* Greek letters?
@ 2003-09-04  9:22 Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2003-09-04  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is probably FAQ stuff but I'm in the middle of the end-of-project
frenzy and don't have much time to hunt for an answer (especially when my
computer arranged for a full day of extra work by busting the hard disk -
at least I now can handily install our TeXLive+ConTeXt publishing
system...).

I would need a capital Omega. I thought this is a piece of cake and found
the command \Omega on the TeX quick reference sheet. Unfortunately it
doesn't seem to work, I just get blank spot in the file.

My font settings are:

\enableregime[il1] %makes ConTeXt Windows compatible
\usetypescript[berry][ec] %magic to make fonts work at all
\setupbodyfont[pos,10pt] %my chosen fonts and font size

Is there a module I should load to get the Greek? Or something I should
put around the command? Or is it just the combination of encoding and
regime that does this?

Help will be deeply appreciated,

Mari from Finland
(with an end-of-project irritated boss)

* Re: Greek letters?
@ 2003-09-04 10:58 ` Patrick Gundlach
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-04 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi> writes:

Hello Mari,

> Or something I should put around the command?

You could put "math mode" ($\Omega$) around the command. But I am not
sure if this will be taken from the default font. At least it is a
workaround.

Patrick

* Re: Re: Greek letters?
@ 2003-09-04 11:39   ` Mari Voipio
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0309041353040.15187-100000@dunedain.cs.tu-be rlin.de>
From: Mari Voipio @ 2003-09-04 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> You could put "math mode" ($\Omega$) around the command. But I am not
> sure if this will be taken from the default font. At least it is a
> workaround.

It works beautifully! I knew there must be something like this...

The Omega I get is at least from a serif font and to my eye looks just
right, so I think it will make the boss happy enough. ;-)

Thanks,
      Mari

* Re: Re: Greek letters?
@ 2003-09-04 12:00   ` Holger Schöner
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0309041353040.15187-100000@dunedain.cs.tu-be rlin.de>
From: Holger Schöner @ 2003-09-04 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Mari,

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi> writes:
> > Or something I should put around the command?
>
> You could put "math mode" ($\Omega$) around the command. But I am not
> sure if this will be taken from the default font. At least it is a
> workaround.

I think, math mode is set up in the typescripts you use. If you use none
explicitely, you probably get computer modern (roman in text, math (italic?)
in math mode, so they are probably different).

For the case you want the same style as in the text, and you know, which
font you are using, you can use something like the following to get a table
of available characters (to see, whether an Omega is available in your font,
and to note its character code) and then use its character code for the
macro \getglyph (first argument is the fontname, second the character
code). The following gets me an omega with the default font selection
(Serif is in this case cmr10):

\starttext
\showfont[Serif]
The character: ''\getglyph{Serif}{10}''
\stoptext

--
Holger F. Schoener
hfsch@cs.tu-berlin.de

* Re: Re: Greek letters?
       [not found]   ` <Pine.LNX.4.44.0309041353040.15187-100000@dunedain.cs.tu-be rlin.de>
@ 2003-09-04 18:43     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-04 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 14:00 04/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello Mari,
>
>On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> > Mari Voipio <mari.voipio@iki.fi> writes:
> > > Or something I should put around the command?
> >
> > You could put "math mode" ($\Omega$) around the command. But I am not
> > sure if this will be taken from the default font. At least it is a
> > workaround.
>
>I think, math mode is set up in the typescripts you use. If you use none
>explicitely, you probably get computer modern (roman in text, math (italic?)
>in math mode, so they are probably different).
>
>For the case you want the same style as in the text, and you know, which
>font you are using, you can use something like the following to get a table
>of available characters (to see, whether an Omega is available in your font,
>and to note its character code) and then use its character code for the
>macro \getglyph (first argument is the fontname, second the character
>code). The following gets me an omega with the default font selection
>(Serif is in this case cmr10):
>
>\starttext
>\showfont[Serif]
>The character: ''\getglyph{Serif}{10}''
>\stoptext

this can be smoothed by:

\definesymbol [omega]  [\getglyph{Serif}{10}]

... \symbol[omega] ...

in symb-*.tex you can see how to define symbols that adapt to the style;
btw, such glyph calls also automatically scale with the font scaling mechanism

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl