* Missing fonts in .pdf file
@ 2002-08-21 12:34 Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 2002-08-21 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not much of a context question, but I'll give it a try:

The guy from tghe prepress bureau came by, returning my .pdf file, because
the fonts were missing. Well, that is not entirely true, because they look
good on the screen, but using Acrobat 5 (on a Mac) the print-out on the film
machine displays Courier on some pages. The metrics are correct, but the
face isn't!

And now the circumstances:
- pdfeTeX (Web2c 7.3.3.1) 3.14159-0.14h-pretest-20010210-2.1
- context version: latest (not beta)

The .pdf file is constructed from seperate .pdf documents. These documents
came from several universities and were created using a lot of different
tools. I am using context merely as a page-impositioner here.

So guys what is the problem? Is pdftex? Is het Acrobat on the Mac? Or do I
need to pre-process all the seperate .pdf files using gs or something like
that?

Please help out

Sincerely Gilbert.

* Re: Missing fonts in .pdf file
@ 2002-08-21 18:49 ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2002-08-21 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen <gilbert@panter.soci.aau.dk>

> The .pdf file is constructed from seperate .pdf documents. These documents
> came from several universities and were created using a lot of different
> tools. I am using context merely as a page-impositioner here.

What do you mean by a page-impositioner? I have tried to use texexec to
re-order pages in a document where I do not have all of the fonts. The
result is similar to what you have experienced. It seems to me that one
needed all of the original fonts to be present.

If you reorder and combine pages using Acrobat then Acrobat ensures the
fonts are put together in the final document (possibly with duplicates).
--
Nigel

* Re: Missing fonts in .pdf file
@ 2002-08-23 16:34   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-23 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:49 PM 8/21/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> > From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen <gilbert@panter.soci.aau.dk>
>
> > The .pdf file is constructed from seperate .pdf documents. These documents
> > came from several universities and were created using a lot of different
> > tools. I am using context merely as a page-impositioner here.
>
>What do you mean by a page-impositioner? I have tried to use texexec to
>re-order pages in a document where I do not have all of the fonts. The
>result is similar to what you have experienced. It seems to me that one
>needed all of the original fonts to be present.
>
>If you reorder and combine pages using Acrobat then Acrobat ensures the
>fonts are put together in the final document (possibly with duplicates).

well, pdftex can combine pdf files rather well, just make sure that all
files have the resources embedded; for the fonts that pdftex knows (from
the map file) it will try to mak eeffective subsets

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Missing fonts in .pdf file
@ 2002-08-28 15:56     ` Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 2002-08-28 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, it took some time, but the prepress guy called,, and guess what: They
found a bug in their setup of acrobat, so I now have a copy proof of the
work, and it looks great!

In the end only one page was wrong (only pictures, no fonts). This was made
using latex -> dvips -> Distiller. Since it was a standard distribution
dvips made all the fonts and included them as type3. That was too much for
the prepress guys. So I got the original latex document, and I converted the
thing to context. After that things were easy (as you all know).

So many thanks for all reactions and help.

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 07:49 PM 8/21/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> > > From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen <gilbert@panter.soci.aau.dk>
> >
> > > The .pdf file is constructed from seperate .pdf documents. These documents
> > > came from several universities and were created using a lot of different
> > > tools. I am using context merely as a page-impositioner here.

I meant a page-re-shuffler and organizer.

> >What do you mean by a page-impositioner? I have tried to use texexec to
> >re-order pages in a document where I do not have all of the fonts. The
> >result is similar to what you have experienced. It seems to me that one
> >needed all of the original fonts to be present.
> >
> >If you reorder and combine pages using Acrobat then Acrobat ensures the
> >fonts are put together in the final document (possibly with duplicates).
>
> well, pdftex can combine pdf files rather well, just make sure that all
> files have the resources embedded; for the fonts that pdftex knows (from
> the map file) it will try to mak eeffective subsets
>
> Hans

>                                    Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                        Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>   tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                         information: http://www.pragma-ade.com/roadmap.pdf
>                      documentation: http://www.pragma-ade.com/showcase.pdf

* Re: Missing fonts in .pdf file
@ 2002-08-28 16:45       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2002-08-28 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Mittwoch, 28. August 2002 17:56 schrieb Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen:
> Well, it took some time, but the prepress guy called,, and guess what: They
> found a bug in their setup of acrobat, so I now have a copy proof of the
> work, and it looks great!
>
> In the end only one page was wrong (only pictures, no fonts). This was made
> using latex -> dvips -> Distiller. Since it was a standard distribution
> dvips made all the fonts and included them as type3. That was too much for
> the prepress guys. So I got the original latex document, and I converted
> the thing to context. After that things were easy (as you all know).

I (that is, the printshop) had some problems with my first book in ConTeXt;
finally the error was with some PDF exported from Freehand 7; even distilled
EPS caused RIP errors. At last I rendered the EPS in Photoshop and used pixel
PDF from there...
;-)

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net
http://www.ramm.ch

* Re: Missing fonts in .pdf file
@ 2002-08-30  7:29         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-30  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: contextlist

At 06:45 PM 8/28/2002 +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>Am Mittwoch, 28. August 2002 17:56 schrieb Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen:
> > Well, it took some time, but the prepress guy called,, and guess what: They
> > found a bug in their setup of acrobat, so I now have a copy proof of the
> > work, and it looks great!
> >
> > In the end only one page was wrong (only pictures, no fonts). This was made
> > using latex -> dvips -> Distiller. Since it was a standard distribution
> > dvips made all the fonts and included them as type3. That was too much for
> > the prepress guys. So I got the original latex document, and I converted
> > the thing to context. After that things were easy (as you all know).
>
>I (that is, the printshop) had some problems with my first book in ConTeXt;
>finally the error was with some PDF exported from Freehand 7; even distilled
>EPS caused RIP errors. At last I rendered the EPS in Photoshop and used pixel
>PDF from there...
>;-)

One way of testing graphic is to say

texexec --pdf --fig=c fig*.pdf

if the resulting file prints ok, and can be viewed in acrobat and
ghostscript, things are probably ok

another options is to use one of those pdf/x validators

       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.30.0208211531370.23565-100000@panter.soci.aau.d k>
@ 2002-08-21 14:31     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-08-21 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: contextlist

At 03:37 PM 8/21/2002 +0200, Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

> > let's first try the latest pdftex; do you have a tex live cd? [there must
> > be one on the UT, otherwise, follow the link at tug and download the cd
> image]
>
>If there's one I don't have it, but I will do that. The thing is that the
>pre-press bureau is some miles away and communication is through snail-mail.
>
>I am not having these problems, and I am pretty sure pdftex doe the right
>thing here.
>

> > if needed i can mail you the latest windows version
>
>If you have bandwidth to spare please do so. I have fptex installed.
>directly from the site.

www.pragma-ade.com/context/texmf-mswin.zip

in say half an hour from now (4+meg on 64 k)

@ 2002-08-21 13:37   ` Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.30.0208211531370.23565-100000@panter.soci.aau.d k>
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 2002-08-21 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Hans Hagen wrote:

> let's first try the latest pdftex; do you have a tex live cd? [there must
> be one on the UT, otherwise, follow the link at tug and download the cd image]

If there's one I don't have it, but I will do that. The thing is that the
pre-press bureau is some miles away and communication is through snail-mail.

I am not having these problems, and I am pretty sure pdftex doe the right
thing here.

> if needed i can mail you the latest windows version

If you have bandwidth to spare please do so. I have fptex installed.
directly from the site.

Gilbert.

* Re: Missing fonts in .pdf file
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.30.0208211426420.23035-100000@panter.soci.aau.d k>