* naming and distribution of typescripts
@ 2003-08-26 20:13 Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-08-26 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Walter Schmidt has made the font DayRoman from Apostrophic Labs
available to TeX. Currently the support package doesn't contain any
ConTeXt support, i.e. typescripts.

I've made for me a typescript for these fonts and now Walter is
interested in including ConTeXt support in his package.

His package is distributed as zip-file that can be directly unpacked
in a texmf-tree. Thus, where should the typescript-file be located?
In my private texmf-tree i use
TEXMF/tex/context/user/typescripts/
and the file names start with "cts-" (i.e. cts-dayroman.tex).

Is there some standard how to name typescripts and locate them in
a texmf-tree, so that distribution of typescripts is possible in a
controled way?

BTW, i would prefer that
\usetypescriptfile[dayroman]

first tries to load dayroman.cts and if it is not available it tries
dayroman.tex. Then we can use the extension "cts" for
ConTeXt TypeScripts in the future.

Best,
  Jens

* Re: naming and distribution of typescripts
@ 2003-08-27 19:12 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-08-27 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 26.08.03, um 22:13 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Jens-Uwe
Morawski:
> Is there some standard how to name typescripts and locate them in
> a texmf-tree, so that distribution of typescripts is possible in a
> controled way?

I always name them "type-vendor-collection.tex" (e.g.
"type-adobe-palatino.tex")
and put them into mytexmf/tex/context/user

Typescripts are simply TeX files -- you could put the commands
even in your environment file or like that -- so they should
stay with "tex" instead of inventing something new that
nobody (and noproggy) understands.

BTW: My typescripts files are updated, and my site finally shows file
dates.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/ (material/typescripts.zip)

* Re: naming and distribution of typescripts
@ 2003-08-28  6:55   ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-08-28  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:12:09 +0200
Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 26.08.03, um 22:13 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Jens-Uwe
> Morawski:
> > Is there some standard how to name typescripts and locate them in
> > a texmf-tree, so that distribution of typescripts is possible in a
> > controled way?
>
> I always name them "type-vendor-collection.tex" (e.g.
> "type-adobe-palatino.tex")
> and put them into mytexmf/tex/context/user

IMO, the problem is that an official external package should
not put something in user/. Therefore i would prefer something like
TEXMF/tex/context/type/, but here Hans has to agree so that
future versions of ConTeXt do not use this directory too.

> Typescripts are simply TeX files -- you could put the commands
> even in your environment file or like that -- so they should
> stay with "tex" instead of inventing something new that
> nobody (and noproggy) understands.

ok, on the other hand LaTeXs fd-files are only TeX files too.

@ 2003-09-04 19:59 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-04 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 22:13 26/08/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>Walter Schmidt has made the font DayRoman from Apostrophic Labs
>available to TeX. Currently the support package doesn't contain any
>ConTeXt support, i.e. typescripts.
>
>I've made for me a typescript for these fonts and now Walter is
>interested in including ConTeXt support in his package.
>
>His package is distributed as zip-file that can be directly unpacked
>in a texmf-tree. Thus, where should the typescript-file be located?
>In my private texmf-tree i use
>TEXMF/tex/context/user/typescripts/
>and the file names start with "cts-" (i.e. cts-dayroman.tex).
>
>Is there some standard how to name typescripts and locate them in
>a texmf-tree, so that distribution of typescripts is possible in a
>controled way?

locating is done with kpsewhich

>BTW, i would prefer that
>\usetypescriptfile[dayroman]
>
>first tries to load dayroman.cts and if it is not available it tries
>dayroman.tex. Then we can use the extension "cts" for
>ConTeXt TypeScripts in the future.

how about:

   /tex/context/third/typescripts

cts-*.tex is ok for me, a tex suffix is to be prefered because of (1)
syntax highlighting editors and (2) kpse file searching (also, cts-* is
already denoting the kind of file)

if we can have some kind of QA on packages (say: confirmed that things
work) have no ptoblem with having a third party zip, although ctan is the
most natural place for it (but i can mirror that)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl