* box, strut
@ 2003-09-05  8:01 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-09-05  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

could someone please explain the following result?

\starttext
\setbox0=\hbox{fg}\showbox0
\setbox0=\hbox{\strut fg}\showbox0
\stoptext

gives

> \box0=
\hbox(8.33331+2.33331)x9.46518
./cmr12/f
./cmr12/g

! OK.
l.3 \setbox0=\hbox{fg}\showbox0

> \box0=
\hbox(10.41603+4.05064)x9.46518
.\hbox(10.41603+4.05064)x0.0
..\rule(10.41603+4.05064)x0.0
..\glue 0.0 plus 1.0fil minus 1.0fil
./cmr12/f
./cmr12/g

! OK.
l.4 \setbox0=\hbox{\strut fg}\showbox0

OK, the first box is easy. The second one gives me a slight headache:
why is the rule 10.4 + 4.1 pt? (14.46667 total)

the definition of strut(box) is

 \setbox\strutbox=\hbox{\vrule height8.5pt depth3.5pt width\z@}

so where do the other 2.46667 point come from?

Patrick
--
Silent is the goldfish in its bowl

* Re: box, strut
@ 2003-09-05 10:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-05 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:01 05/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>the definition of strut(box) is
>
>  \setbox\strutbox=\hbox{\vrule height8.5pt depth3.5pt width\z@}
>
>so where do the other 2.46667 point come from?

in context the strut (box) is defined in a non fixed way, i.e. it adapts
itself to the font settings; your def is the plaintex def

grep core-spa.tex for 'strut' (there are actually different kind of struts
and you can define your own)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Extending into the left margin
@ 2003-09-05 10:54   ` Duncan Hothersall
From: Duncan Hothersall @ 2003-09-05 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all.

I'm using the nice \bTABLE natural tables commands to set my tables. I'm
now running into tables which need a little extra space, and since I
have a wide left margin I would like them to extend into it. By default
they extend into the right marging, which doesn't have very much space
and looks ugly.

Because I'm using [split=yes] to enable tables to split over pages, I
don't want to just put the whole table in a box and then shift it to the
left. I am wondering if I can use a localised setuplayout to change the
left margin just for the duration of the table? Or is there another
clean way to get specific tables to extend into the left margin?

Many thanks.

Duncan
dh@capdm.com