* fontsize in math
@ 2003-03-05 13:14 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2003-03-05 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

I encountered an issue in fontsizing in math mode that I do not
understand.
Searched the manual but couldn't find (or missed) the clue.

Using the green presentation style but changed to a somewhat larger
fontsize by adding:
\setupbodyfont[lbr, sans, 17.3pt]	% lucidabright

typesetting the following text:
{abc$abc$abc} --- {\tfx abc$abc$abc} --- {\tfx abc}{$\tfx abc$}{\tfx
abc}

In the first the abc's have the same size.
In the second the math part has kept its size, the other two are
smaller.
In the third the math part is now so small is doesn't match in size as
it did in the first.

I would have thought the math would vary in accordance with the \tfx.
However, within $'s the font does not follow the outside \tfx, while
inside a different size seems to be chosen. I am baffled.
Can you point in the right direction? Thanks.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: fontsize in math
@ 2003-03-06 13:29 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-06 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 02:14 PM 3/5/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Hans,
>
>I encountered an issue in fontsizing in math mode that I do not understand.
>Searched the manual but couldn't find (or missed) the clue.
>
>Using the green presentation style but changed to a somewhat larger
>fontsize by adding:
>\setupbodyfont[lbr, sans, 17.3pt]       % lucidabright
>
>typesetting the following text:
>{abc$abc$abc} --- {\tfx abc$abc$abc} --- {\tfx abc}{$\tfx abc$}{\tfx abc}
>
>In the first the abc's have the same size.
>In the second the math part has kept its size, the other two are smaller.
>In the third the math part is now so small is doesn't match in size as it
>did in the first.
>
>I would have thought the math would vary in accordance with the \tfx.
>However, within $'s the font does not follow the outside \tfx, while
>inside a different size seems to be chosen. I am baffled.
>Can you point in the right direction? Thanks.

The x and xx sizes are meant for text purposes, like text super and
subscripts and pseudo kaps; opposite to a-d sizes that are meant for heads
and so; as a result, x and xx are fast, a-d are slower due to the fact that
math is synchronzied (can be turned on/off)

When you want to switch to a smaller/larger bodyfont, you should use

\smallbodyfont == \switchtobodyfont[smallbodyfont]
\bigbodyfont   == ...

This will switch the whole thing (kee pin mind that for math also the two
smaller super/sub sizes have to be set up). When using typescripts (i.e.
namespaces font sets with global file resolving) the penalty in terms of
time is small.

So:

   use \smallbidyfont instead of \tfx in your case

btw, in the third example the second tfx is actually a tfxx, so {text \tfx
text \tfx text} makes the last one real small; as said, the main reason for
the x sizes in in super/sub scripts and pseudo kaps (we use those a lot in
educ docs and these commands also obey the font style)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl