* more on typescripts (and optical sizes)
@ 2003-02-03 18:13 Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2003-02-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am slowly making progress on this font installation (well, it works
with LaTeX, not yet with ConTeXt).  However, could I do something like
this with a ConTeXt typescript?

\DeclareFontShape{T1}{minion}{m}{n}{
     <-6>  MinionPro-SemiboldCapt-8t
    <6-9>  MinionPro-Capt-8t
    <9-12> MinionPro-Regular-8t
   <12-15> MinionPro-Subh-8t
   <15->   MinionPro-Disp-8t}{\romanprotruding}

This is from the LaTeX fd file, and what is useful is that it
automatically switches optical size (caption, regular, subhead, and
display) based on the size of the font.

Bruce

* Re: more on typescripts (and optical sizes)
@ 2003-02-03 20:22 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-03 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:13 PM 2/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>I am slowly making progress on this font installation (well, it works with
>LaTeX, not yet with ConTeXt).  However, could I do something like this
>with a ConTeXt typescript?
>
>\DeclareFontShape{T1}{minion}{m}{n}{
>     <-6>  MinionPro-SemiboldCapt-8t
>    <6-9>  MinionPro-Capt-8t
>    <9-12> MinionPro-Regular-8t
>   <12-15> MinionPro-Subh-8t
>   <15->   MinionPro-Disp-8t}{\romanprotruding}
>
>This is from the LaTeX fd file, and what is useful is that it
>automatically switches optical size (caption, regular, subhead, and
>display) based on the size of the font.

Not that complicated to implement, but then let's first clarify specs and
make sure everything we want is covered

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: more on typescripts (and optical sizes)
@ 2003-02-03 21:38   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2003-02-03 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 03:22 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> This is from the LaTeX fd file, and what is useful is that it
>> automatically switches optical size (caption, regular, subhead, and
>> display) based on the size of the font.
>
> Not that complicated to implement, but then let's first clarify specs
> and make sure everything we want is covered

I'm not following you Hans.  It *seems* you're saying this kind of
thing isn't currently supported, but is easy to add.  Right?

If yes, who will "clarify specs..."?  You?  that's fine, of course, I'm
just a little unclear....

@ 2003-02-03 21:55     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-03 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:38 PM 2/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 03:22 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>>This is from the LaTeX fd file, and what is useful is that it
>>>automatically switches optical size (caption, regular, subhead, and
>>>display) based on the size of the font.
>>
>>Not that complicated to implement, but then let's first clarify specs and
>>make sure everything we want is covered
>
>I'm not following you Hans.  It *seems* you're saying this kind of thing
>isn't currently supported, but is easy to add.  Right?

right

>If yes, who will "clarify specs..."?  You?  that's fine, of course, I'm
>just a little unclear....

no, you will clarify the specs -)

@ 2003-02-03 22:26       ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2003-02-03 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 04:55 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> If yes, who will "clarify specs..."?  You?  that's fine, of course,
>> I'm just a little unclear....
>
> no, you will clarify the specs -)

OK, so what do you want to know?  In this context (no pun intended), I
want to be able to specify different fonts based on their size range.
What else do you need to know?

BTW, this kind of thing will be useful as opentype support makes it to
TeX (in my case, I converted to type 1).  Most of the Adobe OpenType
Pro text fonts have optical sizing (as did the equivalent MM fonts),
and it'd be nice to simply define a typescript like minionpro-osf and
have optical-size switching handled without further hassle from the
user.

What I originally had in mind would require me to define 16 separate
typescripts just for this Minion installation: four each along the
regular/SC/OSF/SCOSF axis, and four each along the optical axis.  With
this feature, I'd just need four.  This would also make the document
styles themselves easier to manage.

@ 2003-02-03 23:46         ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2003-02-03 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

Because I'm just starting to come to grips with parts of the font
mechanism, how is this different from the mechanisms within type-siz.tex?
Is it that there is one more degree of freedom that the type-siz doesn't map?

adam

I believe Bruce D'Arcus said this around Mon, 3 Feb 2003:

>On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 04:55 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>> If yes, who will "clarify specs..."?  You?  that's fine, of course,
>>> I'm just a little unclear....
>>
>> no, you will clarify the specs -)
>
>OK, so what do you want to know?  In this context (no pun intended), I
>want to be able to specify different fonts based on their size range.
>What else do you need to know?
>
>BTW, this kind of thing will be useful as opentype support makes it to
>TeX (in my case, I converted to type 1).  Most of the Adobe OpenType
>Pro text fonts have optical sizing (as did the equivalent MM fonts),
>and it'd be nice to simply define a typescript like minionpro-osf and
>have optical-size switching handled without further hassle from the
>user.
>
>What I originally had in mind would require me to define 16 separate
>typescripts just for this Minion installation: four each along the
>regular/SC/OSF/SCOSF axis, and four each along the optical axis.  With
>this feature, I'd just need four.  This would also make the document
>styles themselves easier to manage.
>
>Bruce

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 Adam Lindsay                  +44(0)1524 594 537
 atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/atl/
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

* Re: more on typescripts (and optical sizes)
@ 2003-02-04 12:28           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-04 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, Bruce D'Arcus

At 11:46 PM 2/3/2003 +0000, Adam Lindsay wrote:
>Hans,
>
>Because I'm just starting to come to grips with parts of the font
>mechanism, how is this different from the mechanisms within type-siz.tex?
>Is it that there is one more degree of freedom that the type-siz doesn't map?

sure, take a look into font-ini and search for getglyph (see symb files for
how they are used), or look into the unicode or chinese stuff; there are
all kind of automatisms that scale nicely