* Sanskrit (Devanagari) in ConTeXt
@ 2002-11-29  8:18 Gour
From: Gour @ 2002-11-29  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I saw a PDF describing Chinese support in ConTeXt. It  looks beautiful.

Anyone has attempted to write Sanskrit (both western transliteration as well
as Devanagari script) in ConTeXt?

What is required to provide such support?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr

* Re: Sanskrit (Devanagari) in ConTeXt
@ 2002-11-29 13:15 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-29 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:18 AM 11/29/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I saw a PDF describing Chinese support in ConTeXt. It  looks beautiful.
>
>Anyone has attempted to write Sanskrit (both western transliteration as well
>as Devanagari script) in ConTeXt?
>
>What is required to provide such support?

Where can i find some info about sanskrit? (and fonts)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Sanskrit (Devanagari) in ConTeXt
@ 2002-11-29 13:43   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2002-11-29 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen (pragma@wxs.nl) wrote:

Hello Hans!

Thank you very much for your reply.

> Where can i find some info about sanskrit? (and fonts)

I hope the following url will be of some help:

http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/devanagari.html

Pls. tell me if you need more info, and I'll also try to find some other
resources.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2002-11-29 16:56   ` Richard Mahoney
From: Richard Mahoney @ 2002-11-29 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 02:15:51PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 09:18 AM 11/29/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >I saw a PDF describing Chinese support in ConTeXt. It  looks beautiful.
> >
> >Anyone has attempted to write Sanskrit (both western transliteration as
> >well
> >as Devanagari script) in ConTeXt?
> >
> >What is required to provide such support?
>
> Where can i find some info about sanskrit? (and fonts)
>
> Hans

Thank you for your interest! Support for devanagari and co. would be
of great use to a good number of Indologists and Buddhologists.

You can find links to most of the CTAN docs on my homepage:

 http://homepages.comnet.co.nz/~r-mahoney/biblio/biblio.html

Output of the Type 1 version Frans Velthuis' Devanagari fonts for TeX
is at:

 http://homepages.comnet.co.nz/~r-mahoney/bca_text/bca_text.html

Regards,

 Richard Mahoney

--
Richard Mahoney    |  E-mail: rbm49@ext.canterbury.ac.nz
78 Jeffreys Road   |          r.mahoney@comnet.net.nz

* Re: Sanskrit (Devanagari) in ConTeXt
@ 2002-11-29 17:11     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-11-29 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 05:56 AM 11/30/2002 +1300, you wrote:

>Output of the Type 1 version Frans Velthuis' Devanagari fonts for TeX
>is at:
>
>  http://homepages.comnet.co.nz/~r-mahoney/bca_text/bca_text.html

ok, printing,

the main steps are:

(1) make a simple example text to work with
(2) provide the fonts needed
(3) determins language dependent things
(4) make sure al the nice stuff works with it

@ 2002-12-02 16:45     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-02 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sanskrit users,

At tug 2002 there was a talk by Karel Piska about some fonts, that i now
recognize as the ones you're talking about -)

Can you take a look at:

   http://www-hep2.fzu.cz/~piska/indic/fonts/type1/indic/

and see what we can use?

(Karel is doing quite impressive conversions of fonts to type 1 and spends
a lot of time on details)

@ 2002-12-02 20:09       ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2002-12-02 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen (pragma@wxs.nl) wrote:

> Can you take a look at:
>
>   http://www-hep2.fzu.cz/~piska/indic/fonts/type1/indic/
>
> and see what we can use?

Well, I definitely cannot qualify as Sanskrit user, at least not for Devanagari
script (I'm only familiar with Western transliteration), but I took a look on
one of the fonts and loaded in into pfaedit.

As far as I can see it's a TeX font with custom encoding ie. Devanagari letters
are not on their Unicode positions.

I'm not an expert in changing font encodings, so I don't know whether it's
possible, or at least, how much work it takes to transform the font into Unicode
font.

OTOH, I have another Sanskrit font which I downloaded few days ago. It's a full
Unicode font and it has Devanagari letters on their proper places.

So, I assume we need a font with the Unicode encoding (if we are going utf-8
path), but let the other experts (like Richard) tell their opinion.

Sincerely,
Gour