From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: RE: Writing Japanese using ConTeXt
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:18:50 +0200	[thread overview]

At 18:33 09/06/2003 +0200, Tim 't Hart wrote:

>When I look at the source of the Chinese module, the most difficult part for
>me to understand is the part about font encoding, the enco-chi.tex file, and
>the use of \defineuclass in that file. I guess it has to do something with
>mapping the written text to the font. If I understand correctly, the Chinese
>module doesn't use Unicode fonts, but GBK or Big5 encoded fonts.

indeed, there is quite some remapping going on there, (one can hook in new
ones if needed); a complication is that the mapping may change per font
(simplified or not)

>get printed in CMR. I did some tests and I could change the font in any
>other font I wanted to, just by using the normal ConTeXt font mechanisms. So
>I guess it is easy to mix Japanese fonts with normal Latin fonts.

the cmr comes from the main font handler so if you choose times or palatino
it would come out that way; in chinese font switching is triggered by glyphs

>With the ConTeXt example that I posted yesterday, I am already able to write
>Japanese in UTF-8, use a Unicoded Japanese font in ConTeXt, and get Japanese
>output. I hope the hard part is already behind me! :-) The only thing that
>still puzzles me is how I can add interglyph space so that TeX can break the
>lines. If someone can help, I would really appreciate it!

for that i need to have samples and fonts,

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl