* columns in latest beta
@ 2012-07-19 14:51 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-07-19 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was writing a reply to Dalyoung, but Wolfgang beat me to it. So I'm
going to ask a question myself:

I'm a bit desperate about columns. I want nothing fancy, just a simple
two-columns layout for a few pages. Unfortunately, the two betas I have
on my computer both have trouble. 2012-06-30 complains about \column:
"undefined control sequence." 2012-07-19 throws an error which I've
never seen before:

system          > tex > error on line 901 in file reader.tex: Bad
register code ...

That's the line where I have \stopcolumns. The full error is this:

\page_mul_flush_preceding_ongrid ...ceding_height
                                                   -\dp
\d_page_mul_preceding...
\page_mul_flush_packaged_columns_indeed ...ongrid
                                                   \else
\page_mul_flush_prec...
\page_mul_flush_packaged_columns_continued ...eed
                                                   \box \columnpagebox
\egroup
\page_mul_routine_continue ...d_columns_continued

}\page_otr_construct_and_s...
\page_otr_command_routine ...mul_routine_continue
                                                   \or
\page_mul_routine_bala...
\page_otr_triggered_output_routine ...and_routine
                                                   \fi

What does this "bad register code" mean? I don't even know where to
begin to look for an error - there is one \start - \stopcolumns
environment earlier in my document, which does appear to work normally.
Any pointers?

Thomas

* Re: columns in latest beta
@ 2012-07-19 15:03 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-07-19 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 19.07.2012 um 16:51 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> I was writing a reply to Dalyoung, but Wolfgang beat me to it. So I'm going to ask a question myself:
>
> I'm a bit desperate about columns. I want nothing fancy, just a simple two-columns layout for a few pages. Unfortunately, the two betas I have on my computer both have trouble. 2012-06-30 complains about \column: "undefined control sequence." 2012-07-19 throws an error which I've never seen before:
>
> system          > tex > error on line 901 in file reader.tex: Bad register code ...
>
> That's the line where I have \stopcolumns. The full error is this:
>

> \page_mul_flush_preceding_ongrid ...ceding_height
>                                                  -\dp \d_page_mul_preceding...
> \page_mul_flush_packaged_columns_indeed ...ongrid
>                                                  \else \page_mul_flush_prec...
> \page_mul_flush_packaged_columns_continued ...eed
>                                                  \box \columnpagebox \egroup
> \page_mul_routine_continue ...d_columns_continued
> }\page_otr_construct_and_s...
> \page_otr_command_routine ...mul_routine_continue
>                                                  \or \page_mul_routine_bala...
> \page_otr_triggered_output_routine ...and_routine
>                                                  \fi
>
> What does this "bad register code" mean? I don't even know where to begin to look for an error - there is one \start - \stopcolumns environment earlier in my document, which does appear to work normally. Any pointers?

I can’t give a answer without more information but you can try to use the new columns mechanism with “\definemixedcolumns[columns]” at the begin of your document.

Wolfgang

* Re: columns in latest beta
@ 2012-07-19 15:12   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-07-19 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I can’t give a answer without more information but you can try to use the new columns mechanism with “\definemixedcolumns[columns]” at the begin of your document.

Yes, this one works OK, thanks Wolfgang! I'll see if I can find a
minimal example that triggers the error...

Thomas

* Re: columns in latest beta
@ 2012-07-19 15:47     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-07-19 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-7-2012 17:12, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On 07/19/2012 05:03 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> I can’t give a answer without more information but you can try to use
>> the new columns mechanism with “\definemixedcolumns[columns]” at the
>> begin of your document.
>
> Yes, this one works OK, thanks Wolfgang! I'll see if I can find a
> minimal example that triggers the error...

keep in mind that mixed columns is work in progress (e.g. I need to add
some footnote handling qas currently all notes end in their column

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: columns in latest beta
@ 2012-07-19 15:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-07-19 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-7-2012 16:51, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> What does this "bad register code" mean? I don't even know where to
> begin to look for an error - there is one \start - \stopcolumns
> environment earlier in my document, which does appear to work normally.
> Any pointers?

a box / dimen mixup .. fixing it now

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE