* RandomSeed
@ 2003-04-14 12:03 Fermin Otalora
From: Fermin Otalora @ 2003-04-14 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everybody.

I'm trying to get some special effects using Metafun. The idea is to get
slightly different letterheads from run to run of texexec. I tried
randomseed and randomized() but, once the value value of randomseed is
fix in the source, all further graphics are equally distorted. In other
programming languages this is achieved by assigning to the random seed a
value related to the current time and date. I suppose that something
similar (or even simpler) should be available in TeX/Context, but my
expertise seems not enough for this (may be trivial challenge). Could
someone help?

Many thanks

					Fermin

--
Fermin Otalora <otalora@ugr.es>
Laboratorio de Estudios Cristalograficos

* Re: RandomSeed
@ 2003-04-14 12:31 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-14 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fermin Otalora <otalora@ugr.es> writes:

Hello Fermin,

> I'm trying to get some special effects using Metafun. The idea is to get
> slightly different letterheads from run to run of texexec.

you might want to have a look at my reference sheet for emacs
(especially the highlight section), which
you can find at http://levana.de/context/ or directly (hope to get no
typos here) http://levana.de/context/refcard/refcard-layout.tex

There are also probably some examples in the metafun manual.

You don't have to set the randomseed directly. Only if you want to
reproduce the exact numbers you get from uniformdeviate and alike.

Patrick

* Re: Re: RandomSeed
@ 2003-04-14 14:07   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-14 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 14:31 14/04/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Fermin Otalora <otalora@ugr.es> writes:
>
>Hello Fermin,
>
> > I'm trying to get some special effects using Metafun. The idea is to get
> > slightly different letterheads from run to run of texexec.
>
>you might want to have a look at my reference sheet for emacs
>(especially the highlight section), which
>you can find at http://levana.de/context/ or directly (hope to get no
>typos here) http://levana.de/context/refcard/refcard-layout.tex
>
>There are also probably some examples in the metafun manual.
>
>You don't have to set the randomseed directly. Only if you want to
>reproduce the exact numbers you get from uniformdeviate and alike.

indeed, actually, context sets the randomseed for each run (because the mp
randomseed is similar within a minute timespan), so there is no need to
manually

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl