* Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-04  7:45 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2003-02-04  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Anyone,

Has anyone been able to use the standard PDF postscript fonts with
context? I recently upgraded to tetex 2.0, latest context, so had to
restart with the font stuff.

1. After tinkering I could get the URW stuff working, but I want the
   Adobe.

2. After even more tinkering I got something that seems to load the
   Adobe fonts, but when I look with Acrobat Reader it talks about
   Times New Roman and Arial fonts.

Perhaps somebody has the right combination of .map files, pdftex.cfg,
typefaces, typescripts, fontfaces/defines/whatever (get crazy of it),
so I can just use the standard 15 PDF fonts.

--
Live long and prosper,

Berend de Boer

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-04 12:26 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-04 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:45 PM 2/4/2003 +1300, you wrote:
>Hello Anyone,
>
>Has anyone been able to use the standard PDF postscript fonts with
>context? I recently upgraded to tetex 2.0, latest context, so had to
>restart with the font stuff.
>
>1. After tinkering I could get the URW stuff working, but I want the
>    Adobe.

the problem is that those fonts are no longer distributed, as well as that
the glyohs widths differ per location

in principle it's just a matter of mapping the right names onto Serif etc,
once you know what the filenames are (maybe in some psfonts.map file you
can deduce the raw names)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-04 17:41   ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2003-02-04 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> >1. After tinkering I could get the URW stuff working, but I want the
> >    Adobe.
>
> the problem is that those fonts are no longer distributed, as well as
> that the glyohs widths differ per location

So the URW fonts are better?

> in principle it's just a matter of mapping the right names onto Serif
> etc, once you know what the filenames are (maybe in some psfonts.map
> file you can deduce the raw names)

I thought I got them. pdftex is no longer including them, or list them
as included. However, in Adobe Acrobat Reader, when I look at the
included fonts, the names look like Microsoft TTF names.

That it all was a principle of mapping I got :-) Now the correct mapping...

--

@ 2003-02-04 17:59     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-04 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 06:41 AM 2/5/2003 +1300, you wrote:
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:
>
> > >1. After tinkering I could get the URW stuff working, but I want the
> > >    Adobe.
> >
> > the problem is that those fonts are no longer distributed, as well as
> > that the glyohs widths differ per location
>
>So the URW fonts are better?

afaik more stable; also, embedding the 15 base fonts is more safe for cross
platform viewing (where they may be mapped onto whatever is
available/demanded by the os)

I thought I got them. pdftex is no longer including them, or list them
>as included. However, in Adobe Acrobat Reader, when I look at the
>included fonts, the names look like Microsoft TTF names.

indeed, arial instead of helvetica and so

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-04 18:03     ` Matt Gushee
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt Gushee @ 2003-02-04 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:41:49AM +1300, Berend de Boer wrote:

> > in principle it's just a matter of mapping the right names onto Serif
> > etc, once you know what the filenames are (maybe in some psfonts.map
> > file you can deduce the raw names)
>
> I thought I got them. pdftex is no longer including them, or list them
> as included. However, in Adobe Acrobat Reader, when I look at the
> included fonts, the names look like Microsoft TTF names.

You mentioned tetex, and your e-mail client is GNUS, so I imagine you're
probably running Linux. I don't know if this helps at all, but I just
checked out the fonts in my Acrobat installation (Acrobat Reader 5.0 on
Linux). The fonts are actually PostScript files ... which I guess means
that they are Type 42. You should be able to confirm this with

  less /path/to/Acrobat5/Resource/Font/Arial

Does PDFTeX support Type 42 fonts?

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-04 23:20       ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-02-04 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:03:33 -0700
Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:41:49AM +1300, Berend de Boer wrote:
> >
> > > in principle it's just a matter of mapping the right names onto Serif
> > > etc, once you know what the filenames are (maybe in some psfonts.map
> > > file you can deduce the raw names)
> >
> > I thought I got them. pdftex is no longer including them, or list them
> > as included. However, in Adobe Acrobat Reader, when I look at the
> > included fonts, the names look like Microsoft TTF names.
>
> You mentioned tetex, and your e-mail client is GNUS, so I imagine you're
> probably running Linux. I don't know if this helps at all, but I just
> checked out the fonts in my Acrobat installation (Acrobat Reader 5.0 on
> Linux). The fonts are actually PostScript files ... which I guess means
> that they are Type 42. You should be able to confirm this with
>
>   less /path/to/Acrobat5/Resource/Font/Arial

Acrobat ships the font-outlines but not the font-metrics (AFMs).
Thus you can not use them in pdfTeX, or only use them with the
metrics from the URW fonts. It is far better to use/embed the
URWs directly, since those fonts are real copies of the original
Adobe fonts and not Arial-or-something-else variants by Monotype.

Jens

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-05  8:48       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-05  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:03 AM 2/4/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:41:49AM +1300, Berend de Boer wrote:
> >
> > > in principle it's just a matter of mapping the right names onto Serif
> > > etc, once you know what the filenames are (maybe in some psfonts.map
> > > file you can deduce the raw names)
> >
> > I thought I got them. pdftex is no longer including them, or list them
> > as included. However, in Adobe Acrobat Reader, when I look at the
> > included fonts, the names look like Microsoft TTF names.
>
>You mentioned tetex, and your e-mail client is GNUS, so I imagine you're
>probably running Linux. I don't know if this helps at all, but I just
>checked out the fonts in my Acrobat installation (Acrobat Reader 5.0 on
>Linux). The fonts are actually PostScript files ... which I guess means
>that they are Type 42. You should be able to confirm this with
>
>   less /path/to/Acrobat5/Resource/Font/Arial
>
>Does PDFTeX support Type 42 fonts?

These are true types disguised as type 1, isn't it?  Pdftex supports it.

@ 2003-02-05 12:33 ` Nagy Bence
From: Nagy Bence @ 2003-02-05 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Has anyone been able to use the standard PDF postscript fonts with
> context? I recently upgraded to tetex 2.0, latest context, so had to
> restart with the font stuff.
>
> 1. After tinkering I could get the URW stuff working, but I want the
>    Adobe.
I have the same problem, but I couldn't find the right solution and URW
fonts doesn't work too.

Greetings

Bence Nagy

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-05 12:55       ` Siep
From: Siep @ 2003-02-05 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:03:33 -0700
Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:41:49AM +1300, Berend de Boer wrote:
> >
> > > in principle it's just a matter of mapping the right names onto
> > > Serif etc, once you know what the filenames are (maybe in some
> > > psfonts.map file you can deduce the raw names)
> >
> > I thought I got them. pdftex is no longer including them, or list
> > them as included. However, in Adobe Acrobat Reader, when I look
> > at the included fonts, the names look like Microsoft TTF names.
>
> You mentioned tetex, and your e-mail client is GNUS, so I imagine
> you're probably running Linux. I don't know if this helps at all,
> but I just checked out the fonts in my Acrobat installation
> (Acrobat Reader 5.0 on Linux). The fonts are actually PostScript
> files ... which I guess means that they are Type 42.

Run t1disasm on them and you'll see that they look suspiciously like
regular PostScript Type1 fonts, with glyphs described with the usual
PostScript operators.

--
Siep Kroonenberg
siep@elvenkind.com

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-05 17:45   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-02-05 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nagy Bence <gimb@freemail.hu> writes:

Hello,

> I have the same problem, but I couldn't find the right solution and
> URW fonts doesn't work too.

What do you mean by "doesn't work"?

Patrick

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-05 19:07   ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2003-02-05 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nagy Bence <gimb@freemail.hu> writes:

> > Has anyone been able to use the standard PDF postscript fonts with
> > context? I recently upgraded to tetex 2.0, latest context, so had to
> > restart with the font stuff.
> > 1. After tinkering I could get the URW stuff working, but I want the
> >    Adobe.
> I have the same problem, but I couldn't find the right solution and
> URW fonts doesn't work too.

OK, what to do:

1. Run texfont on context/data/type-tmf.dat like this:

  texfont --encoding=texnansi --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf --batch type-tmf.dat

That should produce the right .tmf files.

2. In your cont-sys.tex (/usr/local/texmf/tex/context/cont-sys.tex)
   have only the following:

====================
% This seems to be Hans preferred encoding
\setupencoding[\s!default=texnansi]
====================

No other \usesetypescript, or \setupencoding should be present.

3. If you run this test file:

====================
\setupbodyfont
  [pos,10pt]

\starttext

hello world.

{\ss hello again!}

{\tt the end.}

\stoptext
====================

it should run fine, except pdf(e)tex complaining that it can't find
the fonts.

4. Add the following to pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg

====================
map +texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map
map +texnansi-public-antp.map
map +texnansi-public-antt.map
map +texnansi-urw-bookman.map
map +texnansi-urw-courier.map
map +texnansi-urw-helvetica.map
map +texnansi-urw-palatino.map
map +texnansi-urw-times.map
map +texnansi-urw-zapfchan.map
====================

These files should be in that directory if texfont has run correctly.

You can also use \autoloadmapfilestrue and put \loadmapfile in your
cont-sys it seems, but that gives you lots of warnings, so I don't
like that approach.

Let me know if you encounter any problem!

--

@ 2003-02-05 20:50     ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-02-05 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06 Feb 2003 08:07:27 +1300
Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com> wrote:

> Nagy Bence <gimb@freemail.hu> writes:
>
> > > Has anyone been able to use the standard PDF postscript fonts with
> > > context? I recently upgraded to tetex 2.0, latest context, so had to
> > > restart with the font stuff.
> > > 1. After tinkering I could get the URW stuff working, but I want the
> > >    Adobe.
> > I have the same problem, but I couldn't find the right solution and
> > URW fonts doesn't work too.
>
> OK, what to do:
>
> 1. Run texfont on context/data/type-tmf.dat like this:
>
>   texfont --encoding=texnansi --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf --batch type-tmf.dat
>
> That should produce the right .tmf files.
>
> 2. In your cont-sys.tex (/usr/local/texmf/tex/context/cont-sys.tex)
>    have only the following:
>
> ====================
> % This seems to be Hans preferred encoding
> \setupencoding[\s!default=texnansi]
> ====================
>
> No other \usesetypescript, or \setupencoding should be present.
>
> 3. If you run this test file:
>
> ====================
> \setupbodyfont
>   [pos,10pt]
>
> \starttext
>
> hello world.
>
> {\ss hello again!}
>
> {\tt the end.}
>
> \stoptext
> ====================

Since a complete teTeX installation should include the LaTeX
PSNFSS package you don't need to generate the fonts (TFMs)
yourself.

Simply

====================
 \usetypescript[berry][ec]
 \setupbodyfont
   [pos,10pt]

 \starttext

 hello world.

 {\ss hello again!}

 {\tt the end.}

 \stoptext
====================

should work. This will use T1 (aka ec) encoded fonts not the
standard LY1 (aka texnansi) encoding. Therefore you have to
setup the proper input regime (\enableregime)

Jens

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-05 23:07     ` Nagy Bence
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Nagy Bence @ 2003-02-05 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, it works, but now I have problem with the hungarian hyphenation.
The patternfile uses T1 encoding (I think it's ec) and I have inserted
the next line in cont-usr.tex:

\installlanguage[\s!hu][\s!mapping=ec,\s!encoding=ec,\c!status=\v!start]

To solve my hyphenation problem I tried the same but with ec encoding:

> 1. Run texfont on context/data/type-tmf.dat like this:
>
>   texfont --encoding=texnansi --fontroot=/usr/share/texmf --batch type-tmf.dat
I made a copy from ec.enc (from TeXlive7, it fails in teTeX2.0), then

texfont --encoding=ec...

Without copying the file it doesn't work.

> 2. In your cont-sys.tex (/usr/local/texmf/tex/context/cont-sys.tex)
>    have only the following:
>
> ====================
> % This seems to be Hans preferred encoding
> \setupencoding[\s!default=texnansi]
> ====================
\setupencoding[\s!default=ec]

> 4. Add the following to pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg
>
> ====================
> map +texnansi-bitstrea-charter.map
> map +texnansi-public-antp.map
> map +texnansi-public-antt.map
> map +texnansi-urw-bookman.map
> map +texnansi-urw-courier.map
> map +texnansi-urw-helvetica.map
> map +texnansi-urw-palatino.map
> map +texnansi-urw-times.map
> map +texnansi-urw-zapfchan.map
> ====================
map +ec-bitstrea-charter.map

And the result: error messages, TeX doesn't find the fonts. Any idea?

Greetings

Bence Nagy

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-06  1:43       ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2003-02-06  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nagy Bence <gimb@freemail.hu> writes:

> And the result: error messages, TeX doesn't find the fonts. Any
> idea?

No. Does it not find the .tfm? Can you show the error message?

--

@ 2003-02-06  9:33         ` Nagy Bence
From: Nagy Bence @ 2003-02-06  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

which is the favourite TeX distribution? I want to use TeX both under
linux and windows. Is TeXlive my choice? MikTeX under windows and teTeX
under linux are smaller and more up-to-date and easier to upgrade, but I
have such problems with configuring they.

> No. Does it not find the .tfm? Can you show the error message?

Berend, thanks for your help. The interesting part of my logfile:

system         : cont-sys loaded
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/context/user/cont-sys.tex
typescript     : [berry] [ec] []
.
.
.
typescript     : [map] [ec] []
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-map.tex
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-cmr.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-ams-euler.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-adobe-utopia.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-bit-charter.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-public-antp.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-public-antt.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-bookman.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-courier.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-helvetica.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-palatino.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-times.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-urw-zapfchan.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-youngryu-px.map
pdftex         : needs map file: original-youngryu-tx.map
pdftex         : needs map file: ec-bh-lucida.map
) (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex))
! Font \*11ptrmtf*=utmr8t at 11.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not
found.
<to be read again>
                    \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                   \let
\localrelativefontsiz...

\fontstrategy ...ame #1\csname #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                   \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                   \fi \iftryingfont
\fontstr...

\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                                                   \relax \fi
\ifskipfontchar...
<argument> \getvalue {\@style@ \fontstyle }
                                            \edef \fontstyle {\fontstyle
}\if...
l.28 \setupbodyfont[pos,11pt]

Greetings

Bence Nagy

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-06  9:42       ` Nagy Bence
From: Nagy Bence @ 2003-02-06  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  \usetypescript[berry][ec]
This my setting too.

>  \setupbodyfont
>    [pos,10pt]
>
>  \starttext
>
>  hello world.
>
>  {\ss hello again!}
>
>  {\tt the end.}
>
>  \stoptext
> ====================
>
> should work. This will use T1 (aka ec) encoded fonts not the
> standard LY1 (aka texnansi) encoding. Therefore you have to
> setup the proper input regime (\enableregime)
I use \enableregime[il2] (I can do it after changing the line
\startcoding[il2] to \startcoding[il2][il2] in enco-il2.tex).

Greetings

Bence Nagy

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-06 10:03       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-06 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Thomas Esser, Sebastian Rahtz

At 12:07 AM 2/6/2003 +0100, Nagy Bence wrote:

>ap +ec-bitstrea-charter.map

You mean the bitstream? There are differences between bitstream paths: bit
bitstrea bitstream etc so let's first ask the distribution experts what the
latest status is with regards to the

'official name for the bitstream font path'

@ 2003-02-06 10:06       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-06 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:07 AM 2/6/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Thanks, it works, but now I have problem with the hungarian hyphenation.
>The patternfile uses T1 encoding (I think it's ec) and I have inserted the
>next line in cont-usr.tex:
>
>\installlanguage[\s!hu][\s!mapping=ec,\s!encoding=ec,\c!status=\v!start]

ok, i added those to the lang-ura file (not the start); one can use
"texexec --all --make" to embed all hyphenation patters

@ 2003-02-06 10:11           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-06 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:33 AM 2/6/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>which is the favourite TeX distribution? I want to use TeX both under
>linux and windows. Is TeXlive my choice? MikTeX under windows and teTeX
>under linux are smaller and more up-to-date and easier to upgrade, but I
>have such problems with configuring they.

the tex user groups distribute tex-live, which is preconfigured for many
os' s; updates fpr context can then be installed into a local texmf tree

the basis for texlive is thomas essers tetex and fabrice popineaus fptex so
if you are on lin or win you can use one of these

when setting up your own system you can distinguish between the texmftree
(tds compliant) and binaries

[there's also miktex for windows, and there are quite some miktex users on
this list]

@ 2003-02-06 11:18         ` mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2003-02-06 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 12:07 AM 2/6/2003 +0100, Nagy Bence wrote:
>
> >ap +ec-bitstrea-charter.map
>
> You mean the bitstream? There are differences between bitstream paths: bit
> bitstrea bitstream etc so let's first ask the distribution experts what the
> latest status is with regards to the
>
> 'official name for the bitstream font path'

TeXLive 7 (the official version, seems to be of June 4, 2002) is a bit
buggy at that point:

The .afm files are at /texmf/fonts/afm/bit/charter/ while the .pfb files
are at /texmf/fonts/type1/bitstrea/charter and then the type-tmf.batch
script looks for --ve=bitstrea --co=charter so it, of course, doesn't work
too well.

I've found that the easiest way to fix this is to rename (or copy and
rename the copy) the /texmf/fonts/afm/bit/ directory to be 'bitstrea',
i.e. the result is /texmf/fonts/afm/bitstrea/ and after that the
type-tmf.batch script works perfectly (well, it needs tweaking elsewhere,
but that's a different story).

Mari
(Guess what I've been doing this week...)

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-06 11:30             ` mari.voipio
From: mari.voipio @ 2003-02-06 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Hans Hagen wrote:
> the tex user groups distribute tex-live, which is preconfigured for many
> os' s; updates fpr context can then be installed into a local texmf tree

Once I get the last of my font problems (more of these tomorrow, when I
have a work day) and some other less important things fixed, I'll write
"Windows language" instructions on how to install and run TeXLive+ConTeXt
in Windows (after three years of teaching so called "ordinary people" I
speak good "Windows", which may help).

As TeXLive ships with easy-to-install NTEmacs, I'm also including
instructions on how to profit from Berend's context.el for maximum ease
and maybe other Windows tricks as well. (Is somebody here good at drawing
Windows icons [.ico]? I'd need several for the different Windows shortcuts
for the "I'd rather double-click"  people...)

BTW, I may not have any very permanent home for the above-mentioned
Windows instruction pages as I'll lose my university account when I
finally get my masters - any ideas of where to place the instructions?

Greetings from the country of the frozen sea,

Mari

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-06 18:50               ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-02-06 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again!

> As TeXLive ships with easy-to-install NTEmacs, I'm also including
> instructions on how to profit from Berend's context.el for maximum ease
> and maybe other Windows tricks as well. (Is somebody here good at
> drawing
> Windows icons [.ico]? I'd need several for the different Windows
> shortcuts
> for the "I'd rather double-click"  people...)
>
> BTW, I may not have any very permanent home for the above-mentioned
> Windows instruction pages as I'll lose my university account when I
> finally get my masters - any ideas of where to place the instructions?

First, I could provide some icons -- if you can convert GIF, PNG, BMP
(everything that Photoshop can write) to ICN.
Normally I "steal" some Adobe or Windows icons and change them for my
Perl/Tk scripts on Windows (at work).

Second, I'd be glad to host your work on my ConTeXt pages. They're
unter reconstruction at the moment, but I must get them usable again
the next weeks.
see http://www.fiee.net/texnique/ (the same as
www.ramm.ch/fiee/texnique/)
You may get your own directory if you don't like my strange taste of
menus, but no direct access.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
www.fiee.net/texnique/
www.ramm.ch/context/

* Re: Getting the PDF postscript fonts to work
@ 2003-02-07  6:52           ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2003-02-07  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nagy Bence <gimb@freemail.hu> writes:

> which is the favourite TeX distribution?

What's favorite? I'm using tetex, as that works quite well on Unix and
has the latest stuff.

> > No. Does it not find the .tfm? Can you show the error message?
>
> Berend, thanks for your help. The interesting part of my logfile:
>

> ! Font \*11ptrmtf*=utmr8t at 11.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
> not found.

Do you have utmr8t on your system or not? If so, have you run texmklsr
to update your paths?

If not, you *have* to use texfont.pl to generate it using
cont-tmf.dat.

Have you set the berry encoding? It seems you need it in your case.

Have you tried the texnansi encoding?

--

@ 2003-02-07  8:27               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-07  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:30 PM 2/6/2003 +0200, mari.voipio@iki.fi wrote:
>On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > the tex user groups distribute tex-live, which is preconfigured for many
> > os' s; updates fpr context can then be installed into a local texmf tree
>
>Once I get the last of my font problems (more of these tomorrow, when I
>have a work day) and some other less important things fixed, I'll write
>"Windows language" instructions on how to install and run TeXLive+ConTeXt
>in Windows (after three years of teaching so called "ordinary people" I
>speak good "Windows", which may help).
>
>As TeXLive ships with easy-to-install NTEmacs, I'm also including
>instructions on how to profit from Berend's context.el for maximum ease

there's also patricks emacs extension, providing help on commands and so

>and maybe other Windows tricks as well. (Is somebody here good at drawing
>Windows icons [.ico]? I'd need several for the different Windows shortcuts
>for the "I'd rather double-click"  people...)

Were do you needd the icons for? I can metapost a few -) [done so recently
for the example framework]

>BTW, I may not have any very permanent home for the above-mentioned
>Windows instruction pages as I'll lose my university account when I
>finally get my masters - any ideas of where to place the instructions?

we can put 'm on the third party page on our web site

also, if its's for windows, fptex may want to include them (Fabrice
POPINEAU <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr>)

@ 2003-02-09 15:04         ` Thomas Esser
From: Thomas Esser @ 2003-02-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 'official name for the bitstream font path'

fontname/supplier.map (aka "Berry scheme") has:
  b bitstrea

The "TeX directory standard" (TDS) says that fonts are stored as

I don't think that the TDS explicitly says that one has to obey the
Berry scheme, but that's what I do.

Thomas