* Throwing an error on missing image with \externalfigure
@ 2012-07-31 12:18 Tobias Mueller
From: Tobias Mueller @ 2012-07-31 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-context

Hi :-)

I'd like ConTeXt to raise an error if it can't find an image when using \externalfigure. I really don't want to check a potentially big document for missing images manually and while I could grep the log myself in an additional post processing step, I really want ConTeXt to do raise the error for me, not a potentially broken script written by me.

I've seen the other thread: http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2011/059485.html but there is no answer there. I also expected a similar behaviour to "\input" which fails on a non existing file.
My thinking was that there is either a switch for "context", i.e. like "-Werror" or a way to set context up from within the document, i.e. by telling it to be in a "final" mode.

So my question is: How can I make ConTeXt raise an error on a non found image?

Cheers,
  Tobi

* Re: Throwing an error on missing image with \externalfigure
@ 2012-08-01  7:48 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-08-01  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-7-2012 14:18, Tobias Mueller wrote:
> Hi :-)
>
> I'd like ConTeXt to raise an error if it can't find an image when using \externalfigure. I really don't want to check a potentially big document for missing images manually and while I could grep the log myself in an additional post processing step, I really want ConTeXt to do raise the error for me, not a potentially broken script written by me.

often in the process of writing a missing (pending ) image is no reason
for an abort

> I've seen the other thread: http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2011/059485.html but there is no answer there. I also expected a similar behaviour to "\input" which fails on a non existing file.
> My thinking was that there is either a switch for "context", i.e. like "-Werror" or a way to set context up from within the document, i.e. by telling it to be in a "final" mode.
>
> So my question is: How can I make ConTeXt raise an error on a non found image?

Currently it's not possible. In fact, it would involve more checks then,
like missing references or so. It then would be some special mode and
aborting a run would also mean that the partial pdf should be removed.
So, it's a bit more work than just a few lines. Maybe later this year.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-08-17  9:11   ` Tobias Mueller
From: Tobias Mueller @ 2012-08-17  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bonjour :)

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 09:48:56AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 31-7-2012 14:18, Tobias Mueller wrote:
> > I'd like ConTeXt to raise an error if it can't find an image when using \externalfigure. I really don't want to check a potentially big document for missing images manually and while I could grep the log myself in an additional post processing step, I really want ConTeXt to do raise the error for me, not a potentially broken script written by me.
>
> often in the process of writing a missing (pending ) image is no reason
> for an abort

Hm. I consider it a serious and fatal error if I requested an image to
be included and it not being available. I would want to know how much
space the image occupies, where it is placed, whether it makes words
wrap correctly. And that's only in the development process of document.

During "deployment" it is a much bigger problem for me. I use to
generate my documents on a server (i.e. after committing to my favourite
version control system) and have them automatically published.
Obviously, I want the document generated by the server to look the very
same. And I am very good at accidentally not checking in dependencies to
my VCS. So the server side might in fact lack the necessary images. And
I wouldn't want to embarras myself by having a document missing images.
So a failure in the build process would help me a lot.

> > So my question is: How can I make ConTeXt raise an error on a non found image?
>
> Currently it's not possible.
Too sad. Looking forward to later this year then.

> aborting a run would also mean that the partial pdf should be removed.
I don't think it is necessary. Just having the program not returning a 0
exit code would help at least me for now.

@ 2012-08-17 10:18     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2012-08-17 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 17 2012, Tobias Mueller wrote:

> And I wouldn't want to embarras myself by having a document missing
> images. So a failure in the build process would help me a lot.

Instead of calling context directly, you can make a script, that throws
an error after grepping the log-file.

--
           Peter

* Re: Throwing an error on missing image with \externalfigure
@ 2012-08-17 10:33       ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2012-08-17 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:18:53 +0200, Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17 2012, Tobias Mueller wrote:
>
>> And I wouldn't want to embarras myself by having a document missing
>> images. So a failure in the build process would help me a lot.
>
> Instead of calling context directly, you can make a script, that throws
> an error after grepping the log-file.

Or maybe try to hook the file lookup routine (probably Hans could give some more details) so that it raises an error (or e.g. logs the event) in the case of location failure.

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: Throwing an error on missing image with \externalfigure
@ 2012-08-17 14:43       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-08-17 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-8-2012 12:18, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17 2012, Tobias Mueller wrote:
>
>> And I wouldn't want to embarras myself by having a document missing
>> images. So a failure in the build process would help me a lot.
>
> Instead of calling context directly, you can make a script, that throws
> an error after grepping the log-file.

or this:

\externalfigure[rubish.pdf]
\ifcase\figurestatus\relax \ctxlua{os.exit(999)} \fi

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE