* Custom definition of a bodyfont (and using it)
@ 2003-04-23 12:42 Maarten Sneep
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-04-23 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to make my own headings, and it doesn't really come out the
way I want. I'll describe what I'm trying to do, and maybe someone has
something that can help me.

I'd like to have the chapter number really big, in a (light) colour in
the background. The title should go over the number. If
possible/needed, the number may end up (partially) under the text. I
think I can get the positioning correct (in metapost/metafun if I have
to), but defining the (huge) font in ConTeXt proves a hurdle I cannot
tackle.

My attempts (copied rather directly from the manual) are below.

Thanks for your time,

Maarten

%% This generated no error, but not a really large font either
\definebodyfont[9pt][rm][tfe=LucidaBright at 36pt]
\definebodyfont[9pt][ss][fte=LucidaSans at 36pt]

%% after the following definition, TeX claims it cannot find
%% \MyChapNumLetter
%\definebodyfont[MyChapNumLetter][LucidaSans-DemiItalic sa 4]

%% this example also comes from the manual
\def\MyChapterHeadingCommand#1#2{\hbox to \hsize\bgroup%
	\setupframed[offset=.5em,frame=off]%
	\tbox{\framed{{\color[MyChapNumColor]{\fte\ss\bf #1}}}}%
	\tbox{\framed[width=8cm,align=right]{{\tfa\ss\bf #2}}}%
	\egroup}

%% the obligatory version info:
%% ConTeXt  ver: 2003.3.11  fmt: 2003.3.26  int: english  mes: english
%% (on texlive 7)

* Re: Custom definition of a bodyfont (and using it)
@ 2003-04-23 17:39 ` Maarten Sneep
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-04-23 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again.

I've progressed a little. I've defined my private command the will
generate the heading as I want it to come out. This command works when
in stand-alone mode, for testing purposes. It nicely leaves everything
after it on the grid, just like I want it.

When you want to read along with what I'm doing, the code can be found
here:
http://www.nat.vu.nl/~sneep/msneep.tex

Problem is that when I say:
\setuphead[chapter][command=\MyChapCommand]

some unexpected side effects occur, and an error appears (message
reproduced below). When I remove the \placeongrid code, another error
(undefined control sequence) comes up. And I'd really like to stay on
grid...

I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look at the code
and suggest some improvements.

Kind regards,

Maarten Sneep

! Missing } inserted.
<inserted text>
                 }
<to be read again>
                    \vskip
\forcedpresnapcorrection ...trut }\nobreak \vskip
                                                   -\openlineheight \fi
\dodowithnextbox ... \fi \forcedpresnapcorrection
                                                   \ifdim \nextboxht
 >\ht \st...

\doplaatskoptekst ...ttributes \dostopattributes }
                                                   }\fi
\endheadplacement {#1...

\dodododosomekop ...{#4}\marking [#1\v!nummer ]{}}
                                                   \writesection
{#1}{-}{#4}\...
l.222 ^^I\chapter
                  [knuth]{Donald Knuth}

On woensdag, apr 23, 2003, at 14:42 Europe/Amsterdam, I wrote:
> I'm trying to make my own headings, and it doesn't really come out the
> way I want. I'll describe what I'm trying to do, and maybe someone has
> something that can help me.
>
> I'd like to have the chapter number really big, in a (light) colour in
> the background. The title should go over the number. If
> possible/needed, the number may end up (partially) under the text.

[snip]

@ 2003-04-24  7:38   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-24  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 19:39 23/04/2003 +0200, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>Hi again.
>
>I've progressed a little. I've defined my private command the will
>generate the heading as I want it to come out. This command works when in
>stand-alone mode, for testing purposes. It nicely leaves everything after
>it on the grid, just like I want it.
>
>When you want to read along with what I'm doing, the code can be found here:
>http://www.nat.vu.nl/~sneep/msneep.tex
>
>Problem is that when I say:
>\setuphead[chapter][command=\MyChapCommand]
>
>some unexpected side effects occur, and an error appears (message
>reproduced below). When I remove the \placeongrid code, another error
>(undefined control sequence) comes up. And I'd really like to stay on grid...
>
>I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look at the code and
>suggest some improvements.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Maarten Sneep
>
>! Missing } inserted.
><inserted text>
>                 }
><to be read again>
>                    \vskip

this normally means that you are in the wrong mode, try to add \endgraf or
put a vbox around your code; this messag eis about one of the fuzziest that
tex can bring up

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl