* setuptex on Debian
@ 2012-08-24 15:13 Peter Rolf
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Peter Rolf @ 2012-08-24 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

just testing a module on a fresh Linux (Debian 6.0.5-i386) with the
latest standalone. No messages when calling 'setuptex', but the PATH to
the binaries is not set correctly here. I manually added the binary path
to '.bashrc' and it worked.

# add ConTeXt binaries to PATH
PATH=~/context/tex/texmf-linux/bin:$PATH

Peter

* Re: setuptex on Debian
@ 2012-08-24 15:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-08-24 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24-8-2012 17:13, Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just testing a module on a fresh Linux (Debian 6.0.5-i386) with the
> latest standalone. No messages when calling 'setuptex', but the PATH to
> the binaries is not set correctly here. I manually added the binary path
> to '.bashrc' and it worked.
>
> # add ConTeXt binaries to PATH
> PATH=~/context/tex/texmf-linux/bin:$PATH

recently i had to configure a debian machine (normally i use opensuse)
and found out that some scripts didn't work because instead of bash
something dash (b->d) was used ... maybe that's the issue

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: setuptex on Debian
@ 2012-08-24 15:49   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-08-24 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/24/2012 11:36 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> recently i had to configure a debian machine (normally i use opensuse)
> and found out that some scripts didn't work because instead of bash
> something dash (b->d) was used ... maybe that's the issue

The "safest" thing to do for scripts is to stick to /bin/sh - the POSIX
shell. Bash is a good shell but not the default shell on many *nix, BSD
and *nux systems. On BSD, it has to be installed as an optional package.
/bin/sh may not always be the default but I've yet to find a system
where it isn't present in the default install.

/bin/sh is a superset of the original Unix Bourne shell and implements
most features of ksh - the Korn shell.

Relying on the features of any other shell (bash, dash, csh, zsh &c.)
may get some extra functionality but breaks portability. Bash will run
scripts written for /bin/sh without modification but the reverse is not
always true.

Just an FYI from someone who's been using Unix, derivatives and
work-alikes since Bell Labs V7 :)

--
Bill Meahan
Westland, Michigan USA

* Re: setuptex on Debian
@ 2012-08-24 16:13 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-08-24 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just testing a module on a fresh Linux (Debian 6.0.5-i386) with the
> latest standalone. No messages when calling 'setuptex', but the PATH to
> the binaries is not set correctly here. I manually added the binary path
> to '.bashrc' and it worked.
>
> # add ConTeXt binaries to PATH
> PATH=~/context/tex/texmf-linux/bin:$PATH

In the archlinux PKGBUILD that I maintain, I use the following setuptex:

~~~
TEXMFOS=/opt/context-minimals/texmf-linux
export TEXMFOS

TEXMFCACHE=$HOME/texmf-cache
export TEXMFCACHE

unset TEXINPUTS MPINPUTS MFINPUTS

PATH=$TEXMFOS/bin:$PATH
export PATH

OSFONTDIR="$HOME/.fonts;/usr/share/fonts;"
export OSFONTDIR
~~~

Aditya

* Re: setuptex on Debian
@ 2012-08-24 16:32 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-08-24 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just testing a module on a fresh Linux (Debian 6.0.5-i386) with the
> latest standalone. No messages when calling 'setuptex', but the PATH to
> the binaries is not set correctly here. I manually added the binary path
> to '.bashrc' and it worked.
>
> # add ConTeXt binaries to PATH
> PATH=~/context/tex/texmf-linux/bin:$PATH

You should call
$> . setuptex
(warning: there is an initial '.' ! )
or
$>source setuptext
 but the last one is a bash extension.

--
luigi

* Re: setuptex on Debian
@ 2012-08-24 16:50   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-08-24 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/24/2012 12:32 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> $>source setuptext
>  but the last one is a bash extension.

Actually it is in ksh (or ksh93) predefined as an alias for '.'

I *think* it's in the POSIX standard but I'm not quite sure.

'sh' on Debian-derived systems (including *buntu) is an alias for dash,
not the POSIX shell although the man page for dash says it is being
worked on for POSIX compliance.

--
Bill Meahan
Westland, Michigan USA