* Superimposing two flowcharts
@ 2004-04-22  7:26 Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2004-04-22  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I would like to make a flowchart in which one shape (FLOWcell) is
essentially bigger than the other shapes (in fact it should occupy the
space for two ordinary shapes).
Now I made two flowcharts; one consists of the one bigger shape, while the
other consists of the remaining shapes (of which two are invisible because
their shape is defined as `node'). My idea is to put one flowchart on top
of the other.
Is this possible? And if it is, how should I do this?
B.t.w. using `offset=overlay' in \setupFLOWcharts gives a syntax error.

Sytse Knypstra

* Re: Superimposing two flowcharts
@ 2004-04-22  9:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-04-22  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:26 22/04/2004, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I would like to make a flowchart in which one shape (FLOWcell) is
>essentially bigger than the other shapes (in fact it should occupy the
>space for two ordinary shapes).
>Now I made two flowcharts; one consists of the one bigger shape, while the
>other consists of the remaining shapes (of which two are invisible because
>their shape is defined as `node'). My idea is to put one flowchart on top
>of the other.
>Is this possible? And if it is, how should I do this?
>B.t.w. using `offset=overlay' in \setupFLOWcharts gives a syntax error.

\startoverlay
   {... de chart ...}
   {... de chart ...}
\stopoverlay

Hans

* Re: Superimposing two flowcharts
@ 2004-04-23  7:53   ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2004-04-23  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Hans.
The remaining problem is that the bigger shape is scaled down to the size
of the smaller shapes.

Sytse

Here is the source:

\setupFLOWcharts[
[ nx=1, ny=1,
  dx=40pt, dy=25pt,
  breedte=260pt, hoogte=130pt
]

\setupFLOWlines
[hoek=rond,
  kaderkleur=blauw,
  pijl=ja]

\startFLOWchart[Observations]  % The bigger shape

\startFLOWcell
  \name{Obs}
  \location{1,1}
  \shape{action}
  \text{{\bf observations}}
\stopFLOWcell
\stopFLOWchart

\setupFLOWcharts
[ nx=3, ny=2,
  dx=40pt, dy=25pt,
  breedte=110pt, hoogte=130pt
]

\startFLOWchart[Parameters] % The smaller shapes

  \startFLOWcell
   \name{Obs1}
   \location{1,1}
   \shape{node}
   \connection[bt]{CanPar}
  \stopFLOWcell

  \startFLOWcell
   \name{Obs2}
   \location{2,1}
   \shape{node}
   \connection[bt]{Means}
  \stopFLOWcell

  \startFLOWcell
   \name {CanPar}
   \location{1,2}
   \shape{action}
   \text{{\bf
canonical\\parameters}\\$\btheta=\pmatrix{\theta_1\cr\vdots\cr\theta_n\cr}$}
   \connection[-r-l]{Means}
   \comment[t]{$\mu_i=h^{-1}(\theta_i)$}
   \comment[b]{$=b'(\theta_i)$}
   \stopFLOWcell

\startFLOWcell
   \name {Means}
   \location{2,2}
   \shape{action}
   \text{{\bf means}\\~\\$\E\Y=\bmu=\pmatrix{\mu_1\cr\vdots\cr\mu_n\cr}$}
   \connection[+l+r]{CanPar}
   \comment[b]{$\theta_i=h(\mu_i)$}
   \connection[+r+l]{LinStruct}
   \comment[t]{link function}
   \comment[b]{$\eta_i=g(\mu_i)$}
  \stopFLOWcell

\startFLOWcell
   \name {LinStruct}
   \location{3,2}
   \shape{action}
   \text{{\bf linear
structure}\\~\\$\pmatrix{\eta_i\cr\vdots\cr\eta_n\cr}={\boldmath{\eta}}=\X\bbeta$}
   \connection[-l-r]{Means}
   \comment[t]{$\mu_i=g^{-1}(\eta_i)$}
   \comment[b]{response f.}
\stopFLOWcell

\stopFLOWchart

\startoverlay
    {\FLOWchart[Parameters]}
    {\FLOWchart[Observations]}
\stopoverlay

@ 2004-04-25 22:11     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-04-25 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sytse,

>The remaining problem is that the bigger shape is scaled down to the size
>of the smaller shapes.

I see, you need a shape that spans n cells. I must figure out a way to
extend the flow charter with that (i.e. a kind of virtual shape, where the
lines are still drawn from separate nodes, something:

\startFLOWspan
  \name{Obs}
  \location{1,1}
  \shape{action}
  \text{{\bf observations}}
\stopFLOWspan

so let's put that on the todo list ... (remind me in a while, i need to
print the modules and look into it)

For the moment, you can do something:

\startFLOWchart[Observations]  % The bigger shape

\setupFLOWcharts
   [nx=3,
    ny=2,
    dx=40pt,
    dy=25pt,
    breedte=260pt,
    hoogte=130pt]

\startFLOWcell
  \name{Obs}
  \location{1,1}
  \shape{action}
  \text{{\bf observations}}
\stopFLOWcell

\stopFLOWchart

\startFLOWchart[Parameters] % The smaller shapes

\setupFLOWcharts
   [nx=5,
    ny=2,
    dx=40pt,
    dy=25pt,
    breedte=110pt,
    hoogte=130pt]

... you need to fix the widths and distances (some kind of larger grid) but
since calculations is part of your profession i leave that to you -)

(you can use \dimexpr for that)

Hans

* Re: Superimposing two flowcharts
@ 2004-04-26 11:25       ` Sytse Knypstra