* naming relative paths within a project
@ 2003-02-24 12:05 Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-02-24 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got a very short question, but coupled to a very long
explanation, my question is: when referencing a component file from
within a product file (and given that the component file is stored in
the same directory as the product file, which is in a sub-directory
below my project file) must I include the relative path of the component
file from my project directory, through my sub-directories to my
component file, or can I just refer to the component's filename.

Now here is the actual example.  I've done a little bit of ASCII
artwork below showing the directory structure that I'm following.  My
artwork isn't the best, so I've also include some explanation.

Project

  ---- EnviromentPageLayout.tex  (global environment file)

  ---- Project.tex               (project file)

  |----|
  |  FrontMatter                        (directory)
  |    |
  |    ---- EnvironmentFrontMatter.tex  (local environment file)
  |    |
  |    ---- ProductFrontMatter.tex      (product file)
  |    |
  |    ---- TitlePage.tex               (component file)
  |    |
  |    ---- Contents.tex                (component file)
  |    |

  |----|
  |  BodyMatter                         (directory)
  |    |
  |    ---- EnvironmentBodyMatter.tex   (local environment file)
  |    |
  |    ---- ProductBodyMatter.tex       (product file)
  |    |
  |    ---- Chapter01.tex               (component file)
  |    |
  |    ---- Chapter02.tex               (component file)
  |    |
  |----|
      BackMatter                        (directory)

       ---- EnvironmentBackMatter.tex   (local environment file)

       ---- ProductBackMatter.tex       (product file)

       ---- Appendix01.tex              (component file)

       ---- Index.tex                   (component file)

In my Project directory I have two files:

  1) EnvironmentPageLayout.tex

     If you are interested in an environment, the one I've based mine
     on is the one posted by David Arnold

     http://ml-archives.mini.pw.edu.pl/ntg-context/msg02853.html

  2) Project.tex

   ----

   %project file

   \startproject Project

   \environment EnvironmentPageLayout

   \product FrontMatter/ProductFrontMatter

   \product BodyMatter/ProductBodyMatter

   \product BackMatter/ProductBackMatter

   \stopproject

   ---

From the project directory, I've created 3 sub-directories,
FrontMatter, BodyMatter, and BackMatter and each of these
sub-directories contains:

  1) an Environment file

  2) a Product file, for example, in the BodyMatter directory, I have

   -----

   % product file

   \startproduct ProductBodyMatter

   \project Project

   \environment BodyMatter/EnvironmentBodyMatter

   \startbodymatter

   \component BodyMatter/Chapter01

   \stopbodymatter

   \stopproduct

   -----

  3) many Component files, for example, Chapter01.tex, in the BodyMatter
     directory, looks like:

   -----

   % component Chapter01

   \startcomponent Chapter01

   \project ProjectJavaXMLManuscript

   \product BodyMatter/ProductBodyMatter

   \chapter[introduction]{Introduction}

   \stopcomponent

   -----

So my question in terms of the above structure, is: must I refer to
each component in the product file by its full path name

  \component BodyMatter/Chapter01

or can I refer to it, by just its file name

  \component Chapter01

where Chapter01.tex is a file contained in a subdirectory of the
project file.

* Re: naming relative paths within a project
@ 2003-03-11 23:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-11 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Indeed you need to add the (relative) path, simply because tex cannot ask
for a directory (well, now i think of it, it can by using a sys call;
actually i do have a script that generates an xml path structure, so maybe
i can add that as feature some day)

if your filenames are unique, you can omit the paths and say:

\usepath[BodyMatter]
\usepath[FrontMatter]

context does look for files at . and .. and ../.. and ../../..
(configurable depth)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl