* syllabus module
@ 2002-12-27 16:36 Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-27 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone come up with a good syllabus module for ConTeXt?

Bruce

--
http://fastmail.fm - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
                      unladen european swallow

* Re: syllabus module
@ 2002-12-27 17:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-27 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:36 AM 12/27/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>Has anyone come up with a good syllabus module for ConTeXt?

What should such a module provide?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: syllabus module
@ 2002-12-27 20:10   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-27 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 18:12:06 +0100, "Hans Hagen" <pragma@wxs.nl> said:
> At 08:36 AM 12/27/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >Has anyone come up with a good syllabus module for ConTeXt?
>
> What should such a module provide?

The tricky part is an easy way to associate dates (either single or a
range, like a week) with general course/lecture content, and readings and
assignments, and to lay it out clearly.

My current syllabii are structured like:

Week 5 (January 5-7)  General week topic.

Exam: January 7

Readings:  pp 100-120, textbook

13. subtopic
14. another subtopic

I'm not sure this is the best way to structure the info (it's common to
use tables), but I'm sure you can get the idea. When I change the
syllabus for subsequent terms, it ought to be trivial to just change the
dates...

I'm thinking I'd want to code in XML, and create a PDF file with ConTeXt,
and an HTML version.

Bruce

--
http://fastmail.fm - Accessible with your email software
                      or over the web

* Re: syllabus module
@ 2002-12-29 20:38     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-29 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:10 PM 12/27/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>The tricky part is an easy way to associate dates (either single or a
>range, like a week) with general course/lecture content, and readings and
>assignments, and to lay it out clearly.
>
>My current syllabii are structured like:
>
>Week 5 (January 5-7)  General week topic.
>
>Exam: January 7
>
>Readings:  pp 100-120, textbook

if examn date would be fixed relative to the week, it would be no problem,
since you could use the date macros combined with a forces starting point;
however, in your case you'll probably need something structured:

<date spec>
<content spec>

<date spec>
<content spec>

with the content in separate files.

The challenge here is to cook up a date spec that is flexible enough:
relative dates and so. Implementing it is trivial, so if you and your
collegues (or others on this list) cook up the requirements ... it can be a
module

ps. next year i will move some code that we use for fill-in docs
(question/answers) into a module; think of hiding answers and so

@ 2002-12-30 21:32       ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-12-30 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:38:11 +0100, "Hans Hagen" <pragma@wxs.nl> said:
> The challenge here is to cook up a date spec that is flexible enough:
> relative dates and so. Implementing it is trivial, so if you and your
> collegues (or others on this list) cook up the requirements ... it can be
> module

Great, but can you give me/us a little more info on exactly what you need
here?

Bruce

--
http://fastmail.fm - Access your email from home and the web

* Re: syllabus module
@ 2003-01-02  9:02         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-02  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:32 PM 12/30/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:38:11 +0100, "Hans Hagen" <pragma@wxs.nl> said:
> > The challenge here is to cook up a date spec that is flexible enough:
> > relative dates and so. Implementing it is trivial, so if you and your
> > collegues (or others on this list) cook up the requirements ... it can be
> > module
>
>Great, but can you give me/us a little more info on exactly what you need
>here?

a more detailed wish list
examples (are your syllabi on line?)