* No MP graphics after installation under MikTeX
@ 2003-06-03  9:15 Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-06-03  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt users,

I tried to (re)install ConTeXt under MikTeX in the following way, but a
simple test file with a flowchart and a MP graphic gave me the texts of the
flowchart only. Can anybody give me advice?
Thank you in advance,

Sytse Knypstra

These are the steps I took:

0. Perl has already been installed; MS-DOS path contains a.o.
    d:\perl\bin;c:\localtexmf\context\perltk;c:\texmf\miktex\bin

1. Remove old MikTeX through the Control Panel.
    Delete old localtexmf and texmf directories

2. Install MikTeX 2.2 (large). The localtexmf and texmf trees are generated.

3. Remove ConTeXt files through the MikTeX Package Manager.

4. Unzip cont-tmf.zip in c:\localtexmf

5. Unzip runperl.zip in c:\localtexmf\context\perltk

6. Copy texexec.rme to texexec.ini
    Add a % before: set  TeXShell  to  tetex
    Uncomment: % set  TeXShell  to  miktex

7. Copy runperl.exe to texexec.exe, fdf2tan.exe, fdf2tex.exe, makempy.exe,
mptopdf.exe, texfind.exe, texfont.exe, texshow.exe,
    texutil.exe

9. Open a MS-DOS window and go to directory c:\localtexmf\context\perltk.
    Run texexec --verbose. This gives an overview of the settings.

10. In the file pdftex.cfg in the directory c:\texmf\pdftex\config I add:
     map +context.map

11. In the directory c:\localtexmf\tex\context\user copy the file
cont-sys.rme to cont-sys.tex and add:
     \setupoutput [pdftex]
     \recycleMPslotstrue
     Uncomment the following lines:
     \runMPgraphicstrue  and
     \runMPTEXgraphicstrue
     Now the following lines are active:
     \unprotect
     \setupoutput [pdftex]
     \runMPgraphicstrue
     \runMPTEXgraphicstrue
     \recycleMPslotstrue
     \useMETAFUNformattrue
     \newprettytrue
     \protectbufferstrue
     \protect \endinput

12. In c:\texmf\miktex\config we find the file miktex.ini
     Under the heading [ConTeXt] add:
     pool_size=1000000
     write18=enable
     Under [pdfeTeX] add:
     openout_any=a
     shell_escape=t
     allow_multiple_suffixes=f

13. Regenerate de filename database through MikTeX - Options.

14. In the MS-DOS window go to the directory c:\localtexmf\miktex\fmt and run:
     texexec --make en nl metafun mptopdf
     Copy the file metafun.mem to c:\localtexmf\miktex\mem

15. Maybe redundant:  regenerate the MikTeX filename database.

16. A simple testfile  with a short text, a flowchart and a metafun graphic
     does not generate the graphics, but the texts only.

* Re: No MP graphics after installation under MikTeX
@ 2003-06-03  9:41 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-06-03  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, June 3, 2003 Sytse Knypstra wrote:

SK> 2. Install MikTeX 2.2 (large). The localtexmf and texmf trees are generated.

BTW there's a more recent MiKTeX (2.3).

SK> 12. In c:\texmf\miktex\config we find the file miktex.ini
SK>      Under the heading [ConTeXt] add:
SK>      pool_size=1000000
SK>      write18=enable

The problem is that the write18 setting is not seen by MiKTeX
if put under a format-specific section :( Rather, in
texexec.ini change the TeXPassString for MiKTeX to

for  miktex  set  TeXPassString     to  --alias=context --enable-write18

SK>      Under [pdfeTeX] add:
SK>      openout_any=a
SK>      shell_escape=t
SK>      allow_multiple_suffixes=f

(That's web2c syntax ... remove those lines.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: No MP graphics after installation under MikTeX
@ 2003-06-04  7:41   ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-06-04  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta and Helmut Schwertner, for your advice.

In texexec.ini I added --enable-write18 to the line:
for  miktex  set  TeXPassString     to  --alias=context
I ran texexec --make en nl metafun mptopdf,
regenerated the filename database and tried my example again.
The result was still the same: no graphics.
But I noticed the warning (not in the log-file):
Unknown command "mpost"

Does this give a clue to what is wrong?

Sytse Knypstra

* Re[2]: No MP graphics after installation under  MikTeX
@ 2003-06-04 11:04     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-06-04 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday, June 4, 2003 Sytse Knypstra wrote:

SK> Thank you, Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta and Helmut
SK> Schwertner, for your advice.

SK> In texexec.ini I added --enable-write18 to the line:
SK> for  miktex  set  TeXPassString     to  --alias=context
SK> I ran texexec --make en nl metafun mptopdf,
SK> regenerated the filename database and tried my example again.
SK> The result was still the same: no graphics.
SK> But I noticed the warning (not in the log-file):
SK> Unknown command "mpost"

SK> Does this give a clue to what is wrong?

Yes, you either don't have metapost installed or it's not in
the path.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: No MP graphics after installation under  MikTeX
@ 2003-06-06  8:08       ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-06-06  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

SK> But I noticed the warning (not in the log-file):
>SK> Unknown command "mpost"
>
>SK> Does this give a clue to what is wrong?
>
>Yes, you either don't have metapost installed or it's not in
>the path.
>
>--
>Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

I found a file mpost.exe (only 4 kb) in c:\texmf\miktex\bin. Is this
sufficient evidence that metapost was installed?
Isn't metapost installed when installing MikTeX?
If not, where do I get it?
This directory c:\texmf\miktex\bin is in the MS-DOS path.

I still get the warning: Unknown command "mpost"

Sytse Knypstra

* Re[3]: No MP graphics after installation under   MikTeX
@ 2003-06-06  8:37         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-06-06  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friday, June 6, 2003 Sytse Knypstra wrote:

SK>> But I noticed the warning (not in the log-file):
>>SK> Unknown command "mpost"
>>
>>SK> Does this give a clue to what is wrong?
>>
>>Yes, you either don't have metapost installed or it's not in
>>the path.

SK> I found a file mpost.exe (only 4 kb) in
SK> c:\texmf\miktex\bin. Is this
SK> sufficient evidence that metapost was installed?

Uhm. It should be.

SK> Isn't metapost installed when installing MikTeX?

I think it's only installed in some cases (e.g. not with the
"Small" package)

SK> This directory c:\texmf\miktex\bin is in the MS-DOS path.

SK> I still get the warning: Unknown command "mpost"

Can you please try the following? Open an MS-DOS prompt, and
(making sure you're not in c:\texmf\miktex\bin but in any other
directory) please try to run

mpost --version

and report what happens.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: No MP graphics after installation under   MikTeX
@ 2003-06-06 11:16           ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2003-06-06 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Friday, June 6, 2003 Sytse Knypstra wrote:
>

>SK>> But I noticed the warning (not in the log-file):

>>>Yes, you either don't have metapost installed or it's not in
>>>the path.
>>>

>SK> I found a file mpost.exe (only 4 kb) in
>SK> c:\texmf\miktex\bin. Is this
>SK> sufficient evidence that metapost was installed?
>
>Uhm. It should be.
>
>SK> Isn't metapost installed when installing MikTeX?
>
>I think it's only installed in some cases (e.g. not with the
>"Small" package)
>
>SK> This directory c:\texmf\miktex\bin is in the MS-DOS path.
>
>SK> I still get the warning: Unknown command "mpost"
>
>Can you please try the following? Open an MS-DOS prompt, and
>(making sure you're not in c:\texmf\miktex\bin but in any other
>directory) please try to run
>
>mpost --version
>
>and report what happens.

Isn't metapost called with the command "mp" under MikTeX?
Matt

* Re[2]: No MP graphics after installation under   MikTeX
@ 2003-06-06 11:41             ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-06-06 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friday, June 6, 2003 Matthew Huggett wrote:
MH> Isn't metapost called with the command "mp" under MikTeX?

Both names are available:

c:\texmf\miktex\bin>mp --version
MiKTeX-MetaPost 2.3.1222 (0.641) (MiKTeX 2.3)
Copyright 1990 - 1995 by AT&T Bell Laboratories
TeX is a trademark of the American Mathematical Society. METAFONT is a trademark
 of Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. PostScript is a trademark of Adobe System
s Incorporated.

c:\texmf\miktex\bin>mpost --version

@ 2003-06-06 13:04               ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-06-06 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I (re)installed MikTeX 2.3 and ConTeXt according to the following steps and
then ran (outside c:\texmf\miktex\bin): mpost --version.
This gave the following result:
MiKTeX-MetaPost 2.3.1222 (0.641) (MiKTeX 2.3)
Copyright 1990 - 1995 by AT&T Bell Laboratories
TeX is a trademark of the American Mathematical Society. METAFONT is a
trademark of Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. PostScript is a trademark
of Adobe Systems Incorporated.

Sytse "Zachar" Knypstra

Installation of MikTeX and ConTeXt, June 6, 2003

0. Perl has already been installed; MS-DOS path contains a.o.
    D:\perl\bin;c:\localtexmf\context\perltk;c:\texmf\miktex\bin

1. Remove old MikTeX through the Control Panel.

2. Install MikTeX 2.3 (large). The localtexmf and texmf trees are generated.

3. Remove ConTeXt files through the MikTeX Package Manager.

4. Unzip cont-tmf.zip in c:\localtexmf

5. Unzip  runperl.zip in c:\localtexmf\context\perltk

6. Copy texexec.rme to texexec.ini
    Add a % before set  TeXShell  to  tetex
    Uncomment % set  TeXShell  to  miktex
    change the line:
    for  miktex  set  TeXPassString     to  --alias=context
    into:
    for  miktex  set  TeXPassString     to  --alias=context --enable-write18

7. Copy runperl.exe to texexec.exe, fdf2tan.exe, fdf2tex.exe,
    makempy.exe, mptopdf.exe, texfind.exe, texfont.exe, texshow.exe,
    texutil.exe

9. Open a MS-DOS window and go to directory c:\localtexmf\context\perltk.
    Run texexec --verbose. This gives you an overview of the settings.

10. In the file pdftex.cfg in the directory c:\texmf\pdftex\config
     we add: map +context.map

11. In the directory c:\localtexmf\tex\context\user copy the file
     cont-sys.rme to cont-sys.tex and add:
     \setupoutput [pdftex]
     \recycleMPslotstrue
     Uncomment
     \runMPgraphicstrue
     \runMPTEXgraphicstrue

12. In c:\texmf\miktex\config we find the file miktex.ini
     Under the heading [ConTeXt] we add:
     pool_size=1000000
     write18=enable
     Under [pdfeTeX]:
     Under [TeX] we change write18 = disable into write18 = enable

13. Regenerate de filename database through MikTeX - Options.

14. In our MS-DOS window we go to the directory c:\localtexmf\miktex\fmt
     and run:
     texexec --make en nl
     texexec --make metafun
     pdfetex -ini mptopdf
     The file metafun.mem is moved to c:\localtexmf\miktex\mem

15. Maybe redundant: regenerate the MikTeX filename database.

16. A simple testfile with a short text, a flowchart and a metafun graphic
     does not generate the graphics, but only the texts.

* Re[3]: No MP graphics after installation under    MikTeX
@ 2003-06-06 14:16                 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-06-06 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friday, June 6, 2003 Sytse Knypstra wrote:

SK> 16. A simple testfile with a short text, a flowchart and a metafun graphic
SK>      does not generate the graphics, but only the texts.

Uhm. I really don't see why it wouldn't work. Do you still get
the same warning message about not being able to run mpost?

Also, have you added c:\localtexmf\context\perltk to your PATH?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[3]: No MP graphics after installation under   MikTeX
@ 2003-06-06 21:49                   ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-06-06 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 16:16 06.06.2003, you wrote:
>Friday, June 6, 2003 Sytse Knypstra wrote:
>
>SK> 16. A simple testfile with a short text, a flowchart and a metafun graphic
>SK>      does not generate the graphics, but only the texts.
>
>Uhm. I really don't see why it wouldn't work. Do you still get
>the same warning message about not being able to run mpost?
>
>Also, have you added c:\localtexmf\context\perltk to your PATH?
>
>--
>Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

Yes, I still get the same warning message
and yes, c:\localtexmf\context\perltk is in my MS-DOS path (step 0 in my
list of steps).

Sytse "Zachar" Knypstra

* Re[4]: No MP graphics after installation under     MikTeX
@ 2003-06-07  8:28                     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-06-07  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friday, June 6, 2003 Sytse Knypstra wrote:

SK> Yes, I still get the same warning message
SK> and yes, c:\localtexmf\context\perltk is in my MS-DOS path (step 0 in my
SK> list of steps).

I'm lost. If your sample document is small, could you send it
over to me?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: No MP graphics after installation under     MikTeX
@ 2003-06-10 12:27                       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2003-06-10 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Friday, June 6, 2003 Sytse Knypstra wrote:
>
>SK> Yes, I still get the same warning message
>SK> and yes, c:\localtexmf\context\perltk is in my MS-DOS path (step 0 in my
>SK> list of steps).
>
>I'm lost. If your sample document is small, could you send it
>over to me?

Maybe some tools from www.sysinternals.com can give a clue.
Get a copy of Filemon and Regmon for your win-system and copy them to a dir
of your choise (no installation needed).

Start Filemon.exe and enable the "Advanced Output" under the Options menu.
Press CTRL-L for the filter dialog and enter "mpost*;" in the Include:
textfield.
Be sure that capturing is enabled (CTRL-E).

Now start texexec and see what happens...
(Same for Regmon).

Regards,

   Peter

* Re: No MP graphics after installation under     MikTeX
@ 2003-06-10 20:05                         ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-06-10 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, Peter Rolf, for your suggestion.
The tool Filemon showed me that directories were searched from an old 4TeX
installation which I thought I had completely removed.
I searched my whole hard disk for files which contained these paths and -if
possible- deleted them.
Then I ran my test document again. Now the warning message disappeared and
I got not only text, but also graphics!!!
I'm very glad after the frustrations of the past weeks.
I also want to thank especially Giuseppe Bilotta for his efforts to resolve
my problem.

With kind regards,

Sytse Knypstra

At 14:27 10.06.2003, you wrote:
>Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>
> >Friday, June 6, 2003 Sytse Knypstra wrote:
> >
> >SK> Yes, I still get the same warning message
> >SK> and yes, c:\localtexmf\context\perltk is in my MS-DOS path (step 0 in my
> >SK> list of steps).
> >
> >I'm lost. If your sample document is small, could you send it
> >over to me?
> >

>Maybe some tools from www.sysinternals.com can give a clue.
>Get a copy of Filemon and Regmon for your win-system and copy them to a dir
>of your choise (no installation needed).
>
>Start Filemon.exe and enable the "Advanced Output" under the Options menu.
>Press CTRL-L for the filter dialog and enter "mpost*;" in the Include:
>textfield.
>Be sure that capturing is enabled (CTRL-E).
>
>Now start texexec and see what happens...
>(Same for Regmon).
>
>Regards,
>
>    Peter

* start a program with a particular file
@ 2003-06-12  9:12                         ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-06-12  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt users,

Can anybody tell me whether it is possible to start a program with a
particular file?
Let's say I want to start mediaplayer with the file MyMusic.wav.

Thank you,

Sytse Knypstra

* Re: start a program with a particular file
@ 2003-06-12 12:08                           ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2003-06-12 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sytse Knypstra said this at Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:12:01 +0200:

>Let's say I want to start mediaplayer with the file MyMusic.wav.

Well, for this specific example, why not \useexternalsoundtrack (core-fig)?
Acrobat seems to support a fair number of media types in a cross-platform
way, which could get around relying on mediaplayer being around on any
particular machine...

adam

 Adam T. Lindsay                      atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Computing Dept, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/594.537
 Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/593.608

* Re: start a program with a particular file
@ 2003-06-14  9:33                           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-06-14  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:12 12/06/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear ConTeXt users,
>
>Can anybody tell me whether it is possible to start a program with a
>particular file?
>Let's say I want to start mediaplayer with the file MyMusic.wav.

in addition to adam's answer, you can use \goto {something}
[program(somefile)] to get anything launched that the fs supports, like
excel sheets and so on windows; in the coming version file embedding is
also an option (include file in doc, and open it as attachment); i have
this running now also with user defined launch symbols

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: start a program with a particular file
@ 2003-06-16 10:10                             ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-06-16 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I followed Adam Lindsay's suggestion and looked up \useexternalsoundtrack
in core-fig.
But unfortunately I am ignorant of low level TeXnicalities.
I could only figure out that I needed two parameters and by trial and error
I found that they have to be included in [ and ].
The line:
\gebruikexterngeluidsfragment[muziek][C:/Downloads/MyMusic.mp3]
gave no errors, but not a text `muziek' on which I could click for starting
the music.

In the past I used the construction
    \stelprogrammasin[gebied=G:/ConTeXt/Imagine/]
    \definieerprogramma[PQRS][PQRS.exe][PQRS]
    \programma[PQRS].
for launching my program PQRS (without opening a file).

Unfortunately I could not get Hans' suggestion
    \naar{programma PQRS}[PQRS.exe]
working for this case, maybe because the fs does not support it?
Neither could I start my program Sila.exe with a particular file `Sila.spf':
    \naar{programma Sila}[Sila.exe(Sila.spf)]

Maybe I should wait until the coming version.

Sytse Knypstra