* Customizing texutil --purge
@ 2003-02-04 12:22 mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2003-02-04 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know I saw the answer to my question on the list couple of weeks back,
but I seem to have lost it and search in the mailing list archives on the
word "purge" gives very odd answers...

The "Texutil explained" says on page 2
"texutil ­purge
Afterwards, TEXutil reports the number of bytes regained. Optionally, you
can pass a file pattern, thereby limiting the cleansing."

As I'm a dummy, I don't seem to be able to put this in practice. I would
like to get rid of the *.tuo files (and some others as well), so I tried

texutil --purge *.tuo
texutil --purge .tuo
texutil --purge tuo

but none of these have any effect whatsoever. So, how do I "pass a file
pattern" so that texutil understands that I want to get rid of files
called something.tuo?

Greetings,

Mari from snowy Finland

* Re: Customizing texutil --purge
@ 2003-02-04 12:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-04 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 02:22 PM 2/4/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>I know I saw the answer to my question on the list couple of weeks back,
>but I seem to have lost it and search in the mailing list archives on the
>word "purge" gives very odd answers...
>
>The "Texutil explained" says on page 2
>"texutil ­purge
>Afterwards, TEXutil reports the number of bytes regained. Optionally, you
>can pass a file pattern, thereby limiting the cleansing."
>
>As I'm a dummy, I don't seem to be able to put this in practice. I would
>like to get rid of the *.tuo files (and some others as well), so I tried
>
>texutil --purge *.tuo
>texutil --purge .tuo
>texutil --purge tuo
>
>but none of these have any effect whatsoever. So, how do I "pass a file
>pattern" so that texutil understands that I want to get rid of files
>called something.tuo?

texutil --purge somefile

will clean up the temp files that belong to somefile

   texutil --purge

is often the best bet

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Customizing texutil --purge
@ 2003-02-04 13:39 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-02-04 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

mari.voipio@iki.fi writes:

> The "Texutil explained" says on page 2
> "texutil ­purge
> Afterwards, TEXutil reports the number of bytes regained. Optionally, you
> can pass a file pattern, thereby limiting the cleansing."
>
> As I'm a dummy, I don't seem to be able to put this in practice. I would
> like to get rid of the *.tuo files (and some others as well), so I tried

Marie,

there is no way to get rid of the tuo files with texutil. With the
optional argument, you can *limit* the cleansing. That means, reduce
the number of files being erased.

For example, let's say you have a file called "finland.tex" and
"snow.tex" together with all the messy context help files. Now you
want to get rid of all the "snow" stuff but keep all the files for
"finland.tex" If the texutil command would work how it should [1]
then saying

texutil --purge snow

would delete the
snow-mpgraph.mp, snow.tui, snow.log etc.

but leave all "finland" files in the directory.

Patrick

[1] the pattern in texutil for removing files is not useable on
unix. I had good experience with

      { $pattern .= "*.*" }

line 2685. It is now

      { $pattern .= "-.*" }

but this will probably not match any files around. (Perhaps there are
some obscure files that I don't know of.) Hans, could you change this
in texutil?

Patrick

* Re: Re: Customizing texutil --purge
@ 2003-02-04 14:33   ` mari.voipio
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: mari.voipio @ 2003-02-04 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> there is no way to get rid of the tuo files with texutil.

Sigh. One more thing to confuse my users, I'd hoped to be able to get rid
of those as well. Now I will instead have to add one more line to my
instructions saying "just don't care".

And no, I do not expect average Windows dummy to be able to find a command
line and say "texutil --purge". Instead I made a Windows shortcut (with
suitable icon assigned to it)  they can double-click to get the same
effect. The fight towards easy Windows usability fit for "dummies"
continues... (Although sometimes I do wish I'd stuck to Word instead of
taking this plunge.)

Mari the Windows person

* Re: Customizing texutil --purge
@ 2003-02-04 15:07     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-02-04 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

mari.voipio@iki.fi writes:

Hello again,

> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>> there is no way to get rid of the tuo files with texutil.
>
> Sigh. One more thing to confuse my users, I'd hoped to be able to get rid
> of those as well. Now I will instead have to add one more line to my
> instructions saying "just don't care".

Perhaps it would be nice to have something like

texutil --purge --all
that removes all files that are removed with texutil --purge plus
the .tuo, .dvi and .pdf files.

and/or

texutil --purge --most
that removes all files that are removed with texutil --purge plus .tuo
but keep the .dvi, .pdf files.

@ 2003-02-04 15:09     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-04 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:33 PM 2/4/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> > there is no way to get rid of the tuo files with texutil.
>
>Sigh. One more thing to confuse my users, I'd hoped to be able to get rid
>of those as well. Now I will instead have to add one more line to my
>instructions saying "just don't care".
>
>And no, I do not expect average Windows dummy to be able to find a command
>line and say "texutil --purge". Instead I made a Windows shortcut (with
>suitable icon assigned to it)  they can double-click to get the same
>effect. The fight towards easy Windows usability fit for "dummies"
>continues... (Although sometimes I do wish I'd stuck to Word instead of
>taking this plunge.)

removing the tuo file will in most cases lead to additional runs the next
time, so this is why we keep that file; i can add an --purgeall option if
needed

@ 2003-02-04 15:23     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-04 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:33 PM 2/4/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> > there is no way to get rid of the tuo files with texutil.
>
>Sigh. One more thing to confuse my users, I'd hoped to be able to get rid
>of those as well. Now I will instead have to add one more line to my
>instructions saying "just don't care".
>
>And no, I do not expect average Windows dummy to be able to find a command
>line and say "texutil --purge". Instead I made a Windows shortcut (with
>suitable icon assigned to it)  they can double-click to get the same
>effect. The fight towards easy Windows usability fit for "dummies"
>continues... (Although sometimes I do wish I'd stuck to Word instead of
>taking this plunge.)
>

>Mari the Windows person

Then here is a window-wiper

26d25
< #  Thanks to Fabrice   Popineau  for windows bin code
30,32c29,30
< #  --analyze  file.pdf  : reports some statistics
< #  --purge    [jobname] : removes temporary files
< #  --purgeall [jobname] : removes all temporary files
---
 > #  --analyze file.pdf       : reports some statistics
 > #  --purge   [jobname]      : removes temporary files
43c41
< $Program = "TeXUtil 7.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2003" ;
---
 > $Program = "TeXUtil 7.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2002" ;
78d75
< use FindBin ;
125d121
<    "purgeall"       => \$PurgeAllFiles,
609c605
< "           --purge(all)    tijdelijke (klad) files
verwijderen            \n" .
---
 > "              --purge    tijdelijke (klad) files
verwijderen            \n" .
640c636
< "          --purge(all)    entferne temporaere
ConTeXt-Dateien            \n" .
---
 > "              --purge    entferne temporaere
ConTeXt-Dateien            \n" .
671c667
< "         --purge(all)    rimuovi i file temporanei
ConTeXt              \n" .
---
 > "              --purge    rimuovi i file temporanei
ConTeXt              \n" .
702c698
< "         --purge(all)    clean up temporary context
files               \n" .
---
 > "              --purge    clean up temporary context
files               \n" .
1029,1030c1025,1026
<   { ## $pm_path = `kpsewhich --format="other text files"
--progname=context texutil.pl` ;
<     ## chomp($pm_path) ;
---
 >   { # $pm_path = `kpsewhich --format="other text files"
--progname=context texutil.pl` ;
 >     # chomp($pm_path) ;
1032,1033c1028,1029
<     # $pm_path = $0 ;
<     # $pm_path =~ s/\\/\//o ;
---
 >     $pm_path = $0 ;
 >     $pm_path =~ s/\\/\//o ;
1035,1036c1031
<     ## $pm_path =~ s/(.*)texutil.*?$/$1/i ;
<     $pm_path = "$FindBin::Bin/" ;
---
 >     $pm_path =~ s/(.*)texutil.*?$/$1/i ;
2688,2690d2682
< if ($PurgeAllFiles)
<   { push @forsuresuffixes, @texnonesuffixes  ; @texnonesuffixes = [] }
<
2777d2768
< elsif  ($PurgeAllFiles    ) { PurgeFiles       }

@ 2003-02-04 15:48       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-02-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

Hello

[...]

> Then here is a window-wiper

the diff is broken due to line breaks and superfluous spaces...

Patrick