* auto sizing an intermezzo?
@ 2003-04-02 22:17 Mark A. Lilly
From: Mark A. Lilly @ 2003-04-02 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
I'm a new convert to ConTeXt from Latex, and i have setup an intermezzo.
As i am trying to link everything to my DocBook files, i want to be able to
move <quotes> over to ConTeXt and place them in an intermezzo and have the
intermezzo automatically size itself.

So far i have this:
\placeintermezzo
[right]{none}{
\framed
[height=3.8cm,
width=5cm,
background=color,
offset=5pt,
backgroundcolor=quoteBox,
framecolor=quoteBox,
corner=round,
radius=4pt]
{\rbox{here is the quote}}}

But this has hardcoded width and height. How can i set the width and let
the intermezzo size the height to fit. I tried changing height to 'fit' but
that didn't work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
mark

* Re: auto sizing an intermezzo?
@ 2003-04-07  7:46 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-07  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mark A. Lilly" <mlilly@tinorb.com> writes:

Hi,

> But this has hardcoded width and height. How can i set the width and
> let the intermezzo size the height to fit. I tried changing height to
> 'fit' but that didn't work.

Just leave out the height= and width= in your setup:

\starttext
\placeintermezzo
[right]{none}{
\framed
[background=color,
offset=5pt,
backgroundcolor=quoteBox,
framecolor=quoteBox,
corner=round,
radius=4pt]
{here is the quote}}
\stoptext

Please post examples that are working by themself. It would help
if I (I can only speak for me...) can just copy and paste the example
and play around with it. In the above, \starttext and \stoptext are
missing, as well as the color definition.

HTH,

Patrick

* Re: auto sizing an intermezzo?
@ 2003-04-07  8:03 ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-04-07  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mark A. Lilly" <mlilly@tinorb.com> writes:

> hi,
> I'm a new convert to ConTeXt from Latex, and i have setup an intermezzo.
> As i am trying to link everything to my DocBook files, i want to be able to
> move <quotes> over to ConTeXt and place them in an intermezzo and have the
> intermezzo automatically size itself.
>
> So far i have this:
> \placeintermezzo
> [right]{none}{
> \framed
> [height=3.8cm,
> width=5cm,
> background=color,
> offset=5pt,
> backgroundcolor=quoteBox,
> framecolor=quoteBox,
> corner=round,
> radius=4pt]
> {\rbox{here is the quote}}}
>
> But this has hardcoded width and height. How can i set the width and let
> the intermezzo size the height to fit. I tried changing height to 'fit' but
> that didn't work.
>
> Any thoughts?

You're just in vbox,hbox,vbox, ... ,hbox,vbox purgatory.  When I'm sent
there, I just try every combination of boxes until one works:

-----
\starttext
\placeintermezzo
[right]{none}{
\framed
[%height=3.8cm,
width=5cm,
background=color,
offset=5pt,
backgroundcolor=quoteBox,
framecolor=quoteBox,
corner=round,
radius=4pt]
{\raggedleft here is the quote}}
\stoptext
-----

* Re: Re: auto sizing an intermezzo?
@ 2003-04-08 10:44   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-08 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 16:03 07/04/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>"Mark A. Lilly" <mlilly@tinorb.com> writes:
>
> > hi,
> > I'm a new convert to ConTeXt from Latex, and i have setup an intermezzo.
> > As i am trying to link everything to my DocBook files, i want to be
> able to
> > move <quotes> over to ConTeXt and place them in an intermezzo and have the
> > intermezzo automatically size itself.
> >
> > So far i have this:
> > \placeintermezzo
> > [right]{none}{
> > \framed
> > [height=3.8cm,

if you set the "align" and the height, then the width (when set to fit)
will be automatically calculated.

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Re: auto sizing an intermezzo?
@ 2003-04-08 21:33     ` Mark A. Lilly
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark A. Lilly @ 2003-04-08 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

greetings

At 12:44 PM 4/8/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>At 16:03 07/04/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>>"Mark A. Lilly" <mlilly@tinorb.com> writes:
>>
>> > hi,
>> > I'm a new convert to ConTeXt from Latex, and i have setup an intermezzo.
>> > As i am trying to link everything to my DocBook files, i want to be
>> able to
>> > move <quotes> over to ConTeXt and place them in an intermezzo and have the
>> > intermezzo automatically size itself.
>> >
>> > So far i have this:
>> > \placeintermezzo
>> > [right]{none}{
>> > \framed
>> > [height=3.8cm,
>
>if you set the "align" and the height, then the width (when set to fit)
>will be automatically calculated.

it seems then, that the following should make a narrower box, but for me,
it's full width, with lots of white space underneath??

%%start intermezzo test
\starttext

\placeintermezzo
[]{none}{
\framed
[
height=4.1cm,
width=fit,
align=right,
framecolor=gray,
offset=5pt,
]{\rbox{\quotation{...the gift is perhaps not strictly or simply one of
foretelling, but is
rather the power of seeing (if only for a flash) \em{everything at
once}: seeing whole}
\\
--Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula LeGuin}}
}

\stoptext
%%end intermezzo test

thanks,
mark

@ 2003-04-09  6:32       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-09  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mark A. Lilly" <misc@tinorb.com> writes:

Hello Mark,

> it seems then, that the following should make a narrower box, but for
> me, it's full width, with lots of white space underneath??

Oh, you want the height fixed, the text take up all the height and
let the width fit snugly? I am not sure if this is possible easily
with ConTeXt (perhaps - as usual - I am wrong here and Hans has some
magic hidden in one of his source codes). Is this possible with
LaTeX? Then, could you send me a small test file off list?

Patrick

* Re: Re: auto sizing an intermezzo?
@ 2003-04-09  7:24       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-09  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 14:33 08/04/2003 -0700, Mark A. Lilly wrote:
>greetings
>
>At 12:44 PM 4/8/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>>> able to
>>> have the

>>if you set the "align" and the height, then the width (when set to fit)
>>will be automatically calculated.
>
>it seems then, that the following should make a narrower box, but for me,
>it's full width, with lots of white space underneath??
>
>%%start intermezzo test
>\starttext
>
>\placeintermezzo
>[]{none}{
>\framed
>[
>height=4.1cm,
>width=fit,
>align=right,
>framecolor=gray,
>offset=5pt,
>]{\rbox{\quotation{...the gift is perhaps not strictly or simply one of
>foretelling, but is
>rather the power of seeing (if only for a flash) \em{everything at
>once}: seeing whole}
>\\
>--Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula LeGuin}}
>}
>
>\stoptext
>%%end intermezzo test

- say \showframe
- remove the \rbox

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* some ConTeXt remarks
@ 2003-04-09  9:37       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-09  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Mark A. Lilly" <misc@tinorb.com> writes:

[...]

> \quotation{...the gift is perhaps not strictly or simply one of
> foretelling, but is
> rather the power of seeing (if only for a flash) \em{everything at
> once}: seeing whole}

I hope you don't mind me adding two comments: replace ... with either
\unknown or \dots, so you get the spacing right. And \em{ ... } does
not work the way you might think; a) it is {\em .... }, the TeX way
and b) \em defaults to slanted; \emph{...} in LaTeX defaults to
italic. Oh, yet antother comment: you might think about using italic
correction before closing the group when you use \sl or \it.

Patrick