* Re: More in lang-ger.tex and a MetaPost problem
@ 2003-01-08 12:51 ` John Culleton
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Culleton @ 2003-01-08 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 13:15, Mikael Persson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added som changes in lang-ger.tex some week ago. As I mentioned I
> forgot one headtext in lang-ger.tex.
>
> \setupheadtext [\s!sv] [\v!inhoud=Inneh\aring l] should have one
> more l, that is: \setupheadtext [\s!sv] [\v!inhoud=Inneh\aring ll]
>
> I also read in lang-ger.tex that there are some \definesortkey's for
> the norwegian language. I don't know why they are commented out
> (obsolete?). I tried to uncomment them and make a register that
> contains these additional letters (\aa,\ae,\o) but they still end up
> before A in the index.
>
> If they are correct for the norwegian language, then the swedish
> counterparts should look like this:
>
> %% SWEDISH % %  These three letters (in this order) are the %  last
> in the swedish alphabet (and hence should %  come after z in the
> latin alphabet).  %  I'm not sure about the syntax for %
> \definesortkey so I left some of it open ...  % %
> \startlanguagespecifics[\s!sv] % %   \definesortkey
> {\aring}{z}{b}{\aring} %   \definesortkey {\Aring}{z}{b}{\Aring} %
> \definesortkey {\aumlaut}{z}{c}{\aumlaut} %   \definesortkey
> {\Aumlaut}{z}{c}{\Aumlaut} %   \definesortkey
> {\oumlaut}{z}{d}{\oumlaut} %   \definesortkey
> {\Oumlaut}{z}{d}{\Oumlaut} % % \stoplanguagespecifics
>
> I also saw this with activecharacters... The swedish counterpart
> should here be:
>
> % \startencoding[texnansi] %   \startlanguagespecifics[\s!sv]% %
> \defineactivecharacter å {\aring{}} %     \defineactivecharacter Å
> {\Aring{}} %     \defineactivecharacter ä {\aumlaut{}} %
> \defineactivecharacter Ä {\Aumlaut{}} %     \defineactivecharacter ö
> {\oumlaut{}} %     \defineactivecharacter Ö {\Oumlaut{}} %
> \stoplanguagespecifics % \stopencoding
>
> At last, some questions:
>
> 1) How should I do to get Å,Ä,Ö last in the index?

For what purpose do you seek a new sort order? If for an index then
Xindy has some superior tools for accomplishing this. But how to use
Xindy in a Context run? I used the sort macro package from the TeXsis
macros. The particular file is called index.tex. There are some name
conflicts between this package and Context so I modified some names in
the macro package, e.g., index becomes indexx. Then one can embed the
commands in your pdfetex or Context file, run Context, run a couple of
programs from the Xindy suite (one to convert from makeindex format
and then Xindy itself) and rerun Context to produce the index in the
proper place.

If Context can be made to do this with equal or greater facility then
there is no problem. But if not, Xindy was designed specifically to
handle indexes with various alphabets; indeed the tutorial deals with
accented words and the Hungarian "Ny" which is sorted as a separate
letter. All the situations you describe above are easily handled.

HTH
--

John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters

* More in lang-ger.tex and a MetaPost problem
@ 2003-01-08 13:15 Mikael Persson
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-01-08 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

%
[...]

2) I can't make the example on page 236 of the MetaFun manual (the one
with a framed text with the Zapf (1) label). I use the following code:

 \startuseMPgraphic{FunnyFrame}
 picture p;
 numeric w, h, o;
 p:=textext.rt(\MPstring{FunnyFrame}) ;
 w:=OverlayWidth;
 h:=OverlayHeight;
 o:=BodyFontSize;
 p:=p shifted (2o,h-ypart center p);
 draw p;
 drawoptions (widhpen pencircle scaled 1pt);
 draw (2o,h)--(0,h)--(0,0)--(w,0)--(w,h)--(xpart urcorner p,h);
 draw boundingbox p;
 setbounds currentpicture to unitsquare xyscaled(w,h);
\stopuseMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[FunnyFrame][\useMPgraphic{FunnyFrame}]
\defineframedtext[FunnyText][frame=off,background=FunnyFrame,width=fit]

\def\StartFrame{\startFunnyText}
\def\StopFrame{\stopFunnyText}

\def\FrameTitle#1%
  {\setMPtext{FunnyFrame}{\hbox spread 1em{\hss\strut#1\hss}}}

\setMPtext{FunnyFrame}{}% Initiate.

Instead of the text in the label box I get the text "unknown". I type

\FrameTitle{Test}

\StartFrame
 This is just a test.
\StopFrame

Regards, Micke P

* Re: More in lang-ger.tex and a MetaPost problem
@ 2003-01-08 18:36   ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-01-08 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:51:42 +0000
John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Xindy in a Context run? I used the sort macro package from the TeXsis
> macros. The particular file is called index.tex. There are some name
> conflicts between this package and Context so I modified some names in
> the macro package, e.g., index becomes indexx. Then one can embed the
> commands in your pdfetex or Context file, run Context, run a couple of
> programs from the Xindy suite (one to convert from makeindex format
> and then Xindy itself) and rerun Context to produce the index in the
> proper place.
>
> If Context can be made to do this with equal or greater facility then
> there is no problem. But if not, Xindy was designed specifically to
> handle indexes with various alphabets; indeed the tutorial deals with
> accented words and the Hungarian "Ny" which is sorted as a separate
> letter. All the situations you describe above are easily handled.

Thanks for your answer John! I want to be able to sort the swedish
letters, å,ä and ö. (the order is ... u,v,x,y,z,å,ä,ö). When I add words
now that begin with those letters they end up before all other letters.
Example. Adding zebra, åsna, älg and ödla gives something like

ödla
älg
åsna

zebra

while I want it to be

zebra

åsna

älg

ödla
============

I have used xindy in LaTeX and liked it alot. Do I read your text
correct between the lines when I read that ConTeXt uses makeindex as
default but there is a way to use xindy instead to sort things? Or does
ConTeXt sort things in another way?

Regards, Micke P

* Re: More in lang-ger.tex and a MetaPost problem
@ 2003-01-11 11:15     ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-01-11 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 18:36, Mikael Persson wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:51:42 +0000
>
> John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> I have used xindy in LaTeX and liked it alot. Do I read your text
> correct between the lines when I read that ConTeXt uses makeindex as
> default but there is a way to use xindy instead to sort things? Or
> does ConTeXt sort things in another way?
>
> Regards, Micke P

Context has its own indexing and sorting routines. So substituting
either makeindex or Xindy requires writing or adapting output routines
and input routines, and probably an output filter as well for Xindy.

I have played with the simple routines found in index.tex as found in
the texsis distribution. My version is called indexx.tex and changes
the command names to avoid conflict with Context macros.
But that does not directly address your problem. So I
will work on the three pieces in a generic sort of way, the output
routine, the filter, and the input routines (the latter are relatively
trivial.) In the process I will be borrowing from xindy.sty,
eplain.tex, texsis and so on.

I plan to use a simple macro which looks like \idx{a string of stuff}
and outputs to a file \idx{a string of stuff}{folio}

The string of stuff will have to include the keys, the formatting
attributes for both keys and locator, and special indicators such as
see and seealso. I like the xindy.sty convention which uses ordinary
punctuation to separate keys, sort keys, locator attributes etc.
(I like it because it simplifies macro writing :)

The filter will have to break down the string into parts, and
translate the parts into xindy raw format.

So don't hold your breath for my work! But it all seems doable. And
there is a frequent demand for language-specific sorting and
categorization within Context. In the meantime one can perhaps use
the makeindex4 conversion program and hand-modify the results.

At some point I will have to adopt a xdy style file or write one. But
each language will require its own xdy file or subfile that specifies
the alphabet and sort order.

--

@ 2003-01-12 20:40   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-12 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:51 PM 1/8/2003 +0000, John Culleton wrote:

>If Context can be made to do this with equal or greater facility then
>there is no problem. But if not, Xindy was designed specifically to
>handle indexes with various alphabets; indeed the tutorial deals with
>accented words and the Hungarian "Ny" which is sorted as a separate
>letter. All the situations you describe above are easily handled.

i have no problem with providing support for xindy some day in the future
(properly hooked into the index mechanism) but only if there are binaries
available for windows/linux/macos-x that work out of the box; a few weeks
ago i tried to run xindy on my win2k and it failed. Next time i meet
Joachim S. i'll ask him about it.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: More in lang-ger.tex and a MetaPost problem
@ 2003-01-12 20:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-12 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 02:15 PM 1/8/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>I added som changes in lang-ger.tex some week ago. As I mentioned I
>forgot one headtext in lang-ger.tex.
>
>\setupheadtext [\s!sv] [\v!inhoud=Inneh\aring l]
>should have one more l, that is:
>\setupheadtext [\s!sv] [\v!inhoud=Inneh\aring ll]

done

@ 2003-01-12 20:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-12 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 02:15 PM 1/8/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>2) I can't make the example on page 236 of the MetaFun manual (the one
>with a framed text with the Zapf (1) label). I use the following code:
>
>  \startuseMPgraphic{FunnyFrame}
>  picture p;
>  numeric w, h, o;
>  p:=textext.rt(\MPstring{FunnyFrame}) ;
>  w:=OverlayWidth;
>  h:=OverlayHeight;
>  o:=BodyFontSize;
>  p:=p shifted (2o,h-ypart center p);
>  draw p;
>  drawoptions (widhpen pencircle scaled 1pt);

   ^^^^^^^^^^^  withpen ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>  draw (2o,h)--(0,h)--(0,0)--(w,0)--(w,h)--(xpart urcorner p,h);
>  draw boundingbox p;
>  setbounds currentpicture to unitsquare xyscaled(w,h);
>\stopuseMPgraphic
>
>\defineoverlay[FunnyFrame][\useMPgraphic{FunnyFrame}]
>\defineframedtext[FunnyText][frame=off,background=FunnyFrame,width=fit]
>
>\def\StartFrame{\startFunnyText}
>\def\StopFrame{\stopFunnyText}
>
>\def\FrameTitle#1%
>   {\setMPtext{FunnyFrame}{\hbox spread 1em{\hss\strut#1\hss}}}
>
>\setMPtext{FunnyFrame}{}% Initiate.
>
>Instead of the text in the label box I get the text "unknown". I type
>
>\FrameTitle{Test}
>
>\StartFrame
>  This is just a test.
>\StopFrame
>
>Regards, Micke P

this works ok here, when corrected for the error, so it looks like your mp
installation is not working ok

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: More in lang-ger.tex and a MetaPost problem
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-12 23:34 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-12 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 02:15 PM 1/8/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>%% SWEDISH
>%
>%  These three letters (in this order) are the
>%  last in the swedish alphabet (and hence should
>%  come after z in the latin alphabet).
>%  I'm not sure about the syntax for
>%  \definesortkey so I left some of it open ...
>%
>% \startlanguagespecifics[\s!sv]
>%
>%   \definesortkey {\aring}{z}{b}{\aring}
>%   \definesortkey {\Aring}{z}{b}{\Aring}
>%   \definesortkey {\aumlaut}{z}{c}{\aumlaut}
>%   \definesortkey {\Aumlaut}{z}{c}{\Aumlaut}
>%   \definesortkey {\oumlaut}{z}{d}{\oumlaut}
>%   \definesortkey {\Oumlaut}{z}{d}{\Oumlaut}
>%
>% \stoplanguagespecifics

the problem with sorting is that there are a lot of things to handle :

\ecircumflex
\^{e}
\^ e
\char246
byte

I just found out (well, it took me a while) that there's a bug in texutil
with regards to creating a separate entry in the index.

\definesortkey {\aring}{z}{b}{\aring}
\definesortkey {\Aring}{z}{b}{\aring}

this will create (patched texutil) an entry \aring, while

\definesortkey {\aring}{z}{b}{}
\definesortkey {\Aring}{z}{b}{}

this only determines the sort order.

Currently the mechanisms in texutil are obscured by some xml cleanup, tcx
remapping (polish needs this), general cleanup, etc. Also, since there is
an encoding issue involved, redundant info is written to the tuo file.

So, in order to sort out this mess, some coordinated effort is needed to
clean it up.

(1) if possible only vectors with named glyphs (this prevents mixed
encoding problems)
(2) example files
(3) a simplified texutil (currently ignores the named glyphs)
(4) other mappings, say \^{a} -> \acircumflex can be automized or shared

(i'll probably make a new mechanism and remove the old one later)

a more manual selection (by default related to a language) for choosing the
sort vector (one per document), wih vectors no longer going in language
specifics (is also faster)

@ 2003-01-13 17:41   ` Mikael Persson
From: Mikael Persson @ 2003-01-13 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:47:18 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> At 02:15 PM 1/8/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >2) I can't make the example on page 236 of the MetaFun manual (the
> >one with a framed text with the Zapf (1) label). I use the following
> >code:
> >
> >  \startuseMPgraphic{FunnyFrame}
> >  picture p;
> >  numeric w, h, o;
> >  p:=textext.rt(\MPstring{FunnyFrame}) ;
> >  w:=OverlayWidth;
> >  h:=OverlayHeight;
> >  o:=BodyFontSize;
> >  p:=p shifted (2o,h-ypart center p);
> >  draw p;
> >  drawoptions (widhpen pencircle scaled 1pt);
>
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^  withpen ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> >  draw (2o,h)--(0,h)--(0,0)--(w,0)--(w,h)--(xpart urcorner p,h);
> >  draw boundingbox p;
> >  setbounds currentpicture to unitsquare xyscaled(w,h);
> >\stopuseMPgraphic
> >
> >\defineoverlay[FunnyFrame][\useMPgraphic{FunnyFrame}]
> >\defineframedtext[FunnyText][frame=off,background=FunnyFrame,width=f
> >it]
> >
> >\def\StartFrame{\startFunnyText}
> >\def\StopFrame{\stopFunnyText}
> >
> >\def\FrameTitle#1%
> >   {\setMPtext{FunnyFrame}{\hbox spread 1em{\hss\strut#1\hss}}}
> >
> >\setMPtext{FunnyFrame}{}% Initiate.
> >
> >Instead of the text in the label box I get the text "unknown". I type
> >
> >\FrameTitle{Test}
> >
> >\StartFrame
> >  This is just a test.
> >\StopFrame
> >
> >Regards, Micke P
>
> this works ok here, when corrected for the error, so it looks like
> your mp installation is not working ok
>
> Hans

Hi again, thanks for your correction Hans! I still get the same error
after reinstalling tetex and ConTeXt. The only "unknown" I can find in
the logs is a line:

(unknown) cmr10 11.95514 fshow

in mpgraph.4000

Maybe someone has a clue what is going on? I have not edited some

I'm on a Red Hat 8.0 system with tetex-1.0.7-63 and the ConTeXt beta
from today. I have done texexec --make metafun. Should I do something
more? (I have done another document with a metapost image as background
image, and it works very well)

I have done all files available at
http://lillpelle.hemmet.chalmers.se/~micke/contextprob/

I include the (corrected) tex file again:

============ start file ==============
\startuseMPgraphic{FunnyFrame}
 picture p;
 numeric w, h, o;
 p:=textext.rt(\MPstring{FunnyFrame}) ;
 w:=OverlayWidth;
 h:=OverlayHeight;
 o:=BodyFontSize;
 p:=p shifted (2o,h-ypart center p);
 draw p;
 drawoptions (withpen pencircle scaled 1pt);
 draw (2o,h)--(0,h)--(0,0)--(w,0)--(w,h)--(xpart urcorner p,h);
 draw boundingbox p;
 setbounds currentpicture to unitsquare xyscaled(w,h);
\stopuseMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[FunnyFrame][\useMPgraphic{FunnyFrame}]
\defineframedtext[FunnyText][frame=off,background=FunnyFrame,width=fit]

\def\StartFrame{\startFunnyText}
\def\StopFrame{\stopFunnyText}

\def\FrameTitle#1%
  {\setMPtext{FunnyFrame}{\hbox spread 1em{\hss\strut#1\hss}}}

\setMPtext{FunnyFrame}{}% Initiate.

\starttext

\FrameTitle{Test}

\StartFrame
 This is just a test.
\StopFrame
\stoptext
============ stop file =============

Below is shown what I see in the prompt when I run texexec.

Best Regards, Micke P

[contextprob]$ texexec --pdf enkel.tex

 TeXExec 3.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : enkel
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417-2.1 (Web2C
7.3.3.1)
entering extended mode
(./enkel.tex{/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2003.1.10  fmt: 2003.1.13  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
system (E-TEX) : [line 1497] \ifcsname
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2:2-en-2 3:2-uk-2 4:2-de-2 5:2-fr-2 7:2-it-2
2-nl-2 l
oaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : enkel.top loaded
(./enkel.top
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-tpd.tex
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 3> <unprotect
4>
system (E-TEX) : [line 1805] \ifcsname
specials       : fdf loaded
<unprotect 3> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
)
pdftex         : needs map file: original-context-symbol.map
pdftex         : needs map file: pl0-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-vogel-symbol.map
(./enkel.tuo) (./enkel.tuo) (./enkel.tuo) (./enkel.tuo) (./enkel.tuo)
(./enkel.tuo) (./enkel.tuo) (./enkel.tuo) (./enkel.tuo) (./enkel.tuo)
(./enkel.tuo) (./enkel.tuo) (./enkel.tuo)
systems        : begin file enkel at line 27

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 33
[]

Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) detected at line 33
[]

Underfull \vbox (badness 10000) detected at line 33
Randomizer initialized to 1285911735. [MP to PDF] (./mpgraph.4000)
[1.1{/usr/sh
are/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map}{/usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pad.ma
p}{/usr/
share/texmf/dvips/config/pgs.map}{/usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/peb.map
}]
systems        : end file enkel at line 34
[flush and process mpgraph.mp afterwards] )
(see the transcript file for additional
information)</usr/share/texmf-local/fon
ts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb></usr/share/texmf-local/fonts/type1/blues
ky/cm/cm
r12.pfb>
Output written on enkel.pdf (1 page, 9081 bytes).
Transcript written on enkel.log.

              run time : 4 seconds
   generating graphics : metaposting mpgraph.mp

 TeXExec 3.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2002

              metapost : mpgraph
                format : metafun
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.1)
(mpgraph.mp [4000] )
1 output file written: mpgraph.4000
Transcript written on mpgraph.log.
  second MP run needed : 1 tex labels found
       metapost to tex : mpgraph
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : tmpgraph
                output : dvips
             interface : en
               options : once nomp
          current mode : none

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417-2.1 (Web2C
7.3.3.1)
entering extended mode
(./tmpgraph.tex{/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg}

ConTeXt  ver: 2003.1.10  fmt: 2003.1.13  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
system (E-TEX) : [line 1497] \ifcsname
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2:2-en-2 3:2-uk-2 4:2-de-2 5:2-fr-2 7:2-it-2
2-nl-2 l
oaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : tmpgraph.top loaded
(./tmpgraph.top
specials       : loading definition file dvi
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-dvi.tex <unprotect 3> <protect
3>)
specials       : tex loaded
specials       : loading definition file ps
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-ps.tex)
specials       : tex,postscript loaded
specials       : loading definition file tr
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-tr.tex)
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
)
pdftex         : needs map file: original-context-symbol.map
pdftex         : needs map file: pl0-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-vogel-symbol.map
[1.1]
systems        : end file tmpgraph at line 4
 )
Output written on tmpgraph.dvi (1 page, 208 bytes).
Transcript written on tmpgraph.log.

              run time : 2 seconds
       dvi to metapost : mpgraph
              metapost : mpgraph
                format : metafun
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.1)
(mpgraph.mp )
Transcript written on mpgraph.log.

        total run time : 4 seconds
  sorting and checking : running texutil

 TeXUtil 7.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2002

                action : processing commands, lists and registers
                option : sorting IJ under Y
                option : converting high ASCII values
            input file : enkel.tui
           output file : enkel.tuo
       passed commands : 9
         remapped keys : 0
      register entries : 0 -> 0 entries 0 references
       synonym entries : 0 -> 0 entries
        embedded files : 1

        total run time : 11 seconds

* Re: More in lang-ger.tex and a MetaPost problem
@ 2003-01-14 17:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-14 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 06:41 PM 1/13/2003 +0100, Mikael Persson wrote:

>Hi again, thanks for your correction Hans! I still get the same error
>after reinstalling tetex and ConTeXt. The only "unknown" I can find in
>the logs is a line:
>
>(unknown) cmr10 11.95514 fshow
>
>in mpgraph.4000
>
>Maybe someone has a clue what is going on? I have not edited some

does

   draw btex oeps etex ;

work ?

[maybe some other tolls is not working; the problem is that mp uses a few
dvi->mp tools and tempfiles/logs get lost in the process]