* how to avoid CID Identity-H encoding?
@ 2012-07-26 15:59 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2012-07-26 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, hi friends,

while the PDF that are produced by MkIV show no problems, some applications that use these PDF files for post-processing have big problems with CID/Encoding Identity-H.

For example (as far as I have understood) german umlauts eg. "ä" are not recognized anymore but split in eg. "a" and diaeresis (with a space between?).

I was told, that other PDF creators have an option to avoid using this kind of encoding.

Is this also possible with MkIV?

Thanks, Steffen

* Re: how to avoid CID Identity-H encoding?
@ 2012-07-26 17:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-07-26 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-7-2012 17:59, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi Hans, hi friends,
>
> while the PDF that are produced by MkIV show no problems, some applications that use these PDF files for post-processing have big problems with CID/Encoding Identity-H.
>
> For example (as far as I have understood) german umlauts eg. "ä" are not recognized anymore but split in eg. "a" and diaeresis (with a space between?).
>
> I was told, that other PDF creators have an option to avoid using this kind of encoding.
>
> Is this also possible with MkIV?

afaik context output the right tounicode info so i have no clue what
goes wrong there

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-07-27  9:36   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2012-07-27  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.07.2012 um 19:35 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 26-7-2012 17:59, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi Hans, hi friends,
>>
>> while the PDF that are produced by MkIV show no problems, some applications that use these PDF files for post-processing have big problems with CID/Encoding Identity-H.
>>
>> For example (as far as I have understood) german umlauts eg. "ä" are not recognized anymore but split in eg. "a" and diaeresis (with a space between?).
>>
>> I was told, that other PDF creators have an option to avoid using this kind of encoding.
>>
>> Is this also possible with MkIV?
>
> afaik context output the right tounicode info so i have no clue what goes wrong there

me neither.

the pdf produced with MkII never ran into this post-processing trouble.
they had this font info, eg.:

Type: Type 1
Encoding: Custom

while all fonts I have tested with MkIV result in this:

Type: Type 1 (CID)
Encoding: Identity-H

and this double-byte encoding confuses the pdf-post-processing machines (I was told).
therefore we are asked to change it.

is there a chance to do so?

@ 2012-07-27  9:50     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-07-27  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-7-2012 11:36, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Am 26.07.2012 um 19:35 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> On 26-7-2012 17:59, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>> Hi Hans, hi friends,
>>>
>>> while the PDF that are produced by MkIV show no problems, some applications that use these PDF files for post-processing have big problems with CID/Encoding Identity-H.
>>>
>>> For example (as far as I have understood) german umlauts eg. "ä" are not recognized anymore but split in eg. "a" and diaeresis (with a space between?).
>>>
>>> I was told, that other PDF creators have an option to avoid using this kind of encoding.
>>>
>>> Is this also possible with MkIV?
>>
>> afaik context output the right tounicode info so i have no clue what goes wrong there
>
> me neither.
>
> the pdf produced with MkII never ran into this post-processing trouble.
> they had this font info, eg.:
>
> Type: Type 1
> Encoding: Custom

probably not always, i.e. when ttf fonts were used it would use those
and related embedding methods but hardly anyone uses ttf in pdftex

> while all fonts I have tested with MkIV result in this:
>
> Type: Type 1 (CID)
> Encoding: Identity-H
>
> and this double-byte encoding confuses the pdf-post-processing machines (I was told).
> therefore we are asked to change it.

you can try to send them ps (pdftops)

> is there a chance to do so?

they should update their machines (read: there is no way that luatex
will provide split into type1 functionality)

(Luigi and Martin probably can explain it better)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-07-27 10:49       ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2012-07-27 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 27.07.2012 um 11:50 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 27-7-2012 11:36, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

>>> afaik context output the right tounicode info so i have no clue what goes wrong there
>>
>> me neither.
>>
>> the pdf produced with MkII never ran into this post-processing trouble.
>> they had this font info, eg.:
>>
>> Type: Type 1
>> Encoding: Custom
>
> probably not always, i.e. when ttf fonts were used it would use those and related embedding methods but hardly anyone uses ttf in pdftex
>
>> while all fonts I have tested with MkIV result in this:
>>
>> Type: Type 1 (CID)
>> Encoding: Identity-H
>>
>> and this double-byte encoding confuses the pdf-post-processing machines (I was told).
>> therefore we are asked to change it.
>
> you can try to send them ps (pdftops)
>
>> is there a chance to do so?
>
> they should update their machines (read: there is no way that luatex will provide split into type1 functionality)
>
> (Luigi and Martin probably can explain it better)

yes, please! I am very interested in more information on this, as I expect hard talks.

the problem is that more and more our context PDF files are not used as print files, nor as "classical" PDF files.
there main use tends to be as feed material for Flash and other applications that reprocess our PDF file for on-line environments, subscribers.

Steffen