* Embedded movies
@ 2003-06-16 19:00 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-06-16 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I somehow completely fail to embed successfully a movie into a pdf.

I tried to test-view http://www/pragma-ade.com/general/uptodate/up-003-s.pdf
but this failed with:
"texwork.mov" cannot be found. Would you like to choose a replacement file?

Then I tried
\externalfigure[elf-iso.avi][height=\textheight,
                               width=\textheight,
                             preview=no,
                              repeat=yes]

The problem I have is that I have neither a working AVI file (the one I
created with mencoder doesn't work with Quicktime or Windows Media
Player due to the codec used) nor a .mov file.
Windows Media player is able to play a MPEG file with the extention .avi,
but Acrobat doesn't like it :-(
Moreover Acrobat Reader is not able to create useful error message :-(

Thus: Is it in principle possible to embed *.mpg files? This would save me
a lot of work. (Somehow I failed to do so when modifying core-fig.tex)
Otherwise, what is the best way to proceed?

Tobias

PS: Rdesktop is a nice way to access Windows from Linux :-)
    but Adobe could support movies in PDFs under Linux :-(

* Re: Embedded movies
@ 2003-06-16 19:10 ` Maarten Sneep
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-06-16 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are you using windows to display? I never got that to work, but Mac
works fine... Besides, movies are not embedded (at the moment), so you
need to have the movie file next to your pdf for display, and use 8.3
names, just to be on the safe side.

Maarten

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 09:00 PM, Tobias Burnus wrote:
> I somehow completely fail to embed successfully a movie into a pdf.
>
> I tried to test-view
> http://www/pragma-ade.com/general/uptodate/up-003-s.pdf but this
> failed with: "texwork.mov" cannot be found. Would you like to choose a
> replacement file?

* Re: Embedded movies
@ 2003-06-16 19:35   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-06-16 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Maarten Sneep wrote:
> Are you using windows to display?
Yes (or more exactly: I access using rdesktop a Windows 2003 server from
Linux).

> I never got that to work, but Mac works fine...
Hmm, I will try tomorrow. The PDF should run on a Mac at the end anyway.

Have you tried .avi's or .mpg's, or only Quicktime .mov's?

> Besides, movies are not embedded (at the moment), so you
> need to have the movie file next to your pdf for display, and use 8.3
> names, just to be on the safe side.
Well, I know that the movie _files_ are not embedded, but I used it - a
bit unprecise - to note the fact that the movies are shown/displayed in
the document (and not by - let's say - starting a external program).

Tobias

* Re: Embedded movies
@ 2003-06-16 19:59     ` Maarten Sneep
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-06-16 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 09:35 PM, Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>> Are you using windows to display?
> Yes (or more exactly: I access using rdesktop a Windows 2003 server
> from
> Linux).

I found out at the wrong moment: I had made this nice presentation,
works nicely on my Mac, but the final presentation machine was a Win XP
machine...

>> I never got that to work, but Mac works fine...
> Hmm, I will try tomorrow. The PDF should run on a Mac at the end
> anyway.
>
> Have you tried .avi's or .mpg's, or only Quicktime .mov's?

Both avi and mov.

>> Besides, movies are not embedded (at the moment), so you
>> need to have the movie file next to your pdf for display, and use 8.3
>> names, just to be on the safe side.
> Well, I know that the movie _files_ are not embedded, but I used it - a
> bit unprecise - to note the fact that the movies are shown/displayed in
> the document (and not by - let's say - starting a external program).

The new pdf 1.5 format will embed (or at least has the possibility to
embed) the files themselves, that's why I was a bit -ahem- annoying.

* Re: Embedded movies
@ 2003-06-16 21:00   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-06-16 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 21:10 16/06/2003 +0200, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>Are you using windows to display? I never got that to work, but Mac works
>fine... Besides, movies are not embedded (at the moment), so you need to
>have the movie file next to your pdf for display, and use 8.3 names, just
>to be on the safe side.

this is strange, mov and avi should both work on windows (since i
implemented them on windows); however, sometimes an quicktime or media
player update messes up the system

acro 6 + pdf 1.5 will provide more multi media; i'll look into that later

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Embedded movies
@ 2003-06-17  9:43     ` Piotr Kopszak
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2003-06-17  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:00:48PM +0200, Pan(i) Hans Hagen był(a) łaskaw(a) napisać:
> At 21:10 16/06/2003 +0200, Maarten Sneep wrote:
> >Are you using windows to display? I never got that to work, but Mac works
> >fine... Besides, movies are not embedded (at the moment), so you need to
> >have the movie file next to your pdf for display, and use 8.3 names, just
> >to be on the safe side.
>
> this is strange, mov and avi should both work on windows (since i
> implemented them on windows); however, sometimes an quicktime or media
> player update messes up the system
>
> acro 6 + pdf 1.5 will provide more multi media; i'll look into that later
>
> Hans

They (avi and mov) do work  both and on both windows and linux (didn't
try on  Mac). I made a  presentation with lots  of avis in it  about a
year ago with ConTeXt and it works fine. Have you got the right codecs
installed on your system?

Piotr

--
   Piotr Kopszak, Ph.D.
   Polish Art Gallery, National Museum in Warsaw

* Re: Embedded movies
@ 2003-06-17 10:10       ` Maarten Sneep
       [not found]       ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0306171205130.3166-100000@g31.physik.fu-berl in.de>
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-06-17 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 11:43 AM, Piotr Kopszak wrote:

> Dnia Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:00:48PM +0200, Pan(i) Hans Hagen był(a)
> łaskaw(a) napisać:
>> At 21:10 16/06/2003 +0200, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>>> Are you using windows to display? I never got that to work, but Mac
>>> works
>>> fine... Besides, movies are not embedded (at the moment), so you
>>> need to
>>> have the movie file next to your pdf for display, and use 8.3 names,
>>> just
>>> to be on the safe side.
>>
>> this is strange, mov and avi should both work on windows (since i
>> implemented them on windows); however, sometimes an quicktime or media
>> player update messes up the system
>
> They (avi and mov) do work  both and on both windows and linux (didn't
> try on  Mac). I made a  presentation with lots  of avis in it  about a
> year ago with ConTeXt and it works fine. Have you got the right codecs
> installed on your system?

Just to be sure that was the case I installed QuickTime the day before
my presentation. And the movies play just fine in the QuickTime player
(stand alone). When I open the pdf and reach the page with the movie, I
get a Open file dialog, asking me to select the movie. When I select
the movie, Acrobat tells me it is not a movie... And to anticipate
these problems, I had made two different pdf-files (one with the avi
and another with the mov linked in).

I normally don't use Windows, and I leave the maintenance of those
machines to others.

Regards,

Maarten

* Re: Embedded movies
@ 2003-06-17 10:35       ` Tobias Burnus
       [not found]       ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0306171205130.3166-100000@g31.physik.fu-berl in.de>
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2003-06-17 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> They (avi and mov) do work  both and on both windows and linux (didn't
> try on  Mac).
What do you mean by "work on Linux"? Are you able to show the movies under
Linux? (This would be great!) Or have you only created the movies under
Linux.

> I made a  presentation with lots  of avis in it  about a
> year ago with ConTeXt and it works fine. Have you got the right codecs
> installed on your system?
Hmm, probably I haven't the right codecs.

I tried now another one (I'm not really a movie expert) and it seems to
work (using: mencoder -noautosub -nosound -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -ovc
lavc -o output.avi elf-iso.avi)

I encountered now this problem with this test file:
\starttext
  \externalfigure[output.avi][height=2em,
                               width=2em,
                             preview=yes,
                              repeat=yes]
\stoptext

a) Using ConTeXt  ver: 2003.1.31  fmt: 2003.4.30
Works ok (I think, using rdesktop I can only see the preview, I don't know
whether the playing works).

b) Using ConTeXt  ver: 2003.4.29  fmt: 2003.6.17:
systems        : begin file test at line 1
)
! Incomplete \ifx; all text was ignored after line 6.
<inserted text>
                \fi
<*> &cont-en test.tex

?

Tobias

* Re: Embedded movies
@ 2003-06-17 12:05         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-06-17 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:10 17/06/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>Just to be sure that was the case I installed QuickTime the day before my
>presentation. And the movies play just fine in the QuickTime player (stand
>alone). When I open the pdf and reach the page with the movie, I get a
>Open file dialog, asking me to select the movie. When I select the movie,
>Acrobat tells me it is not a movie... And to anticipate these problems, I
>had made two different pdf-files (one with the avi and another with the
>mov linked in).
>
>I normally don't use Windows, and I leave the maintenance of those
>machines to others.

you need the movie plug in, actually installing the full quicktime
sometines spoils the movie plugin setup

@ 2003-06-17 12:12         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-06-17 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Tobias,

>b) Using ConTeXt  ver: 2003.4.29  fmt: 2003.6.17:
>systems        : begin file test at line 1
>)
>! Incomplete \ifx; all text was ignored after line 6.
><inserted text>
>                 \fi
><*> &cont-en test.tex

Ah ..

\def\presetundefinedfigure#1%
   {\let\@@eftype      #1%
    \let\@@efextension #1%
    \let\@@efobject    \v!nee
    \let\@@efpreset    \v!nee
    \ifx\@@efbreedte\empty
      \def\@@efbreedte{8\lineheight}% 4cm
    \fi %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ADD THIS ONE
IN CORE-FIG.TEX
    \ifx\@@efhoogte\empty
      \def\@@efhoogte{6\lineheight}%  3cm
    \fi}

@ 2003-06-17 13:31         ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2003-06-17 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 12:35:54PM +0200, Pan(i) Tobias Burnus był(a) łaskaw(a) napisać:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> > They (avi and mov) do work  both and on both windows and linux (didn't
> > try on  Mac).
> What do you mean by "work on Linux"? Are you able to show the movies under
> Linux? (This would be great!) Or have you only created the movies under
> Linux.

Well, not with  Acrobat Reader to be sure. Derek  Noonburg was so kind
to send me  a patch for xpdf which allows playing  movies with help of
any external program. I don't know if this feature was included in the
mainstream version.  I also created  movies under linux, but  this was
not too  easy a year ago. I  tried to use various  tools but exporting
version of xanim was most useful. Now things are (probably) better.

Piotr