* re:two questions
@ 2003-02-07  8:02 Tasos Drosopoulos
From: Tasos Drosopoulos @ 2003-02-07  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

First of all thanks guys for the p( ) pointer.

Hans, re your questions:

(1) what fonts
(2) what encoding
(3) what labels

1. I use the cbgreek fonts. A complete package was submitted to ctan on Dec
   2002. Size is ~ 65-70 MB with full support for type1 and tfm that results in
   nicely looking pdf docs. They are the work of A. Syropoulos, one of the
   main contributors to greek babel and omega projects.

2. The encoding I use is the iso-8859-7. The iso-8859-7.def file is again
   written by A. Syropoulos. This works nicely in both my Win2k and Linux
   environments. A simple Left-Alt/Shift changes keyboard layout and I can
   use both greek and english in my documents.

3. Re labels I don't know what they are.

A brief sample of a test tex doc follows:

%--------------------
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[greek]{babel}
\usepackage[iso-8859-7]{inputenc}

\begin{document}

Κανονικά ελληνικά, \textbf{έντονα ελληνικά}, \textit{πλάγια καλλιγραφικά},
\textsl{απλά πλάγια}.

{\LARGE Κανονικά ελληνικά, \textbf{έντονα ελληνικά},
\textit{πλάγια καλλιγραφικά}, \textsl{απλά πλάγια}.}

\thispagestyle{empty}

\end{document}
%--------------------

You should get through dvips a test.ps file with size ~ 158 kb. The
corresponding file through pdflatex is ~ 84 kb. If desired, I can post them
to the group or mail them to you. The iso-8859-7.def file you can get
through ctan.

I find I get the best possible results with the least hassle by using the
newly released teTeX 2.0. The how-to for my setup is:

After installation of tetex-2.0 (see instructions on the tetex src tarball)

1. install iso-8859-7.def -> ../texmf/tex/latex/base/

2. expand somewhere the cb.tar.gz fonts tarball and from it:
   a) copy drivers/*.mf       ->  ../texmf/fonts/source/public/cbgreek/
   b) copy dvips/cbgreek.map  ->  ../texmf/dvips/config/
   c) copy mf/*.mf            ->  ../texmf/fonts/source/public/cbgreek/
   d) copy tfm/*.tfm          ->  ../texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cbgreek/
   e) copy type1/*.pfb        ->  ../texmf/fonts/type1/public/cbgreek/

3. add the following line to the appropriate place in your
   texmf/dvips/config/config.ps file

   p +cbgreek.map

4. add the following line to the appropriate place in your
   texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg file

   map +cbgreek.map

5. texhash your system

In this way I have full support for modern greek in my LaTeX system.

Any other questions you may have feel free to drop them to me.

Tasos

* re:two questions
@ 2003-02-08 17:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-08 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:02 AM 2/7/2003 +0200, Tasos Drosopoulos wrote:

>1. I use the cbgreek fonts. A complete package was submitted to ctan on Dec
>    2002. Size is ~ 65-70 MB with full support for type1 and tfm that
> results in
>    nicely looking pdf docs. They are the work of A. Syropoulos, one of the
>    main contributors to greek babel and omega projects.\

that's quite big for a download; just took a look at the ctan cd but could
not find them there (10/2002 version)

can you make an downloadable archive with the most important
tfm/map/type-1/afm files only (no mp file, just some fonts for testing)

>2. The encoding I use is the iso-8859-7. The iso-8859-7.def file is again
>    written by A. Syropoulos. This works nicely in both my Win2k and Linux
>    environments. A simple Left-Alt/Shift changes keyboard layout and I can
>    use both greek and english in my documents.

mapping is kind of trivial; what i need is

a test file with a table like

greeka <number>  % or some standarddized name, say greekalpha or an adobe
name (look into the afm file)
greekb <number>

which will become a enco-* file

>3. Re labels I don't know what they are.

things like: figure -> \textphi \textjota \textgamma \textupsilon \textrho
\textepsilon -)

[my greek is not that good, although it was part of my school curriculum,
it was not my strongest area; also, it was pretty ancient greek]

>A brief sample of a test tex doc follows:
>
>%--------------------
>\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
>\usepackage[greek]{babel}
>\usepackage[iso-8859-7]{inputenc}

this will be

\useencoding[iso-8859-7]

\mainlanguage [greek]

>\begin{document}

\starttext

corresponding file through pdflatex is ~ 84 kb. If desired, I can post them
>to the group or mail them to you. The iso-8859-7.def file you can get
>through ctan.

mail 'm in chunks

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl