* Why does \struct affect line breaking?
@ 2002-11-08 15:35 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2002-11-08 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is perhaps more of a TeX question, and I'll take it to
comp.text.tex next. But I encountered a problem when using \index in
ConTeXt.

I had my doc formatted exactly the way I wanted. But after I added
\index entries throughout, I found that the line-breaking of some
paragraphs had changed. The text became "looser", not packing quite as
densely. Small changes, but significant to my layout.

Experimentation showed that substituting "\strut" for "\index{...}" had
the same effect. These should be invisible, and I don't see anything
added, but the line-breaking is changed.

I'm reading Eijkhout's chapter on "Line Breaking" in "TeX by Topic" but
am not sure how to interpret it. Have I introduced "glue preceded by a
nondiscardable item"? Would that be less breakable than the simple space
that was there before?

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                The King in Yellow
http://sattre-press.com/                 by Robert W. Chambers