* Doublesided + margin
@ 2002-09-30 13:58 AlterEgo Qasars
From: AlterEgo Qasars @ 2002-09-30 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening!

I want to typeset something in doublesided layout. Moreover I have to
typeset some stuff in margins---in the right one at odd pages and in the
left one in the even pages. I have set ConTeXt in a following way:

\setuplayout
	[backspace=2cm, width=10cm,
	leftmargin=0pt, leftmargindistance=0pt,
	rightmargin=3cm, rightmargindistance=5mm]
\starttext
\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
\stoptext

At odd pages (1,3,5) everything is all right, but on even pages (2,4,6,
...) the margin is placed in the text. What's wrong? How could I typeset
it?

Many thanks,
Michal Kvasnicka

* Re: Doublesided + margin
@ 2002-09-30 22:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-09-30 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: konference o ConTeXtu

At 03:58 PM 9/30/2002 +0200, AlterEgo Qasars wrote:
>Good evening!
>
>I want to typeset something in doublesided layout. Moreover I have to
>typeset some stuff in margins---in the right one at odd pages and in the
>left one in the even pages. I have set ConTeXt in a following way:
>
>\setuplayout
>         [backspace=2cm, width=10cm,
>         leftmargin=0pt, leftmargindistance=0pt,
>         rightmargin=3cm, rightmargindistance=5mm]
>\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>\starttext
>\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
>\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
>\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
>\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
>\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
>\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
>\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
>\stoptext
>
>At odd pages (1,3,5) everything is all right, but on even pages (2,4,6,
>...) the margin is placed in the text. What's wrong? How could I typeset
>it?

you've set leftmargin to 0pt and margins swap odd/even in doublesided
layouts; so, effectively you're working with zero width margins at right pages

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Doublesided + margin
@ 2002-10-02 18:03   ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2002-10-02 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 01 Oct 2002 00:21:05 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 03:58 PM 9/30/2002 +0200, AlterEgo Qasars wrote:
> >Good evening!
> >
> >I want to typeset something in doublesided layout. Moreover I have to
> >typeset some stuff in margins---in the right one at odd pages and in the
> >left one in the even pages. I have set ConTeXt in a following way:
> >
> >\setuplayout
> >         [backspace=2cm, width=10cm,
> >         leftmargin=0pt, leftmargindistance=0pt,
> >         rightmargin=3cm, rightmargindistance=5mm]
> >\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
> >\starttext
> >\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
> >\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
> >\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
> >\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
> >\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
> >\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
> >\input tufte\inmargin{\bf AAA}
> >\stoptext
> >
> >At odd pages (1,3,5) everything is all right, but on even pages (2,4,6,
> >...) the margin is placed in the text. What's wrong? How could I typeset
> >it?
>

> you've set leftmargin to 0pt and margins swap odd/even in doublesided
> layouts; so, effectively you're working with zero width margins at right pages

Why have the settings of leftmargin an influence on the placement of
\inmargin. The margin notes are always placed in the right margin
(on even pages in the left margin but with left<->right swapped margin
 dimensions).

Using \showframe i can verify that the margins swap between odd and even
pages, but i do not understand why the dimensions of the inner margin
should have an effect on the placement of objects in the outer margin.

Is this again a we-have-started-ConTeXt-mainly-for-singlesided-documents
 issue?

Regards,
  Jens

* Re: Doublesided + margin
@ 2002-10-04  7:28     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-10-04  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 08:03 PM 10/2/2002 +0200, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:

>Why have the settings of leftmargin an influence on the placement of
>\inmargin. The margin notes are always placed in the right margin
>(on even pages in the left margin but with left<->right swapped margin
>  dimensions).
>
>Using \showframe i can verify that the margins swap between odd and even
>pages, but i do not understand why the dimensions of the inner margin
>should have an effect on the placement of objects in the outer margin.
>
>Is this again a we-have-started-ConTeXt-mainly-for-singlesided-documents
>  issue?

no, just a matter of setting thinsg up:

\setupinmargin[location=left|right|both]

\setupinmargin[align=inner|outer|left|right|middle|normal|no]