : pfb
                copying : .
                copying : LSBIO___.AFM.pfb
     extending map file :
/Users/bdarcus/Library/texmf/pdftex/config/texnansi-linotype-lsyntax.map
afm2tfm: fatal: afm file `/Users/bdarcus/fontinst/LTSyntax.afm' not
found.

        font identifier : -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : texnansi-raw- (from )
afm2tfm: fatal: afm file `/Users/bdarcus/fontinst/LTSyntax.afm' not
found.
      generating new vf : texnansi- (from texnansi-raw-)
       missing pfb file : .pfb
afm2tfm: fatal: afm file `Folder.1/LSBIO___.AFM.afm' not found.

        font identifier : -> text -> tfm + vf
generating raw tfm/vpl : texnansi-raw-LSBIO (from LSBIO)
afm2tfm: fatal: afm file `Folder.1/LSBIO___.AFM.afm' not found.
      generating new vf : texnansi-LSBIO (from texnansi-raw-LSBIO)

             generating : ls-r databases

mktexlsr: Updating /Users/bdarcus/Library/texmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.

* Re: texfont - install family?
@ 2002-08-26 15:40       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-26 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:39 AM 8/24/2002 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>Is there a simple command I can issue with texfont to install an entire
>font family?  Am hoping for something like the fontinst latinfamily
>command.
>
>I have a new collection of 30 fonts, which includes a variety of
>weights, and SC and OsF.  There are no expert fonts per se, so I
>believe the texnansi encoding should work best.  I'm unclear on how
>texfont knows what font font is what though.  Do I need to rename the
>files, and if so, how?
>
>I tried the following, but it didn't work:
>
>bdarcus% texfont --install --vendor=linotype --collection=lsyntax
>--so="/Users/bdarcus/fontinst/LTSyntax Folder.1" --makepath
>--fontroot=/Users/bdarcus/Library/texmf LS*

What i normally do is something:

   mkdir e:\myfonts\lino\syntax

   chdir that dir

   copy flopies to that dir

and then run texfont

   texfont --vend=linotype --coll=lsyntax --make --install --enc=texnansi

spaces in path names are a bad idea !

here i have a texmffonts=e:/tex/texmf-fonts path

@ 2002-08-26 21:40         ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-08-26 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Ok, thanks.  It seems easier than I thought!  And when installing
multiple-master fonts, am I to understand texfont invokes mminstance to
actually generate the mm instances?  If that's the case, then one would need
to run texfont for each single instance that one wanted installed?

Bruce

On 8/26/02 11:40 AM, "Hans Hagen" <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> What i normally do is something:
>
>  mkdir e:\myfonts\lino\syntax
>
>  chdir that dir
>
>  copy flopies to that dir
>
> and then run texfont
>
>  texfont --vend=linotype --coll=lsyntax --make --install --enc=texnansi
>
> spaces in path names are a bad idea !
>
> here i have a texmffonts=e:/tex/texmf-fonts path
>
> Hans
>                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                      Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
> tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                       information: http://www.pragma-ade.com/roadmap.pdf
>                    documentation: http://www.pragma-ade.com/showcase.pdf

* Re: FLOWchart puzzles
@ 2002-08-27  7:40   ` s. knypstra
From: s. knypstra @ 2002-08-27  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Hans for solving a few of my puzzles.
For the moment I have one additional question: how do I provide a parameter
`dash=yes' in Dutch?
I found that for`arrow=no' I should use: `pijl=nee'.
Maybe the translation problem is also the reason why I don't get the help
facility (question 2) working.

Sytse

> 2.  I would like to try the \help command as described on p.16 of the
manual.
> Where do you define the helptext and what command do you have to use in
the
> dutch version? Could someone add the necessary lines to the example below?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\gebruikmodule[chart]
\steluitvoerin[pdftex]

\starttekst

\setupFLOWcharts
[
 nx=2,
 ny=1,
 dx=2\bodyfontsize,
 dy=2\bodyfontsize,
 breedte=12\bodyfontsize,
 hoogte=7\bodyfontsize,
 maxwidth=240pt
]

\startFLOWchart[cells]

 \startFLOWcell
  \name {cell1}
  \location{1,1}
  \text{Cell 1}
  \connection[tt]{cell2}  % default line style
\start
  \setupFLOWlines[- - - =ja]
  \connection[bb]{cell2} % dashed please
\stop
\start
\setupFLOWlines[pijl=ja]

@ 2002-08-29 22:32     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-29 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:40 AM 8/27/2002 +0200, s. knypstra wrote:
>Thank you Hans for solving a few of my puzzles.
>For the moment I have one additional question: how do I provide a parameter
>`dash=yes' in Dutch?
>I found that for`arrow=no' I should use: `pijl=nee'.
>Maybe the translation problem is also the reason why I don't get the help
>facility (question 2) working.

streep=ja

[if you are not afraid of internals: in mult-con.tex, search for dash]

i'll check the help later; should work but needs sync; what version do you run?

@ 2002-08-29 22:34           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-29 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:40 PM 8/26/2002 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

>Ok, thanks.  It seems easier than I thought!  And when installing
>multiple-master fonts, am I to understand texfont invokes mminstance to
>actually generate the mm instances?  If that's the case, then one would need
>to run texfont for each single instance that one wanted installed?

right, since ther ecna be many alternatives (see type-buy.dat for calls;
you can make a small batch file with some otional args taking axis

@ 2002-08-30 16:03             ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-08-30 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 06:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 05:40 PM 8/26/2002 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>
>> Ok, thanks.  It seems easier than I thought!  And when installing
>> multiple-master fonts, am I to understand texfont invokes mminstance
>> actually generate the mm instances?  If that's the case, then one
>> would need
>> to run texfont for each single instance that one wanted installed?
>
> right, since ther ecna be many alternatives (see type-buy.dat for
> calls; you can make a small batch file with some otional args taking
> axis

Sorry for another newbie question (this one on scripting), but...

Here is what is in the type-buy.dat file for Myriad (which is the font
I am interested in):

# adobe myriad

--en=? --so=adobe/myriad --weight=400 --width=600 MyriadMM
--en=? --so=adobe/myriad --weight=700 --width=600 MyriadMM
--en=? --so=adobe/myriad --weight=400 --width=600 MyriadMM-It
--en=? --so=adobe/myriad --weight=700 --width=600 MyriadMM-It

--en=? --ve=adobe --co=myriad --so=adobe/myriad --ma --in MyriadMM-we*
--en=? --ve=adobe --co=myriad --so=adobe/myriad --ma --in
MyriadMM-It-we*

--en=? --ve=adobe --co=myriad --so=adobe/myriad --sl=* MyriadMM-we*
--en=? --ve=adobe --co=myriad --so=adobe/myriad --ca=* MyriadMM-we*

Can someone please help me with the batch file (I've never written
one), such that I get these basic fonts (normal and bold, plus the
italic), along with, say, condensed versions of the same (let's say a
width value of 400)?

Thanks,
Bruce

* Re: texfont - install family?
@ 2002-08-30 16:45               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-30 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:03 PM 8/30/2002 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

>On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 06:34 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>At 05:40 PM 8/26/2002 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>>
>>>Ok, thanks.  It seems easier than I thought!  And when installing
>>>multiple-master fonts, am I to understand texfont invokes mminstance to
>>>actually generate the mm instances?  If that's the case, then one would need
>>>to run texfont for each single instance that one wanted installed?
>>
>>right, since ther ecna be many alternatives (see type-buy.dat for calls;
>>you can make a small batch file with some otional args taking axis
>
>Sorry for another newbie question (this one on scripting), but...
>
>Here is what is in the type-buy.dat file for Myriad (which is the font I
>am interested in):
>
># adobe myriad
>
>--en=? --so=adobe/myriad --weight=400 --width=600 MyriadMM
>--en=? --so=adobe/myriad --weight=700 --width=600 MyriadMM
>--en=? --so=adobe/myriad --weight=400 --width=600 MyriadMM-It
>--en=? --so=adobe/myriad --weight=700 --width=600 MyriadMM-It
>
>--en=? --ve=adobe --co=myriad --so=adobe/myriad --ma --in MyriadMM-we*
>--en=? --ve=adobe --co=myriad --so=adobe/myriad --ma --in MyriadMM-It-we*
>
>--en=? --ve=adobe --co=myriad --so=adobe/myriad --sl=* MyriadMM-we*
>--en=? --ve=adobe --co=myriad --so=adobe/myriad --ca=* MyriadMM-we*
>
>Can someone please help me with the batch file (I've never written one),
>such that I get these basic fonts (normal and bold, plus the italic),
>along with, say, condensed versions of the same (let's say a width value
>of 400)?

texfont can collect infro from dat files, but in your case you can:

(1) copy the files to a path, say d:\fonts\adobe\myriad

(2) go to that path

(3) say

texfont --en=texnansi --co=myriad --ve=adobe --weight=400 --width=600 MyriadMM

and alike, so replace the "--en..." and "--so=..." lines by "en/ve/co" ones

@ 2002-08-30 17:30                 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-08-30 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Friday, August 30, 2002, at 12:45 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> texfont can collect infro from dat files, but in your case you can:
>
> (1) copy the files to a path, say d:\fonts\adobe\myriad
>
> (2) go to that path
>
> (3) say
>
> texfont --en=texnansi --co=myriad --ve=adobe --weight=400 --width=600
> MyriadMM

Right, but how do I deal with installing not just different weights,
but different widths?  In the end, in other words, I want:

Myriad Regular			--weight=400  --width=600
Myriad italic				--wei	ght=400  --width=600
Myriad Bold				--weight=600  --width=600
Myriad Bold-Italic			--weight=600  --width=600

and...

Myriad Regular Condensed	--weight=400  --width=400
Myriad italic Condensed		--weight=400  --width=400
Myriad Bold Condensed		--weight=600  --width=400
Myriad Bold-Italic Condensed	--weight=600  --width=400

I actually want to install a few more variations, so the batch script
you mentioned would be ideal, but as I said, I don't know how to write
it.

Bruce

* Re: texfont - install family?
@ 2002-08-30 17:53                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-30 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:30 PM 8/30/2002 -0400, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

>On Friday, August 30, 2002, at 12:45 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>texfont can collect infro from dat files, but in your case you can:
>>
>>(1) copy the files to a path, say d:\fonts\adobe\myriad
>>
>>(2) go to that path
>>
>>(3) say
>>
>>texfont --en=texnansi --co=myriad --ve=adobe --weight=400 --width=600
>>MyriadMM
>
>Right, but how do I deal with installing not just different weights, but
>different widths?  In the end, in other words, I want:
>
>Myriad Regular                  --weight=400  --width=600
>Myriad italic                           --wei   ght=400  --width=600
>Myriad Bold                             --weight=600  --width=600
>Myriad Bold-Italic                      --weight=600  --width=600
>
>and...
>
>Myriad Regular Condensed        --weight=400  --width=400
>Myriad italic Condensed         --weight=400  --width=400
>Myriad Bold Condensed           --weight=600  --width=400
>Myriad Bold-Italic Condensed    --weight=600  --width=400
>
>I actually want to install a few more variations, so the batch script you
>mentioned would be ideal, but as I said, I don't know how to write it.

just put lines into blabla.bat and run that file; add lines like:

....  --weight=%1 --width=%2

and run the script with

   blabla 400 600

(at least that works on win, dunno how to pass args in unix)