* Index questions
@ 2003-02-17 18:35 Miller Maley
From: Miller Maley @ 2003-02-17 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have some questions about the index (register) facility in ConTeXt.

1) I like that ConTeXt automatically breaks the index into portions by
first letter, but how do I change the style of the subhead that says
'a', 'b', or whatever?  Among other things, I would like these little
subheads to be uppercase.

2) Sometimes a topic is referenced at two nearby places in the text.
If these places fall on separate pages, I would like the index to
mention both of them.  If they fall on the same page, however, the
index entry is duplicated.  I expected texutil to remove duplicate
index entries when sorting.  Is it supposed to?  (This is not a major
problem; I can work around it.)

3) Likewise (this is a suggestion rather than a question) it would be
nice if ConTeXt automatically transformed a sequence of 3 or more
consecutive index entries (such as 10, 11, 12) into a page range
(10-12).  I realize there is a facility (\startindex...\stopindex) to
get these page ranges manually, so again this is not a major issue.

4) If I have the command \seeindex{foo}{bar} and also \index{foo} on
page 17, it would be nice if the index could say

foo 17
    see also bar

rather than just "see bar".  Is there a way to get this behavior?

-- Miller Maley

* Re: Index questions
@ 2003-02-21 14:02 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-02-21 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 17 February 2003 18:35, Miller Maley wrote:
> I have some questions about the index (register) facility in ConTeXt.
>
> 1) I like that ConTeXt automatically breaks the index into portions
> by first letter, but how do I change the style of the subhead that
> says 'a', 'b', or whatever?  Among other things, I would like these
> little subheads to be uppercase.
>
> 2) Sometimes a topic is referenced at two nearby places in the text.
> If these places fall on separate pages, I would like the index to
> mention both of them.  If they fall on the same page, however, the
> index entry is duplicated.  I expected texutil to remove duplicate
> index entries when sorting.  Is it supposed to?  (This is not a major
> problem; I can work around it.)
>
> 3) Likewise (this is a suggestion rather than a question) it would be
> nice if ConTeXt automatically transformed a sequence of 3 or more
> consecutive index entries (such as 10, 11, 12) into a page range
> (10-12).  I realize there is a facility (\startindex...\stopindex) to
> get these page ranges manually, so again this is not a major issue.
>
> 4) If I have the command \seeindex{foo}{bar} and also \index{foo} on
> page 17, it would be nice if the index could say
>
> foo 17
>     see also bar
>
> rather than just "see bar".  Is there a way to get this behavior?
>
> -- Miller Maley
All these features are available in either Makeindex or Xindy.
Context hasn't got that far yet. I include the index.tex file from the
Texsis distribution and follow that package's conventions.

With Makeindex there is a parameter file that sets up the output
formatting.

See my previous post on this subject.
--
John Culleton
Books are cheaper than mistakes.

* Re: Index questions
@ 2003-03-05 14:37   ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2003-03-05 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening.

Can you tell me please where can I get the file (and some documentation to
it)? Index is my worst (and maybe only) problem with ConTeXt.

Many thanks,
M.K.

@ 2003-03-05 14:50   ` Michal Kvasnicka
From: Michal Kvasnicka @ 2003-03-05 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening.

Can you hint me where to find the file and some documentation to it? I've
never used Makeindex before. Some exapmples how to use it with the ConTeXt
would be appreciated. :-) The index is the worst (maybe only) problem I have
with the ConTeXt.

Many thanks and greetings,
Michal Kvasnicka

@ 2003-03-06 22:33     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-06 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:37 PM 3/5/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Good evening.
>
>Can you tell me please where can I get the file (and some documentation to
>it)? Index is my worst (and maybe only) problem with ConTeXt.

I'll look into the index problems asap, (first i want to haev the new
stable version out); the index functionality is there, it's mainly a matter
of getting the sorting done

(well, a quick sorting hack is: \index [sortkey] {index})

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl