* Widows and Orphans in columns
@ 2003-04-27 14:30 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-04-27 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do the normal controls \widowpenalty and \clubpenalty work with
Context?

Do they work with ordinary columns?

Do they work with columnsets?

Are there higher level Context constructs I should be using for
this purpose in columns?

John Culleton

Free 20MB Web Site Hosting and Personalized E-mail Service!
Get It Now At Doteasy.com http://www.doteasy.com/et/

* Re: Widows and Orphans in columns
@ 2003-04-27 21:04 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-27 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:30 27/04/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Do the normal controls \widowpenalty and \clubpenalty work with
>Context?
>
>Do they work with ordinary columns?
>
>Do they work with columnsets?

probably

>Are there higher level Context constructs I should be using for
>this purpose in columns?

no

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Widows and Orphans in columns
@ 2003-04-28 15:32   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-04-28 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Are there higher level Context constructs I should be using for
>> this purpose in columns?
>
> no

No? What about tolerance?
I thought vertical tolerance would wrap these penalties, too?

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re: Widows and Orphans in columns
@ 2003-04-28 20:35     ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-04-28 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 28 April 2003 11:32 am, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> >> Are there higher level Context constructs I should be using for
> >> this purpose in columns?
> >
> > no
>
> No? What about tolerance?
> I thought vertical tolerance would wrap these penalties, too?
>

> Grüßlis vom Hraban!

Well, I tried \widowpenalty=10000 and \clubpenalty=10000
but still got a lonely widow at the top of a column at the
top of a page. This was with regular columns, not columnset.

\tolerance (and \pretolerance) as defined in the text book relate
to setting of paragraphs and hyphenation. I am not familiar with the
concept of vertical tolerance.

I can of course play with looseness in the particular paragraph.
But I was looking for a more global solution. In single column
work in e.g., pdftex the above widow and club penalties get
the job done.

Should I toy with e.g., \baselineskip (value) plus (value)? This
seems too bitfiddly for a high level macro set like Context. But
I will do what is required. Just point me in the right direction
and pull the trigger :)

John Culleton