* Screen background in two columns
@ 2003-02-07 12:25 Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2003-02-07 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good afternoon.

I'm typesetting a document in two columns. I'd like to typeset examples in it
just in the rest of the text but with a screen background. I tried this:

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setupscreens[screen=0.8]
\setupbackground
  [background=screen,
   leftoffset=1em, rightoffset=1em, topoffset=1em, bottomoffset=1em]
\setupframedtexts
  [frame=off, background=screen, width=fit]

But both \startbackground and \startframedtext does not allow column/page
break. I want the background to start e.g. on the bottom of  the left column
and to go to the top of the right one. How can I get what I want? (Well,
maybe a hard task in the TeX. Some time ago I would suppose it to be
unpossible---but then I've seen such a wizardry in the ConTeXt that made me
to think that everything is possible---at least for Mr. Hagen.) :-)

Many greetings to all of you.
M.K.

* Re: Screen background in two columns
@ 2003-02-08 16:33 ` Hans Hagen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-08 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 01:25 PM 2/7/2003 +0100, Michal Kvasnicka wrote:
>Good afternoon.
>
>I'm typesetting a document in two columns. I'd like to typeset examples in it
>just in the rest of the text but with a screen background. I tried this:
>
>\setupcolors[state=start]
>\setupscreens[screen=0.8]
>\setupbackground
>   [background=screen,
>    leftoffset=1em, rightoffset=1em, topoffset=1em, bottomoffset=1em]
>\setupframedtexts
>   [frame=off, background=screen, width=fit]
>
>But both \startbackground and \startframedtext does not allow column/page
>break. I want the background to start e.g. on the bottom of  the left column
>and to go to the top of the right one. How can I get what I want? (Well,
>maybe a hard task in the TeX. Some time ago I would suppose it to be
>unpossible---but then I've seen such a wizardry in the ConTeXt that made me
>to think that everything is possible---at least for Mr. Hagen.) :-)

I admit that this takes some wizardry to implement, especially if you take
into account that backgrounds should work in tables, tabulate, floats,
inside and outside text areas, obey indentation, left/rightskip, hanging,
nested backgrounds, multiple layers, etc ; this (still somewhat
experimental mechanism will be discussed in details.pdf).

% output=pdftex

\setuplayout
   [width=middle,height=middle,
    backspace=1cm,topspace=1cm,
    header=0pt,footer=0pt,grid=yes]

\setuptolerance[verytolerant,stretch]

\setupindenting[big]

\starttext

\definecolumnset[two][n=3]

\definecolumnsetspan[test]

\definetextbackground[test]
   [location=paragraph, % text
    background=color,
    backgroundcolor=red]

\startcolumnset[two]

\startcolumnsetspan[test]
   \input tufte
\stopcolumnsetspan

\starttextbackground[test]
   \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte \par}
\stoptextbackground

\stopcolumnset

\stoptext

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Screen background in two columns
@ 2003-02-10 14:19   ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2003-02-10 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening.

> I admit that this takes some wizardry to implement, especially if you take

Hm. I thought it's a black magic. Maybe a young Christian boy should abstain
of it. :-)))))

But seriously, it doesn't work. I can't see any color. Yes, I've add
	\setupcolors[state=start]
and tested it. Where's the bug? And one more question: Can the columns be
ballanced? I know some time ago it wasn't possible? Is the ConTeXt wizardry
so mighty?

With many greetings
Michal Kvasnicka

@ 2003-02-10 14:31   ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2003-02-10 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening.

> I admit that this takes some wizardry to implement, especially if you take

Hm. I thought it's a black magic. Maybe a young Christian boy should abstain
of it. :-)))))

But seriously, it doesn't work. I can't see any color. Yes, I've add
        \setupcolors[state=start]
and tested it. Where's the bug? And one more question: Can the columns be
ballanced? I know some time ago it wasn't possible? Is the ConTeXt wizardry
so mighty?

With many greetings
Michal Kvasnicka

> % output=pdftex
>
> \setuplayout
>    [width=middle,height=middle,
>     backspace=1cm,topspace=1cm,
>     header=0pt,footer=0pt,grid=yes]
>
> \setuptolerance[verytolerant,stretch]
>
> \setupindenting[big]
>
> \starttext
>
> \definecolumnset[two][n=3]
>
> \definecolumnsetspan[test]
>
> \definetextbackground[test]
>    [location=paragraph, % text
>     background=color,
>     backgroundcolor=red]
>
> \startcolumnset[two]
>
> \startcolumnsetspan[test]
>    \input tufte
> \stopcolumnsetspan
>
> \starttextbackground[test]
>    \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte \par}
> \stoptextbackground
>
> \stopcolumnset
>
> \stoptext

>                                    Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                        Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>   tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* Columnsets
@ 2003-02-10 14:38   ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2003-02-10 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening.

Is somewhere any general manual for columnsets? Or some general demo in
english interface? I really like the concept but I don't know how to use it.
(Moreover, I've all examples Mr. Hagen sent me when my harddisk crashed.)

Many thanks and greetings,
M.K.

* Re: Columnsets
@ 2003-02-10 21:37     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-02-10 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is somewhere any general manual for columnsets? Or some general demo in
> english interface? I really like the concept but I don't know how to
> use it.
> (Moreover, I've all examples Mr. Hagen sent me when my harddisk
> crashed.)

Here is some crude test file with layers and columnsets.
Perhaps you find out what you're looking for.
I don't really understand it any more... ;-)

\definelayer[test]
\setupcolors[state=start]
%\setupbackgrounds[page][backgroundcolor=yellow,background={color,foregr
ound,test}]
%\setlayer[test][x=10cm,y=0cm]{\externalfigure[koe]}
\setuplayer[test][position=yes]

\tracecolumnsettrue \showgrid

\starttext
\definecolumnset[vier][n=4,distance=6mm]
%\definecolumntextarea		[two] [right][x=5,y=45,nx=2,ny=18,state=start]
%\setupcolumntextareatext	[two]
[right][{\externalfigure[koe][width=\hsize]}]

\startcolumnset[vier]

\input tufte

\placefigure[tblr]{}{}

\input zapf