* double-lined Z for meaning "integers"
@ 2003-09-09 16:15 Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2003-09-09 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.  I am having trouble finding the right incantation for summoning
the correct Z.  There are some doubly-lined versions of N, Z, Q, and
R, that are used often to signify the sets of natural numbers,
integers, rational numbers, and reals, respectively.

Does anyone know how to get those?  Here's a pic of the Z and Q.  Note
that there's white between the lines -- not fill.

                                 -----
    -------------------        -/     \-
                /    /        /       | \
               /    /        /        |  \
              /    /        /         |   \
              |   /         |         |   |
             /    |        /          |    \
            /    /         |          |    |
           /    /          |          |    |
          /    /           |          |    |
         /    /            \          |    /
        /    /              |         |   |
        |    |              \         |   /
       /    /                \        \  /
      /    /                  \       |\-
     /    /                    -\     /- \
    -------------------          -----    \

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/

* Re: double-lined Z for meaning "integers"
@ 2003-09-09 16:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-09-09 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 12:15 09/09/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi.  I am having trouble finding the right incantation for summoning
>the correct Z.  There are some doubly-lined versions of N, Z, Q, and
>R, that are used often to signify the sets of natural numbers,
>integers, rational numbers, and reals, respectively.
>
>Does anyone know how to get those?  Here's a pic of the Z and Q.  Note
>that there's white between the lines -- not fill.
>

>                                  -----
>     -------------------        -/     \-
>                 /    /        /       | \
>                /    /        /        |  \
>               /    /        /         |   \
>               |   /         |         |   |
>              /    |        /          |    \
>             /    /         |          |    |
>            /    /          |          |    |
>           /    /           |          |    |
>          /    /            \          |    /
>         /    /              |         |   |
>         |    |              \         |   /
>        /    /                \        \  /
>       /    /                  \       |\-
>      /    /                    -\     /- \
>     -------------------          -----    \

math-tex defined:

\definemathcommand [integers]       {\mfunction{Z}}
\definemathcommand [reals]          {\mfunction{R}}
\definemathcommand [rationals]      {\mfunction{Q}}
\definemathcommand [naturalnumbers] {\mfunction{N}}
\definemathcommand [complexes]      {\mfunction{C}}
\definemathcommand [primes]         {\mfunction{P}}

support for blackboard letters depends on the fonts you use, so math-ams
defined:

\definemathcommand [integers]       {\blackboard{Z}}
\definemathcommand [reals]          {\blackboard{R}}
\definemathcommand [rationals]      {\blackboard{Q}}
\definemathcommand [naturalnumbers] {\blackboard{N}}
\definemathcommand [complexes]      {\blackboard{C}}
\definemathcommand [primes]         {\blackboard{P}}

so .. if you use the ams fonts, $\integers$ and $\rationals$ should work

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: double-lined Z for meaning "integers"
@ 2003-09-09 18:47 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-09-09 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Dienstag, 09.09.03, um 18:15 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Ed L Cashin:

> Hi.  I am having trouble finding the right incantation for summoning
> the correct Z.  There are some doubly-lined versions of N, Z, Q, and
> R, that are used often to signify the sets of natural numbers,
> integers, rational numbers, and reals, respectively.
>
> Does anyone know how to get those?  Here's a pic of the Z and Q.  Note
> that there's white between the lines -- not fill.

Normally they're called "blackboard" letters. I know there are several
fonts in every TeX distro. But I don't know how to access them in
ConTeXt.
Sure, the low level way will work, but I guess there's something better
available.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/

* Re[2]: double-lined Z for meaning "integers"
@ 2003-09-10 13:10   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-09-10 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, September 9, 2003 Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 09.09.03, um 18:15 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Ed L Cashin:

>> Hi.  I am having trouble finding the right incantation for summoning
>> the correct Z.  There are some doubly-lined versions of N, Z, Q, and
>> R, that are used often to signify the sets of natural numbers,
>> integers, rational numbers, and reals, respectively.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to get those?  Here's a pic of the Z and Q.  Note
>> that there's white between the lines -- not fill.

> Normally they're called "blackboard" letters. I know there are several
> fonts in every TeX distro. But I don't know how to access them in
> ConTeXt.
> Sure, the low level way will work, but I guess there's something better
> available.

$\blackboard{Z}$ should work if you're using the AMS collection

(\usemathcollection[ams] from memory, check it)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: double-lined Z for meaning "integers"
@ 2003-09-10 15:00   ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2003-09-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> math-tex defined:
>
> \definemathcommand [integers]       {\mfunction{Z}}
> \definemathcommand [reals]          {\mfunction{R}}
> \definemathcommand [rationals]      {\mfunction{Q}}
> \definemathcommand [naturalnumbers] {\mfunction{N}}
> \definemathcommand [complexes]      {\mfunction{C}}
> \definemathcommand [primes]         {\mfunction{P}}
>

> support for blackboard letters depends on the fonts you use, so
> math-ams defined:
>
> \definemathcommand [integers]       {\blackboard{Z}}
> \definemathcommand [reals]          {\blackboard{R}}
> \definemathcommand [rationals]      {\blackboard{Q}}
> \definemathcommand [naturalnumbers] {\blackboard{N}}
> \definemathcommand [complexes]      {\blackboard{C}}
> \definemathcommand [primes]         {\blackboard{P}}
>
> so .. if you use the ams fonts, $\integers$ and $\rationals$ should work

I went grepping around for the commands that you and Giuseppe Bilotta
refer to, but I couldn't find them.  Perhaps my context version is too
old?

  ecashin@marblerye tmp$ texexec --version

   TeXExec 1.9 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

--

@ 2003-09-10 15:43     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-09-10 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday, September 10, 2003 Ed L Cashin wrote:

> I went grepping around for the commands that you and Giuseppe Bilotta
> refer to, but I couldn't find them.  Perhaps my context version is too
> old?

>   ecashin@marblerye tmp$ texexec --version

>    TeXExec 1.9 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

AAARGH!

(yes :))

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: double-lined Z for meaning "integers"
@ 2003-09-12 21:47       ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2003-09-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Giuseppe Bilotta <gip.bilotta@iol.it> writes:

> Wednesday, September 10, 2003 Ed L Cashin wrote:
>
>> I went grepping around for the commands that you and Giuseppe Bilotta
>> refer to, but I couldn't find them.  Perhaps my context version is too
>> old?
>

>>   ecashin@marblerye tmp$ texexec --version
>
>>    TeXExec 1.9 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000
>
> AAARGH!
>
> (yes :))

I apologize for offending everyone by using this old version.  :)

After a long-overdue upgrade, it works with "\integers".