* On figures and clipping
@ 2003-04-01 16:09 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-04-01 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have some problems with the way to put clipped images in ConTeXt
documents; for what I can see the correct way to do it is via
something like:

\clip
  [width=6.3cm,height=10.5cm,hoffset=0.5cm,voffset=1cm]
  {\externalfigure[ciccione_03.pdf]}

Now suppose that I wanted to put the above thing zoomed 200%;
and here I have two problems:

(a) I can't seem to find the proper number to pass on to scale= or
factor= in the \externalfigure options

(b) AFAICS I need to scale all the clipping parameters as well.

Point (b) is particularly annoying; is there a way to "pre-clip"
an image, without touching the original file? It should be
possible to specify clipping area at inclusion time (LaTeX's
graphicx package can do that ...), and therefore in a
scale-independent way (this is especially important when the scale
factor is something like "max" or "fit" or "broad").

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: On figures and clipping
@ 2003-04-07 10:41 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-07 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> writes:

Hello Giuseppe,

> \clip
>   [width=6.3cm,height=10.5cm,hoffset=0.5cm,voffset=1cm]
>   {\externalfigure[ciccione_03.pdf]}
>
> Now suppose that I wanted to put the above thing zoomed 200%;
> and here I have two problems:

So you want to clip first and scale the result to 200%? Or do you
wish to clip the enlarged figure?

\scale[sx=2,sy=2]{%
\clip [width=3cm,
       height=5cm,
       hoffset=0cm,
       voffset=0cm]{\externalfigure[cow]}}

> graphicx package can do that ...), and therefore in a
> scale-independent way (this is especially important when the scale
> factor is something like "max" or "fit" or "broad").

this can't be done with the above.

Pat

* Re: Re: On figures and clipping
@ 2003-04-07 13:34   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-04-07 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Monday, April 7, 2003 Patrick Gundlach wrote:

PG> So you want to clip first and scale the result to 200%? Or do you
PG> wish to clip the enlarged figure?

The former.

PG> \scale[sx=2,sy=2]{%
PG> \clip [width=3cm,
PG>        height=5cm,
PG>        hoffset=0cm,
PG>        voffset=0cm]{\externalfigure[cow]}}

Oh, thanks.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: On figures and clipping
@ 2003-04-08 11:29 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-08 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 18:09 01/04/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have some problems with the way to put clipped images in ConTeXt
>documents; for what I can see the correct way to do it is via
>something like:
>
>\clip
>   [width=6.3cm,height=10.5cm,hoffset=0.5cm,voffset=1cm]
>   {\externalfigure[ciccione_03.pdf]}
>
>Now suppose that I wanted to put the above thing zoomed 200%;
>and here I have two problems:
>
>(a) I can't seem to find the proper number to pass on to scale= or
>factor= in the \externalfigure options
>
>(b) AFAICS I need to scale all the clipping parameters as well.

in addition to other answers: you can always surround it with \scale[..] ...

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl