* Chinese Number Problem
@ 2003-02-05  1:41 Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-05  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am trying to set up ConTeXt to work properly with Chinese. Everything
seemed fine until I discovered that there is some problem with the Chinese
numbers. I have a TeX file with several chapters. I used texexec and
dvipdfmx generated the PDF file without problems. But I found there are
two things wrong (which supposed to be working). The first is that the two
Chinese charaters before the list of contents (corresponding to the
'Contents' before English text) are missing. The second, all the chinese
characters before the chapter titles in the list of contents are missing
(corresponding to the English text 1 or 1.1, etc.).

I tried to figure out what the problem is myself without success. I read
file font-chi.tex and found some commands like:

\def\chinesedigit#1#2% #2: suffix, here * or \empty
  {\udigit{\chineseencoding}{\number#1#2}}
\def\normalchinesenumber#1%
  {\expandafter\dochinesenumber\number#1\relax\empty}

I tried to use these commands in my file directly. But they didn't produce
any output there, even no space left for the numbers inside {}.

I am using MikTeX under Windows XP. I am using the latest ConTeXt beta to
get the dvipdfmx working.

Your help will be appreciated greatly!

Guo

* Re: Chinese Number Problem
@ 2003-02-06  1:58 ` Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-06  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Or maybe somebody can point me to the files and manuals that can lead me
to solve this problem myself? Thanks alot!

Guo

Guo Yang wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to set up ConTeXt to work properly with Chinese. Everything
>seemed fine until I discovered that there is some problem with the Chinese
>numbers. I have a TeX file with several chapters. I used texexec and
>dvipdfmx generated the PDF file without problems. But I found there are
>two things wrong (which supposed to be working). The first is that the two
>Chinese charaters before the list of contents (corresponding to the
>'Contents' before English text) are missing. The second, all the chinese
>characters before the chapter titles in the list of contents are missing
>(corresponding to the English text 1 or 1.1, etc.).
>
>I tried to figure out what the problem is myself without success. I read
>file font-chi.tex and found some commands like:
>
>\def\chinesedigit#1#2% #2: suffix, here * or \empty
>  {\udigit{\chineseencoding}{\number#1#2}}
>\def\normalchinesenumber#1%
>  {\expandafter\dochinesenumber\number#1\relax\empty}
>
>I tried to use these commands in my file directly. But they didn't produce
>any output there, even no space left for the numbers inside {}.
>
>I am using MikTeX under Windows XP. I am using the latest ConTeXt beta to
>get the dvipdfmx working.
>
>Your help will be appreciated greatly!
>
>Guo

* Re: Chinese Number Problem
@ 2003-02-06  3:15   ` Lei Wang
From: Lei Wang @ 2003-02-06  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are you use the same font name as  that in font-chi.tex? if not,
try edit font-chi.tex and change the font name as those used in
your system instead of  using the \definefontsynonym in your
cont-usr.tex or cont-sys.tex may solve the problem.  It seems
use the \definefontsynonym to redefine the font name will cause
context ignore the encoding settings.

Wang

> Or maybe somebody can point me to the files and manuals that can lead me
> to solve this problem myself? Thanks alot!
>
> Guo
>
> Guo Yang wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I am trying to set up ConTeXt to work properly with Chinese. Everything
> >seemed fine until I discovered that there is some problem with the Chinese
> >numbers. I have a TeX file with several chapters. I used texexec and
> >dvipdfmx generated the PDF file without problems. But I found there are
> >two things wrong (which supposed to be working). The first is that the two
> >Chinese charaters before the list of contents (corresponding to the
> >'Contents' before English text) are missing. The second, all the chinese
> >characters before the chapter titles in the list of contents are missing
> >(corresponding to the English text 1 or 1.1, etc.).
> >
> >I tried to figure out what the problem is myself without success. I read
> >file font-chi.tex and found some commands like:
> >
> >\def\chinesedigit#1#2% #2: suffix, here * or \empty
> >  {\udigit{\chineseencoding}{\number#1#2}}
> >\def\normalchinesenumber#1%
> >  {\expandafter\dochinesenumber\number#1\relax\empty}
> >
> >I tried to use these commands in my file directly. But they didn't produce
> >any output there, even no space left for the numbers inside {}.
> >
> >I am using MikTeX under Windows XP. I am using the latest ConTeXt beta to
> >get the dvipdfmx working.
> >
> >Your help will be appreciated greatly!
> >
> >Guo

* Re: Chinese Number Problem
@ 2003-02-06 10:20     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-06 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:15 PM 2/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>Are you use the same font name as  that in font-chi.tex? if not,
>try edit font-chi.tex and change the font name as those used in
>your system instead of  using the \definefontsynonym in your
>cont-usr.tex or cont-sys.tex may solve the problem.  It seems
>use the \definefontsynonym to redefine the font name will cause
>context ignore the encoding settings.

unless you define the encoding with it

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Chinese Number Problem
@ 2003-02-06 19:14     ` Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-06 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much! It indeed solved the problem:)

Guo

Lei Wang wrote:

>Are you use the same font name as  that in font-chi.tex? if not,
>try edit font-chi.tex and change the font name as those used in
>your system instead of  using the \definefontsynonym in your
>cont-usr.tex or cont-sys.tex may solve the problem.  It seems
>use the \definefontsynonym to redefine the font name will cause
>context ignore the encoding settings.
>
>Wang

* Re: Chinese Number Problem
@ 2003-02-06 19:44       ` Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-06 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans

Your suggestion sovled my problem too. Thank you very much!

I don't know if anybody mentioned it here or not, I did have a couple
issues using texexec.pl and texutil.pl under cygwin enviroment.  For the
texexec.pl case, it turned out that it caused by the different naming
scheme for the path, i.e., '\' and '/'. So I added a conditional test in
the RunPerlScript subrouting in texexec.pl to make it work in both cmd
and cygwin. For texutil, I found that somehow it writes a '^M' in the
middle of a comment line and leaves strange number in the list of
contents page. So I commented these two lines out in texutil.tex and
'sovled' the problem:

sub FlushFiles
 {print TUO "%\n" .  "% $Program / Files\n" . "%\n" ;
#  foreach $FILE (keys %Files)
#     { print TUO "% $File ($File{$File})\n" }

I am wondering these problem, if they are, can be corrected in the
future release. Or if they are not, how to solve them without chaning
the programs.  I understand that most of people using integrated
enviroment. But I believe there are still some people like using command
line :))

Thanks,
Guo

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 09:15 PM 2/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>
>> Are you use the same font name as  that in font-chi.tex? if not,
>> try edit font-chi.tex and change the font name as those used in
>> your system instead of  using the \definefontsynonym in your
>> cont-usr.tex or cont-sys.tex may solve the problem.  It seems
>> use the \definefontsynonym to redefine the font name will cause
>> context ignore the encoding settings.
>

> unless you define the encoding with it
>
> Hans
>                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                       Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>  tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Re: Chinese Number Problem
@ 2003-02-07  8:17         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-07  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Fabrice POPINEAU

At 02:44 PM 2/6/2003 -0500, Guo Yang wrote:
>Hans
>
>Your suggestion sovled my problem too. Thank you very much!
>
>I don't know if anybody mentioned it here or not, I did have a couple
>issues using texexec.pl and texutil.pl under cygwin enviroment.  For the
>texexec.pl case, it turned out that it caused by the different naming
>scheme for the path, i.e., '\' and '/'. So I added a conditional test in
>the RunPerlScript subrouting in texexec.pl to make it work in both cmd and
>cygwin. For texutil, I found that somehow it writes a '^M' in the middle
>of a comment line and leaves strange number in the list of contents page.
>So I commented these two lines out in texutil.tex and 'sovled' the problem:
>
>sub FlushFiles
>{print TUO "%\n" .  "% $Program / Files\n" . "%\n" ;
>#  foreach $FILE (keys %Files)
>#     { print TUO "% $File ($File{$File})\n" }
>
>I am wondering these problem, if they are, can be corrected in the future
>release. Or if they are not, how to solve them without chaning the
>programs.  I understand that most of people using integrated enviroment.
>But I believe there are still some people like using command line :))

I don't understand this since it's just a message you comment. What is the
error message?

maybe fabrice (windows path expert) know what is goidn on

@ 2003-02-07 16:13           ` Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-07 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

The first one is just gone suddenly without the change.  Originally it
had such error message:

Can't open perl script "C:texmfcontextperltktexexec.pl": No such file or
directory. (All '\'s in the path
were striped away)

Anyway, I am very glad it just disappeared.

For the second one, it demonstrates itself as one or several '(2)' (for
the files I tested, only text in them, no pictures) before or after the
list of contents page in both the dvi files or pdf files. I found that
in the .tuo file produced by texutil.pl, there was an extra ^M (one
charater)  in this line:

   % TeXUtil 7.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2002 / Files
->% chap^M (2)

, which caused the problem. But I couldn't figure out where this ^M came
from. So I just commented the two lines produce these comments out and
made annoying numbers gone.

Guo

@ 2003-02-07 16:38             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-07 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:13 AM 2/7/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>The first one is just gone suddenly without the change.  Originally it had
>such error message:
>
>Can't open perl script "C:texmfcontextperltktexexec.pl": No such file or
>directory. (All '\'s in the path
>were striped away)
>
>Anyway, I am very glad it just disappeared.
>
>For the second one, it demonstrates itself as one or several '(2)' (for
>the files I tested, only text in them, no pictures) before or after the
>list of contents page in both the dvi files or pdf files. I found that in
>the .tuo file produced by texutil.pl, there was an extra ^M (one
>charater)  in this line:
>
>   % TeXUtil 7.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2002 / Files
>->% chap^M (2)

maybe a

   dos2unix texutil.pl

helps

@ 2003-02-05  1:37 Guo Yang
From: Guo Yang @ 2003-02-05  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to set up ConTeXt to work properly with Chinese. Everything
seemed fine until I discovered that there is some problem with the
Chinese numbers. I have a TeX file with several chapters. I used texexec
and dvipdfmx generated the PDF file without problems. But I found there
are two things wrong (which supposed to be working). The first is that
the two Chinese charaters before the list of contents (corresponding to
the 'Contents' before English text) are missing. The second, all the
chinese characters before the chapter titles in the list of contents are
missing (corresponding to the English text 1 or 1.1, etc.).

I tried to figure out what the problem is. I read file font-chi.tex and
found some commands like:

\def\chinesedigit#1#2% #2: suffix, here * or \empty
   {\udigit{\chineseencoding}{\number#1#2}}
\def\normalchinesenumber#1%
   {\expandafter\dochinesenumber\number#1\relax\empty}

I tried to use these commands in my file directly. But they didn't
produce any output there, even no space left for the numbers inside {}.

I am using MikTeX under Windows XP. I used the latest ConTeXt beta to