* Re: Using MetaPost graphics in ConTeXt
@ 2003-03-25  8:46 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-25  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:16 PM 3/24/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>The macro \calculateexternalfigure seems to set the extension to empty
>if the figure file name is the same as the jobname:
>
>    % redo message, only filename
>    \doifparentfileelse\@@effilename
>      {\@EA\removefromcommalist\@EA{\jobsuffix}\figuretypes
>       \let\@@efextension\empty
>       \showmessage\m!figures9\@@effilename
>       \donefalse}
>      \donothing
>
>(core-fig.tex)
>
>Therefore it does not search for your nonstandard extension.

the search for graphics is kind of fuzzy and dates from the time that we
were still using dvi (different backends)

- without suffix: try the best quality (depends on spec driver support)
- with suffix: try that first, else locate alternative
- same as parent file: try to avoid circular loading (keep in mind that tex
code can be a graphic, i.e. buffers can be scaled)

- all these are combined with a search over several paths, utilityfile, etc

also, most of this is overloaded when using figure databases -)
Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[2]: Using MetaPost graphics in ConTeXt
@ 2003-03-25 10:38 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-03-25 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, March 25, 2003 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> the search for graphics is kind of fuzzy and dates from the time that we
HH> were still using dvi (different backends)

HH> - without suffix: try the best quality (depends on spec driver support)
HH> - with suffix: try that first, else locate alternative
HH> - same as parent file: try to avoid circular loading (keep in mind that tex
HH> code can be a graphic, i.e. buffers can be scaled)

The third point is too severe in its behaviour: it's a good thing that circular
other files with different extensions! After the removal of the
\jobsuffix extension, inclusion should go on normally!

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: Using MetaPost graphics in ConTeXt
@ 2003-03-25 12:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-25 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:38 AM 3/25/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>The third point is too severe in its behaviour: it's a good thing that
>circular
>other files with different extensions! After the removal of the
>\jobsuffix extension, inclusion should go on normally!

it will, fo rthose sufixes that are recognized as being supported by the
backend; numbers are special case in the sense that they don't relate to a
file format; if you uncomment the lines i mentioned you get them supported

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[3]: Using MetaPost graphics in ConTeXt
@ 2003-03-25 12:49     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-03-25 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, March 25, 2003 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> At 11:38 AM 3/25/2003 +0100, you wrote:

>>The third point is too severe in its behaviour: it's a good thing that
>>circular
>>other files with different extensions! After the removal of the
>>\jobsuffix extension, inclusion should go on normally!

HH> it will, fo rthose sufixes that are recognized as being supported by the
HH> backend; numbers are special case in the sense that they don't relate to a
HH> file format; if you uncomment the lines i mentioned you get them supported

The problem is not the numbers as such, it's a more general point;
especially then type= or method= are specified, extension should
be irrelevant as long as it doesn't cause name clash. On a very
general basis, I would say that the best approach would be:

Step 1: check for name clashes:
 * if name = \jobname:
   (a) if extension = \jobsuffix or output suffix (dvi, pdf), quit
   parsing
   (b) if no extension, remove jobsuffix and output suffix from
   list of searched extensions.

Step 2: if extension is specified, and no method is specified,
set method to the one associated with this extension, if there is
one.

Step 3: check if file exists;
 * if we have a full name, try to open the specified
 name.extension, with the specified method
 * if the file is not found, and no extension was specified, look
 for all the known extensions (except the ones forbidden by Step
 1, point b); if a method/type is specified and it has a default extension,
 start looking from that extension

Or something like this ...

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Using MetaPost graphics in ConTeXt
@ 2003-03-24 19:16 ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2003-03-24 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 10:38:37PM +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use some MetaPost-generated graphics with ConTeXt,
> but I seem to be unable to do so. I have a file test.1 in the same
> directory as the ConTeXt source, which is as minimal as:
>
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \placefigure[left]
> {Esempio di settore circolare}
> {\externalfigure[test.1]}
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> but it seems like it can't find the file test (no extension); I
> tried adding options [type=mps] or [method=mps] or both, but each
> fails with a different error: either it looks for test.mps or it
> looks for test.unknown ...

The macro \calculateexternalfigure seems to set the extension to empty
if the figure file name is the same as the jobname:

   % redo message, only filename
   \doifparentfileelse\@@effilename
     {\@EA\removefromcommalist\@EA{\jobsuffix}\figuretypes
      \let\@@efextension\empty
      \showmessage\m!figures9\@@effilename
      \donefalse}
     \donothing

(core-fig.tex)

Therefore it does not search for your nonstandard extension.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

* Re: Using MetaPost graphics in ConTeXt
@ 2003-03-24  6:09 ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2003-03-24  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> [Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 10:38:37PM CET]:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use some MetaPost-generated graphics with ConTeXt,
> but I seem to be unable to do so. I have a file test.1 in the same
> directory as the ConTeXt source, which is as minimal as:
>
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \placefigure[left]
> {Esempio di settore circolare}
> {\externalfigure[test.1]}

\useexternalfigure[prova][test.1][width=450pt] % the last one is optional
\externalfigure[prova]

Greetings

Johannes
--
Johannes Hüsing   There is something fascinating about science. One gets
hannes@ruhrau.de  such wholesale returns of conjecture from such a

* Using MetaPost graphics in ConTeXt
@ 2003-03-23 21:38 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-03-23 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm trying to use some MetaPost-generated graphics with ConTeXt,
but I seem to be unable to do so. I have a file test.1 in the same
directory as the ConTeXt source, which is as minimal as:

\starttext
\input tufte
\placefigure[left]
{Esempio di settore circolare}
{\externalfigure[test.1]}
\input knuth
\stoptext

but it seems like it can't find the file test (no extension); I
tried adding options [type=mps] or [method=mps] or both, but each
fails with a different error: either it looks for test.mps or it
looks for test.unknown ...

What should I do (apart renaming the figure file)?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta