* some m-bib problems
@ 2002-09-01 11:15 Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2002-09-01 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been having some success with m-bib but have noticed some problems.

1. Using
\setuppublications
    [numbering=short,%
    refcommand=short]
The publication list shows the final entry as the reference for all entries.
Thus

ghi03   the publication data for abc01
ghi03   the publication data for def02
ghi03   the publication data for ghi03

2. A previously mentioned bug still appears to be there where (when using
refcommand=num and numbering=yes) a cite[ref1,ref2,ref3] becomes [1-2]
rather than [1-3].

Earlier Peter Jander tracked that down to a bug in a macro called
\docompareitems in Syst-ext. The last line should read

\advance\scratchcounter \plusone}
instead of
\advance\scratchcounter \minusone}

otherwise an already sorted list will be reduced to the first two elements.
I think I am using the updated version

3. Formatting the publication list does not appear to take commands such as
strut=yes. Bibmod.pdf suggests that \setuplist commands should work but not
many seem to. The specific problem I am trying to address is the spacing
between items in the publication list which is variable and much too small
it is like framed with no strut and no \blank.

\setuppublicationlist[after={\blank[medium]}] has helped but it is not
perfect.

4. The publication list has references which are not enclosed in square
brackets. How do I generate a more usual publication list (in the IEEE)
which is enclosed in square brackets?

[1]  first publication
[2]  second publication
Etc.

TIA
--
Nigel

* Re: some m-bib problems
@ 2002-09-03  4:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-09-03  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nigel King, ntg-context

At 09:29 AM 9/3/2002 +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>These are all bugs that keep appearing and re-appearing. The main problem is
>that the bibliographic module delves deep into the context core, without being
>an actual part of context itself. It is near-impossible to keep these bugs
>away (and keep them away) with different context versions.

when 2.0 is around, i will look into the tricky dependencies

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: some m-bib problems
@ 2002-09-03  7:29 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-09-03  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 12:15:15 +0100, Nigel wrote:

> 1. Using
> ghi03   the publication data for abc01
> ghi03   the publication data for def02

> 2. A previously mentioned bug still appears to be there where (when using
> refcommand=num and numbering=yes) a cite[ref1,ref2,ref3] becomes [1-2]
> rather than [1-3].

> 3. Formatting the publication list does not appear to take commands such as
> strut=yes. Bibmod.pdf suggests that \setuplist commands should work but not
> many seem to. The specific problem I am trying to address is the spacing
> between items in the publication list which is variable and much too small
> it is like framed with no strut and no \blank.

These are all bugs that keep appearing and re-appearing. The main problem is
that the bibliographic module delves deep into the context core, without being
an actual part of context itself. It is near-impossible to keep these bugs
away (and keep them away) with different context versions.

Currently we are working on version 2.0 of the bib module. Hopefully this
will solve all of the current issues. One thing I'll probably do is move away
from the standard context list mechanism altogether (hopefully fixing 4.).

Besides that, here is what will be new:
- XML bibliographic database
- More types of publications possible (audio CD, movies)
- XML style specifications
- More citation options (ibid., in-line data, footnotes, endnotes)
- Better memory management (this implies 'slower' unfortunately)
- Separate filters for (bibtex|docbook xml|RIS) <-> our.xml

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: some m-bib problems
@ 2002-09-02 14:37 ` Nigel King
From: Nigel King @ 2002-09-02 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Peter Jander" <pj@orc.soton.ac.uk>
>> 2. A previously mentioned bug still appears to be there where (when using
>> refcommand=num and numbering=yes) a cite[ref1,ref2,ref3] becomes [1-2]
>> rather than [1-3].
>
>> otherwise an already sorted list will be reduced to the first two elements.
>> I think I am using the updated version
> Are you sure you are using up-to-date Context? It works fine here
> with a recent beta Context.
The various version numbers are;

 TeXExec 3.0 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.3.1)
entering extended mode
(./testbib.tex{/sw/share/texmf.local/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2002.7.12  fmt: 2002.7.24  int: english  mes: english

m-bib.tex is however fairly old and I have not been able to find a newer one
25/6/2001. (20001 in the source!)

Is that new enough?

>> 4. The publication list has references which are not enclosed in square
>> brackets. How do I generate a more usual publication list (in the IEEE)
>> which is enclosed in square brackets?
>>
>> [1]  first publication
>> [2]  second publication
>> Etc.
> \def\refwithbrackets#1{[#1]\hss}
> \setuppublications[numbering=yes,numbercommand=\refwithbrackets]

Thanks very much for this it works well. Although some method of increasing
the spacing between the reference and the list would be useful. Temporarily
I replace \hss by \quad.  Can't remember what \hss does, the TeX book is at
home.
--
Nigel

* Re: some m-bib problems
@ 2002-09-02  9:00 Peter Jander
From: Peter Jander @ 2002-09-02  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 2. A previously mentioned bug still appears to be there where (when using
> refcommand=num and numbering=yes) a cite[ref1,ref2,ref3] becomes [1-2]
> rather than [1-3].

> otherwise an already sorted list will be reduced to the first two elements.
> I think I am using the updated version
Are you sure you are using up-to-date Context? It works fine here
with a recent beta Context.

> 4. The publication list has references which are not enclosed in square
> brackets. How do I generate a more usual publication list (in the IEEE)
> which is enclosed in square brackets?
>
> [1]  first publication
> [2]  second publication
> Etc.
\def\refwithbrackets#1{[#1]\hss}
\setuppublications[numbering=yes,numbercommand=\refwithbrackets]

is what I am using.

Hope this helps,
Peter