* Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-11  7:55 Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-02-11  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm stymied!

I've looked at Hans' code for inserting a local toc into a
chapter heading:

   http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context/msg04713.html

I just can't get it to generate a local toc.  Could someone please run
the example.

% output=pdftex
\setuplist
  [section]
  [style=boldslanted,
   align=left,
   interaction=all,
   symbol=1,
   width=1em,
   pagenumber=no,
   before=,
   after=]
\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [header=empty,
   style=BigHeadFont,
   alternative=command,
   command=\ContentsHead,
   page=right,
   after={\blank[2*big]}]
\definefont[BigHeadFont][Serif at 36pt]
\def\ContentsHead#1#2%
  {%\setupframed[frame=off]
   \framed[width=\hsize,offset=overlay]
     {\placesidebyside
        {\doifelsenothing{#1}
           {\framed[width=.6\hsize]{}} % dummy
           {\framed
[width=.6\hsize,offset=1em,strut=no,align=right,background=screen]
              {In this chapter: \blank
               \placelist[section][criterium=chapter]}}}
        {\framed
           [width=.4\hsize,offset=1em,strut=no,align=left]
           {#1\par#2}}}}
\starttext
\title {Berend}
\chapter {Berend}
\section {Botje}
\section {Botje}
\section {Botje}
\stoptext

I've also a related question:

   Berend mentions a visual debugger, I want one! (by the way what is
   a visual debugger).

* Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-11  9:51 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-02-11  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guy Worthington <guyw@multiline.com.au> writes:

Hello Guy,

> I've also a related question:
>
>    Berend mentions a visual debugger, I want one! (by the way what is
>    a visual debugger).

\showmakeup

and you'll see.

also works (sometimes) with LaTeX!

Patrick

* Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-11 12:06 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-11 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:55 PM 2/11/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>I'm stymied!
>
>I've looked at Hans' code for inserting a local toc into a
>chapter heading:
>
>    http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context/msg04713.html
>
>I just can't get it to generate a local toc.  Could someone please run
>the example.

Here it does generate the toc, but it's obscure because you haven't enables
colors:

\setupcolors[state=start]

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-12  8:39   ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-02-12  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans,

Your macros at:

   http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context/msg04713.html

were indeed generating a local toc, and as you guessed I hadn't
enabled colors.

I've modified your definition slightly, but in doing so I had to
resort to plain TeX.  The definition now places the Chapter title
underneath the table of contexts.  This is to cater for longer Chapter
titles.  My modification, using \llap, is very fragile, in that I've
had to hardwire in dimensions.  One day soon I'll think in multiple
levels of indirection like you do.

Again, however I'm stalled.  My modification has had the side-effect
that the chapter number which is the most important navigation aid,
now commands little respect.  I'd like to elevate its status, by
pushing it up into the top-right corner (even perhaps slightly out
into the margin) and increasing its weight to extra bold.

I tried to increase the weight by using cmssbx10, but had no luck.

Here's my attempt:

% output=pdftex
%% chapter head layout
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuplist[section]
          [style=boldslanted,
	   align=right,
	   interaction=all,
	   symbol=1,
	   width=0.5em,
	   pagenumber=no,
	   before=,
	   after=]
\setuphead[chapter]
          [header=empty,
	   style=BigHeadFont,
	   alternative=command,
	   command=\ContentsHead,
	   page=right,
	   after={\blank[2*big]}]
\definefont[BigHeadFont][Serif at 36pt]
\font\BigHeadNumberFont=cmssbx10 at 36pt
\def\ContentsHead#1#2%
  {\setupframed[frame=off]
   \framed[width=\hsize,offset=overlay]
     {\placesidebyside
        {\doifelsenothing{#1}
           {\framed[width=.6\hsize]{}} % dummy
           {\framed
[width=.6\hsize,offset=1em,strut=no,align=right,background=screen]
              {{\tfa In this chapter:} \blank
               \placelist[section][criterium=chapter]}}}
        {\framed
            [width=.4\hsize,offset=1em,strut=no,align=left]
          {{\BigHeadNumberFont #1}}}}
     \llap{\lower43.2pt\hbox{#2\hskip1em}}} % 36pt x 1.2
\starttext
\chapter {Berend}
\section {Botje}
\section {Botje}
\section {Botje}
\stoptext

* Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-12  9:01   ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-02-12  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> [use] \showmakeup  and you'll see [the visual debugger].

Thanks Patrick,

\showmakeup  certainly describes the page layout in detail.

* Re: Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-12 10:15     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-02-12 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Guy,

a propos visual debugger ...

personally I often use

\showframe

This is usefull, if things are not placed where expected.

Willi

* Re: Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-12 11:15       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-12 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:15 AM 2/12/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Guy,
>
>a propos visual debugger ...
>
>personally I often use
>
>\showframe
>
>This is usefull, if things are not placed where expected.

ok then, for the dirty details lovers:

\showimplicits
\showbaselines
\showpagebuilder
\showwhatsits (tricky)
\showfills
\showboxes
\showskips
\showpenalties

plus some 50 other tracing thingies

(personally i also have a bunch of \fake<thisorthat>'s)

Hans

@ 2003-02-13  3:04     ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-02-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just following up on my own post.  The following code has the effect I
was after.  If you want to use it as a template, you'd be advised to
read my method in constructing such ugliness.

To remind you, I want to increase the font weight of the chapter
number, but not increase the font weight of the chapter title.  Thus,
facing my usual dilemma -- so many commands and no f*cking clues, I
added the \string command immediately before the parameter containing
the chapter number, #1, to see what #1 actually contained.

If you do this, you'll see that #1 contains something else, infact #1
starts out as ``dostartattributes@@ko ... ''.  I've no idea how to
read the source code, so at this point, I decided to redefine my
chapter style parameter \BigHeadFont locally, before #1 is expanded.
And so, if you read the code, you'll see a font definition

   \definefont[BigHeadFont][SerifBold at 40pt]

buried deep within the code.  This seems to work, although redefining
font definitions on the fly is probably not good practice.

I also wanted to move the chapter number, up to the top right hand
corner of the main text area.  I did this increasing the amount of
glue until the number was pushed outside its box.

Here is the code:

%% chapter head layout
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuplist[section]
          [style=boldslanted,
	   align=right,
	   interaction=all,
	   symbol=1,
	   width=0.5em,
	   pagenumber=no,
	   before=,
	   after=]
\setuphead[chapter]
          [header=empty,
	   style=BigHeadFont,
	   alternative=command,
	   command=\ContentsHead,
	   page=right,
	   after={\blank[2*big]}]
\definefont[BigHeadFont][Serif at 24.9pt]
\def\ContentsHead#1#2%
  {\setupframed[frame=off]
   \framed[width=\hsize,offset=overlay]
     {\placesidebyside
        {\doifelsenothing{#1}
           {\framed[width=.6\hsize]{}} % dummy
           {\framed
[width=.6\hsize,offset=1em,strut=no,align=right,background=screen]
              {{\tfa In this chapter:} \blank
               \placelist[section][criterium=chapter]}}}
           {\framed
               [width=.4\hsize,strut=no,align=left]
              {\definefont[BigHeadFont][SerifBold at 40pt]
	          %% Typeset Chapter Number
	          \hbox{%
		      \vbox to 24.9pt{% size of BigHeadFont
		          \vss
			  #1}}}
              \vfilll}}
     %% Typeset Chapter Title
     \llap{\lower29.9pt\hbox{#2\hskip1em}}} % 24.9pt x 1.2

\starttext
%\showmakeup
\chapter {Berend}
\section {Botje}
\section {Botje}
\section {Botje}
\stoptext

* Re: Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-13 16:52       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-13 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:04 AM 2/13/2003 +0800, Guy Worthington wrote:

>number, but not increase the font weight of the chapter title.  Thus,
>facing my usual dilemma -- so many commands and no f*cking clues, I
>added the \string command immediately before the parameter containing
>the chapter number, #1, to see what #1 actually contained.

how about using

   numberstyle=...
   textstyle=...

instead of

   style=

>If you do this, you'll see that #1 contains something else, infact #1
>starts out as ``dostartattributes@@ko ... ''.  I've no idea how to

right, #1 is something raher tex

Hans

@ 2003-02-14 11:51         ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-02-14 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans,

splitting the [style=...] option in the \setuphead[] macro, into the
[numberstyle=...,textstyle=...] options, was the last piece in the
jigsaw, for chapter headings (I hope).

* Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-14 13:10           ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-02-14 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

For all you propeller-heads that like to see bad code here's my
chapter heading setup:

%output=pdf

%% chapter head layout
\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuplist[section]
          [style=boldslanted,
	   align=right,
	   interaction=all,
	   symbol=1,
	   width=0.5em,
	   pagenumber=no,
	   before=,
	   after=]
\setuphead[chapter]
          [header=empty,
	   numberstyle=ChapterTitleNumberFont,
	   textstyle=ChapterTitleTextFont
	   alternative=command,
	   command=\ContentsHead,
	   page=right,
	   after={\blank[2*big]}]
\definefont[ChapterTitleTextFont][Serif at 24.9pt]
\definefont[ChapterTitleNumberFont][SerifBold at 40pt]
\def\ContentsHead#1#2%
  {\setupframed[frame=off]
   \framed[width=\hsize,offset=overlay]
     {\placesidebyside
        {\doifelsenothing{#1}
           {\framed [width=.6\hsize]{}} % dummy
           {\framed [width=.6\hsize,offset=1em,strut=no,align=right,
	             background=screen]
              {\vi In this chapter: \blank
                 \placelist[section][criterium=chapter]}}}
        {\framed [width=.4\hsize,strut=no,align=left]
		    %% Typeset Chapter Number
		    {\hbox{\vbox to 24.9pt{% height ChapterTitleTextFont
		          \vss
			  #1}}}
           \vfilll}
     }%
   %% Typeset Chapter Title
   \llap{\lower24.9pt\hbox{#2\hskip0.5em}}}

\showmakeup

\starttext
\chapter {Berend}
\section {Botje}
\section {Botje}
\section {Botje}
\stoptext

* Re: Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-14 13:32             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-14 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:10 PM 2/14/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>For all you propeller-heads that like to see bad code here's my
>chapter heading setup:

>%output=pdf
>
>%% chapter head layout
>\setupcolors[state=start]
>\setuplist[section]
>           [style=boldslanted,
>            align=right,
>            interaction=all,
>            symbol=1,
>            width=0.5em,
>            pagenumber=no,
>            before=,
>            after=]
>\setuphead[chapter]
>           [header=empty,
>            numberstyle=ChapterTitleNumberFont,
>            textstyle=ChapterTitleTextFont
>            alternative=command,
>            command=\ContentsHead,
>            page=right,
>            after={\blank[2*big]}]
>\definefont[ChapterTitleTextFont][Serif at 24.9pt]
>\definefont[ChapterTitleNumberFont][SerifBold at 40pt]
>\def\ContentsHead#1#2%
>   {\setupframed[frame=off]

                           ^ add % here to prevent spurious space

>    \framed[width=\hsize,offset=overlay]
>      {\placesidebyside
>         {\doifelsenothing{#1}

or        \doifmodeelse{*sectionnumber}

>            {\framed [width=.6\hsize]{}} % dummy
>            {\framed [width=.6\hsize,offset=1em,strut=no,align=right,
>                      background=screen]
>               {\vi In this chapter: \blank
>                  \placelist[section][criterium=chapter]}}}
>         {\framed [width=.4\hsize,strut=no,align=left]
>                     %% Typeset Chapter Number
>                     {\hbox{\vbox to 24.9pt{% height ChapterTitleTextFont
>                           \vss
>                           #1}}}
>            \vfilll}
>      }%
>    %% Typeset Chapter Title
>    \llap{\lower24.9pt\hbox{#2\hskip0.5em}}}
>
>\showmakeup

i didn't look how it looks (so i will not comment on that)

about bad code: you will always need some low level coding to achieve
certain effects; also the code does not look that bad -)

Hans

@ 2003-02-14 13:50               ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2003-02-14 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for posting this Guy.  Looks good (though the bullet in the TOC
looks kind of cramped in relation to the text entry).  This is just the
kind of "code that actually" works example I love to see (since I could
not do something like on my own, or simply looking at code snippets in
a manual).

Can you explain the below if you have a chance Hans?

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 08:32  AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>   {\setupframed[frame=off]
>                           ^ add % here to prevent spurious space

If I am reading the above right, you are suggesting
{\setupframed%[frame=off], but that doesn't seem right.

Bruce

* Re: Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-14 13:52                 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2003-02-14 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce D'Arcus said this at Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:50:34 -0500:

>On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 08:32  AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>>   {\setupframed[frame=off]
>>                           ^ add % here to prevent spurious space
>
>If I am reading the above right, you are suggesting
>{\setupframed%[frame=off], but that doesn't seem right.

I think he means:
{\setupframed[frame=off]%
to avoid the newline/whitespace between here and the next line.

adam

 Adam T. Lindsay                      atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Computing Dept, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/594.537
 Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/593.608

* Re: Re: Inserting a mini toc into the chapter heading
@ 2003-02-14 20:15                 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-02-14 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Bruce,

Sorry when I give an answer to this ...

In Context you are allowed to add a linefeed after \setupframed in order to
put the [...] options on a new line indented. To prevent spurious spaces if
the options follow on the next line you are adviced to add a % after
\setupframed%.

Willi

@ 2003-02-17  1:23                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-17  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:15 PM 2/14/2003 +0100, Willi Egger wrote:
>Hi Bruce,
>
>Sorry when I give an answer to this ...
>
>In Context you are allowed to add a linefeed after \setupframed in order to
>put the [...] options on a new line indented. To prevent spurious spaces if
>the options follow on the next line you are adviced to add a % after
>\setupframed%.

actually, no space is needed after a \cs

\def\mymacro
   {\something
    \more
    \\% 2 char cs, space is obeyed
    \setupthis[this]%
    \setupthat[that]
      [more]%
    \ifnum\aaa=\bbb       % if \bbb=counter/chardef
    \ifnum\aaa=\bbb\relax % if \bbb is macro
    \ifnum\aaa=0
    idem for ifdim etc, but
    \ifskip\aaa=\bbb\relax  % to prevent lookahead
    etc

esp dangerous is \dimexpr(..) since this has a confusing lookahead (and
syntax as well)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl