* = or := in MP
@ 2002-09-13  1:48 Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2002-09-13  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello:

What exactly is the difference between using   u = 2cm   and   u := 2cm ?
If I have multiple figures in a file, and I re-define u with u=someValue in
subsequent figures, MP often complains about the value being re-defined.  If
I use := there's no trouble.  When is it correct to use = and when := ?

By the way, is it o.k. to post MP questions here or should I be looking
somewhere else?

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Matthew

* RE: = or := in MP
@ 2002-09-13  6:39 ` Martin Kola?ik
From: Martin Kola?ik @ 2002-09-13  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

as far as I know MP uses := for setting value ("assign" statement), whereas
= for defining symbolic relationship between left and right side of =. Said
in other way, using = defines linear equation.

MP has internal mechanism to solve linear equations (and systems of linear
equations). So, if you write

a1+ b1 = 14
a1- b1 = -5

you immediately can use values of a1 and b1 without numerically defining
them.

And u = 2cm? This is a linear equation, where is nothing to solve.

Have a nice day,

Martin

--------
Martin Kolarik
Moravske Pristroje, a.s., Masarykova 1148, Zlin 76302
tel. +420(603)498498, fax +420(603)490803
web: http://www.mii.cz
--------
e-mail: kolarik@mii.cz
e-mail: kolarik@click.cz
tel. +420(603)535593

* Re: = or := in MP
@ 2002-09-14 18:55 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-09-14 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:48 AM 9/13/2002 +0900, Matthew Huggett wrote:

>By the way, is it o.k. to post MP questions here or should I be looking
>somewhere else?

sure,

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl