* (1) Setting top/header texts and (2) stopping page breaks
@ 2003-01-12  6:58 Lazycode
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lazycode @ 2003-01-12  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings!
  I've recently ran into two trivial tasks that I
can't seem to get ConTeXt to do. If someone could
(1) point out my mistakes or (2) point me to the
peoper documentation, it would be very helpful and
much apperciated.

Task 1: Setting up Top/Header texts.
  I want to have a _multiline_ header. I tried using
\setheadertexts and \settoptexts. Both _ignored_ the
use of "\\" to break lines, and complained when I used
\par. It looks like I can only have single line
headers. I want something as follows: (best viewed
with fixed width font)

| Document Title                  Document Author |
| ConTeXted On                   Document Version |
| Section Number                   Chapter Number |
|                                                 |
|                                                 |
|                                                 |
|     Actual Text                                 |
|                                                 |
|                                                 |
|                                                 |
|                                                 |

  I believe I know how to do the rest. Currently, I need
to know how to do multi-line header/top texts.

Task 2: Preventing annoying page breaks.
  I'm using the \setuphead from page 5 of the context
manual. It reads as follows:

\setuphead
[myheader]
[ -some unimportant stuff snipped out-
before=\hairline\blank
after=\nowhitespace\hairline]

Once in a while, a page break occurs between the actual
text and one of these two hairlines. I've tried:

* before=\hariline\page[no]\blank
* before=\hariline\blank\page[no]
and
* after=\page[no]\nowhitespace\hairline

None of the above works.

Any information, including a random command to learn
and try, would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
--tk

* Re: (1) Setting top/header texts and (2) stopping page  breaks
@ 2003-01-12 12:14 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-01-12 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Lazycode wrote:
>   I want to have a _multiline_ header. I tried using
> \setheadertexts and \settoptexts. Both _ignored_ the
> use of "\\" to break lines, and complained when I used
> \par. It looks like I can only have single line
> headers. I want something as follows: (best viewed

I used
\setupheadertexts[\vbox{\hbox{line one}
                  \hbox{line two}}]
                 [{\currentdate[day,{. },month,\ ,year]}]

I think there was a nicer solution, but I don't remember it anymore.

Tobias
--
This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as
the night the day / Thou canst not then be false to any man.

* Re: (1) Setting top/header texts and (2) stopping page breaks
@ 2003-01-12 19:06 ` BOEDE
From: BOEDE @ 2003-01-12 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

may be that you might use a construction with \framed as I use it for my
letter-header of my company:

\def\Logo%
   {\externalfigure[logo.1][height=7\bodyfontsize,method=mps]}

   \setupheadertexts[text]%
      [{\hbox
         {\switchtobodyfont[10pt]%
         \setupframed

[align=right,top=\vfill,bottom=,height=7\bodyfontsize,width=\makeupwidth,fra
me=off]%
         {\Logo \hskip0.5em
         \framed%
            {First line of your header \hvill More information of your heaer
\endgraf
             Second line of your header \hvill More information of your
header \endgraf
             Third line of your header \hvill More informationof your
header }}}}][]

For your second question you might use the builtin capabilities of the
\framed. The rulethickness you can set up in the setup section of
\framed....

I hope this helps

Willi

@ 2003-01-13 10:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-13 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:58 PM 1/11/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings!
>   I've recently ran into two trivial tasks that I
>can't seem to get ConTeXt to do. If someone could
>(1) point out my mistakes or (2) point me to the
>peoper documentation, it would be very helpful and
>much apperciated.
>
>Task 1: Setting up Top/Header texts.
>   I want to have a _multiline_ header. I tried using
>\setheadertexts and \settoptexts. Both _ignored_ the
>use of "\\" to break lines, and complained when I used
>\par. It looks like I can only have single line
>headers. I want something as follows: (best viewed
>with fixed width font)

\starttext

\setuplayout[header=12cm,footer=4cm,height=middle]

\setupheadertexts
   [\vtop{\hsize7cm \raggedright \input tufte\endgraf}]
   [\vtop{\hsize7cm \raggedleft \input zapf \endgraf}]

\setupfootertexts
   [\vbox{\raggedleft  this\endgraf that}]
   [\vbox{\raggedright this\endgraf that \endgraf else}]

\input tufte

\stoptext
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl